Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Fabrication 101

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.


Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 04-07-2015, 11:01 AM
fabcam's Avatar
fabcam fabcam is offline
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcrawlr1 View Post
I see. So the end I am placing the (x) on and pulling my tape from was not the desired end for wizard to calculate. A notation of that might help others in the future. You have been very helpful Cris. I also agree with you that the BLO is close and that I am having a bend angle issue. I'm sure there is some mathematical way to determine how much I need to add to either the spring back or take up to get the 60" center.
Please note that tube can spring differently from batch to batch.

.
__________________
The Designers of Bend-Tech Products
www.Bend-Tech.com
Bend-Tech Dragon web site:
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-07-2015, 11:11 AM
rokcrawlr1's Avatar
rokcrawlr1 rokcrawlr1 is offline
Junior Fabricator
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabcam View Post
I agree. I will either have the wizard change or create notes. I hate to have the "X" go the opposite way for the wizard only. This will be fixed for the next patch release.
Not sure if we have a breakdown in communication or not. Sometimes I read into things too much.
I place an (x) at the end of every tube I manufacture as my reference from where I hook the end of my tape. I did the same for the calibration. The (x) end swings around the shop as I continue to make new bends.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-07-2015, 11:18 AM
fabcam's Avatar
fabcam fabcam is offline
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcrawlr1 View Post
Not sure if we have a breakdown in communication or not. Sometimes I read into things too much.
I place an (x) at the end of every tube I manufacture as my reference from where I hook the end of my tape. I did the same for the calibration. The (x) end swings around the shop as I continue to make new bends.
You are doing it correct.
__________________
The Designers of Bend-Tech Products
www.Bend-Tech.com
Bend-Tech Dragon web site:
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-07-2015, 12:12 PM
TheBandit's Avatar
TheBandit TheBandit is offline
Instagram @chevyhotrodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabcam View Post
Now with that said, maybe the problem all along was the bend angles were not tight enough.
The asymmetric leg lengths lead me to believe the bend angles aren't the issue. Some potential causes that came to my head, in order of likelihood, were (1) placement of the start of bend / offsets (2) die calibration (3) incorrect use of inside vs. outside vs. center line dimensions when creating the design

*EDIT* I went back and reread the thread and it looks like you are saying the leg lengths were in fact the same side-to-side. This leaves two likely possibilities still (1) bend angles incorrect and (2) incorrect use of inside vs. outside vs. center line dimensions when creating the design. I suppose die calibration could be a factor too if the spring-back CLR isn't correct, but the material usage must be right since you are getting the correct leg lengths.
__________________
Clint

Last edited by TheBandit; 04-07-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-07-2015, 12:20 PM
rokcrawlr1's Avatar
rokcrawlr1 rokcrawlr1 is offline
Junior Fabricator
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
The asymmetric leg lengths lead me to believe the bend angles aren't the issue. Some potential causes that came to my head, in order of likelihood, were (1) placement of the start of bend / offsets (2) die calibration (3) incorrect use of inside vs. outside vs. center line dimensions when creating the design

*EDIT* I went back and reread the thread and it looks like you are saying the leg lengths were in fact the same side-to-side. This leaves two likely possibilities still (1) bend angles incorrect and (2) incorrect use of inside vs. outside vs. center line dimensions when creating the design. I suppose die calibration could be a factor too if the spring-back CLR isn't correct, but the material usage must be right since you are getting the correct leg lengths.
Yes the leg lengths were correct after all. I am using the center of the tube and the apex of the bend for my design
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-07-2015, 12:32 PM
TheBandit's Avatar
TheBandit TheBandit is offline
Instagram @chevyhotrodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 4,235
My questions below assume you are doing an interior cage:

So when you measure for your hoop, you are measuring the inside width of the vehicle and then subtracting 1 tube diameter from that to get the centerline spacing for the width of the hoop?
For the height, are you subtracting half the tube diameter to get the centerline spacing from the upper part of the hoop to the bottom ends of the legs?
When you are finding the apexes for the bends, are you using imaginary points that are outside of the vehicle, where the tube would make a sharp bend if it continued on to a point? Are you using a centerline apex or an outside apex?
__________________
Clint
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-07-2015, 01:23 PM
rokcrawlr1's Avatar
rokcrawlr1 rokcrawlr1 is offline
Junior Fabricator
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
I am doing an interior cage. I held some scrap pieces at the roofline where I like them and measured from floor to center of the scrap. Same with the uprights. For the apex I eyeball where 2 lines would infersect.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 PM
rokcrawlr1's Avatar
rokcrawlr1 rokcrawlr1 is offline
Junior Fabricator
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
I admit I don't know the proper way to determine the apex. id really appreciate a lesson or a link to some more info on the matter. Like I said before I just eyeball where I think the center of the bend will be based on where I want the tubing. IT doesn't always work for me.

I did re make the hoop. I basically input more data into the spring back chart and compared my results with a protractor. It's closer but not perfect. I had to spread the hoop apart 1" this time.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-13-2015, 09:05 AM
fabcam's Avatar
fabcam fabcam is offline
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcrawlr1 View Post
I admit I don't know the proper way to determine the apex. id really appreciate a lesson or a link to some more info on the matter. Like I said before I just eyeball where I think the center of the bend will be based on where I want the tubing. IT doesn't always work for me.

I did re make the hoop. I basically input more data into the spring back chart and compared my results with a protractor. It's closer but not perfect. I had to spread the hoop apart 1" this time.
In assembly we now have tangent of bend. This helps a ton for interior cages. I have a video on how to use this somewhere. I will try to find it today.
__________________
The Designers of Bend-Tech Products
www.Bend-Tech.com
Bend-Tech Dragon web site:
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-13-2015, 09:06 AM
fabcam's Avatar
fabcam fabcam is offline
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 4,552
Here is the YouTube bend-tech using an elbow video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQLsYldyPck
__________________
The Designers of Bend-Tech Products
www.Bend-Tech.com
Bend-Tech Dragon web site:
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 AM
rokcrawlr1's Avatar
rokcrawlr1 rokcrawlr1 is offline
Junior Fabricator
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Yes that helps a ton! Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-19-2015, 11:47 AM
RogueFab's Avatar
RogueFab RogueFab is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 154
If you ever want to try another way, we usually go off of the start of a bend, which is nice, because it doesn't change if you bend more (apex does). Tangent also doesn't change when you bend more. To do the bend start method, you can take a scrap bend, cut at the end of the bend, and hold it up where it goes, and just measure from that end to the floor, and then us that for your design (add cutoff of course).

Sounds like you are well on your way. Did you get the main hoop figured out? made? I hope so.
__________________
Air/Hydraulic tube benders- $595 with 180 degree die set
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-19-2015, 12:35 PM
rokcrawlr1's Avatar
rokcrawlr1 rokcrawlr1 is offline
Junior Fabricator
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
I cannot attach pictures here for some reason. The manage attachment button isn't available like every other forum I'm used to.

Yes I did get moving forward with everything. There was an issue in wizard that fabcam helped me solve. Since I have had great success with producing the desired bends. Now that I have learned to used tangent start and end I don't think I'll ever go back to apex bending for my needs.


http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...ose-build.html
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 PM
CarterKraft's Avatar
CarterKraft CarterKraft is offline
Master Fabricator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 837
I think you need to be a OFN member to upload attachments hosted on OFN.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS
Copyright 2012, Offroad Fabrication Network