Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Old 10-29-2015, 04:01 PM
Fabricator

Fab'ing for side income?

Who does small jobs on the side? I was at lunch with a friend today who has a very small consulting side business that compliments his full time sales job. He doesn't make much, but he does make some money and it helps with taxes and such. He got me thinking about a small side business for myself. When my son starts school next year I am going to have a couple days a week to myself since my full time job is 3-4 days a week on shift work. I know I won't get rich, but if I could make a little on my spare time and get a tax break on new equipment then why not.

I would do small jobs like gates fab, repairs, and some custom work as I gained experience.

If you do this how did you get started and how hard is it to manage the legalities?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Master Fabricator

I use my fab time as my woosaw time... it funds my personal builds and tools ive been wanting.
I'll never make it rich cause i have cheapass customers, but i love what i do and pour my all (which aint much) into all the builds/repairs.

As for legalities.... i slept through that class
Old 10-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrler View Post
I use my fab time as my woosaw time... it funds my personal builds and tools ive been wanting.
I'll never make it rich cause i have cheapass customers, but i love what i do and pour my all (which aint much) into all the builds/repairs.

As for legalities.... i slept through that class
That is about the extent of my aspirations as well. The business side would be interesting just to learn how to do it. If for no other reason than knowing how in case a more lucrative opportunity came along. I don't know that I would be very good at it since organization has never been a strength of mine. I can't even manage to keep receipts for my buggy!
Old 10-30-2015, 02:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Red face

It all depends on your location!!

Who else in your area does this type of work??

It will be all the junk people want fixed for cheap or no one else wants to touch. Then these same people have no real concept of what can be done.

As for legal again location one pain in the butt neighbor can cause all sorts of problems.

I have a friend just building a shop so far over a year dealing with the township He is even more out in the woods then me.

Quite a different thing when you have a good business and for what ever reason start to down size .( Get real picky about what you do)

Just deal with a few customers you know that pay!!

Starting from scratch can be real frustrating

then to do the welding
Old 10-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Fabricator

I don't mind doing the small, crappy jobs until I get some experience dealing with people and doing the work. I think I'd start to figure out what I am more interested in focusing on pretty quick.

Who knows, I might just focus more on working on my toys with my spare time and find that I have less time for anything else, especially in riding season!