Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Grinders, Chop Saw's, Sawzall's, etc ... Which brand? Why? Consumables?

Hand Tools Grinders, Chop Saw's, Sawzall's, etc ... Which brand? Why? Consumables?

Old 09-05-2015, 12:03 AM
Master Fabricator

2" grinder

I'm thinking about buying a 2 in air grinder. I'm looking for something with some more guts than a regular die grinder and hopefully to have the grinding wheel a bit closer than the ones mounted on a 1/4 shank so they don't try to torque out of my hand. Having a guard would be nice as well. I'm not looking to replace my 4 1/2 in ones. Just looking for something that will fit in tight spaces. Anybody use these little grinders? Which one did you buy and would you buy it again?
Old 09-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Master Fabricator

Dotco
IR
CP

I used em all, last time I looked they were about the same, power, price($80-$150), etc.
Depending on what you get, I do change the lube in the angle drive
I should note that none of these have any real "Guts" you do not get torque out of a small housing...

E
Old 09-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Master Fabricator

E~ I quit buying the IR air tools when I noticed they had the identical body as the Harbor Freight ones and then found out that IR started sourcing from China Inc. I can't see paying $80 for the IR name when they are identical to the Chinese ones for $20. Now I look for the CP ones or I just buy the cheapies and they seem to last almost as well as any of the other mid range box store or hardware store ones.

Jaysin

P.S. Well, I just did a little looking and it seems that the IR ones are no longer the same as the HF ones but I can't seem to find any info on country of origin for IR air tools. So maybe they are better now. I don't know.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Haven't been in a HF store in years so I can't make that comparison.
I guess full disclosure would require that all of my experience goes back to when these tools were 'Made in USA'... AKA: the olden days

One other idea if you have the tools and skills: find a good quality tool that is used up and re-machine it; treat it to a Bore, port and polish, and some new vains and bearings and you can end up with a Badassed tool for dirt.
I have a steel cased 1/4" Die Grinder that hit the trash 20-years ago. A couple hours of time and you had damn-well better be hanging on to it when you hit the throttle... It idles like a top Fuel Car If I had to replace it I'd be looking in the $1000 price bracket.

E
Old 09-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Master Fabricator

I have done simple port jobs on a few die grinders and it really wakes them up but I found I really have to watch the line pressure or they over speed. I've never seen a steel cased die grinder do you have a picture you could post.

And to the OP, I haven't ever seen a right angle die grinder with a guard for 2" sanding discs. I did run across a gearless head one that seemed pretty short from the CL of the handle to the face of the sanding disc but the head was a bit too big for getting into tight places. I can't remember the name of the gearless one either but I would bet a quick search would bring it up.

Jaysin
Old 09-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Master Fabricator

...it kind of looks like the 40G but isn't.

E
Old 09-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Master Fabricator

Now those are some nice looking die grinders. Any Idea on their prices? I couldn't seem to find any pricing on their website.

Jaysin
Old 09-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
Now those are some nice looking die grinders. Any Idea on their prices? I couldn't seem to find any pricing on their website.

Jaysin
No Idea.

E
Old 09-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Junior Fabricator

Harbor Freight

Pound for pound, you can say whatever you want about them, they are the best deal going especially when they are on sale.
I have used CP, IR, Snap On, Dotco and a variety of others. I loved the Dotco's but they are only for the Rich Man, now.
That said, I might add these are not used in a Hobby environment. They get hard use.
The Harbor Freight strait and angle die grinders, I run them at 175 psi and, I know another guy doing the same and you can't kill them. We got 4 years of daily use on them, keep em lubed. Their air drills are also good, with only one problem and that is the chucks and chuck keys, they turn to crap after a while.
But for the price I can throw them away and buy a new one and not be bothered putting a Jacobs chuck on them.
Other than that, if it works for you great.

Bambi
Old 09-08-2015, 08:46 AM
Master Fabricator

So I guess what I'm asking is it worth buying one of these 2 in grinders vs using a right angle die grinder with a wheel on a 1/4" shank? I understand I'm not going to have a ton of torque out of the thing but to me my die grinders aren't adequate to pull a 2 inch grinding wheel.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm going to say that none of the 1/4" Collet type angle "Grinders" is going to spin a 2" wheel satisfactorily. Spin a sanding disk is a different deal and then yes they will work.

E
Old 09-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Master Fabricator

It just dawned on me that I think we are all off track of what the OP is asking about. I think he is not asking about the 1/4" shank type 2" right angle die grinders but instead asking about this...

Here's a link.

I have to say I have never used this type of air grinder. I have used a 4 inch air grinder like this though and all I have to say about that tool is that you will need a HUGE compressor to keep up with it.

I can see how this wee little 2" beastie would be very handy though.

Jaysin
Old 09-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Master Fabricator

That or something similar is exactly what I was talking about. I've used and liked 4.5" air grinders, just never a 2". I keep having to do stuff where none of my 4.5" will fit but it sucks grinding down a bunch of weld with a 1/4" shank die grinder. I'm just looking for something to help speed this up and be able to fit in tight places with a cut off wheel.