Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Software Tech/Questions

Software Tech/Questions Do you use CAD? Curious about it? It can be a great tool to have in the shop. This is the place to talk about it!

Software Tech/Questions Do you use CAD? Curious about it? It can be a great tool to have in the shop. This is the place to talk about it!

Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Master Fabricator

10?

Anyone jumping to 10 for free?
Lots of hype but little information.

E
Old 07-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Fabricator

I'm signed up for it on two of my PCs but neither was updated last might. Will be interesting to see. The reviews I've read indicate it's an improvement on 8 but that shouldn't be difficult to achieve. Really didn't like 8 or 8.1.

Joanne
Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM
Master Fabricator

You might want to hold off. My sister's computer updated last night and now it will only stay on for about two minutes before it reboots due to some sort of driver issue.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice! 2-min and booted.

I've done a really minor amount of reading and for the way I use this device, I can't see where a new and improved OS is going to be of any advantage, just like the last one brought nothing useful to the table.

E
Old 07-31-2015, 01:17 PM
Here to chew bubblegum

I will be holding off for a while I think. Lack of full driver support mainly, but also I have no issues with 8.1.

I'm one of those people that actually likes the metro start screen. The 8.1 start screen lets you organize your application shortcuts into groups, and also hide all the unused stuff. I have 20+ shortcuts organized by application type (documents, cad, graphics, etc) all available with one mouse click, and all while not having to minimize anything.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Master Fabricator

I don't know this site, I came across it from a FB link;
http://www.filmsforaction.org/articl...cclaimed-news/
Old 08-04-2015, 12:22 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysFlOoReD View Post
I don't know this site, I came across it from a FB link;
http://www.filmsforaction.org/articl...cclaimed-news/
I will admit that I have been puzzled for weeks now...

If the give it away free, how can they make any money?
You can't make any money, if you give it away free?

All in all it's another brick in the wall
E
Old 08-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I will admit that I have been puzzled for weeks now...

If the give it away free, how can they make any money?
You can't make any money, if you give it away free?

All in all it's another brick in the wall
E
I am a little shy of loading it on my own computers but I am renting a room from a guy as I am working out of town who has it on three computers and sasy it makes them all faster due to its operating style.

I also questioned the free. Sounds to good to be true I told him.

He looked into that as well and said the reason they are giving it away (they are giving it away for a limited time only) is because they released it too soon after their last Windows and sooooooooooo many people complained they had just bought the last one and were pissed off.

As ones in the past were bought and used for years before an update. But Ten was released to soon after 8.

Thats what he thinks and says. May or may not be true. You can research it some.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Master Fabricator

For what its worth, I've been using Windows 10 preview for aalmost a year on my home PC via the "Windows Insider" program and really like it. It takes many of the aspects of the UI of Windows 7 that people miss and integrates them into the optimizations and efficiency upgrades that Windows 8/8.1 offered. Honestly, it feels more like a service pack upgrade then a whole new OS to me. If you like it, you can still use the Metro style start menu, but it defaults to one more like Windows 7. Also, gone are the days of a full screen app you can't escape from.

I really like Windows 10 and will be upgrading all of my computers soon. The only one I had pre-scheduled to do so was my laptop, which some Scumbag stole out of my truck last week.

Its odd that people are having driver issues, as I haven't had a single one so far. Even in the beggining when NO ONE was making Windows 10 specific drivers, just installing the Windows 8 one worked every time.

I have heard of a few people having problems upgrading though. Most of them were people who are not particularly computer savy. I imagine that the Microsoft call center has had a pretty busy week though. Some people had to do a fresh install instead of upgrading, which sucks because you loose a lot of data files doing it that way. I can't say it wouldn't hurt to wait, but so far this has been one of the more successful OS roll outs that Microsoft has done and overall its doing pretty well in the "Critical Success" category.

Also note, as of now, while Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 8 in perpituity, for Windows 7 they have only said it is for a year. I haven't seen an official statement about how much it will cost after that year, but its something to consider. I suspect they might just keep it free forever, but it might be a ploy to force you to pay too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz4sand View Post
I am a little shy of loading it on my own computers but I am renting a room from a guy as I am working out of town who has it on three computers and sasy it makes them all faster due to its operating style.

I also questioned the free. Sounds to good to be true I told him.

He looked into that as well and said the reason they are giving it away (they are giving it away for a limited time only) is because they released it too soon after their last Windows and sooooooooooo many people complained they had just bought the last one and were pissed off.

As ones in the past were bought and used for years before an update. But Ten was released to soon after 8.

Thats what he thinks and says. May or may not be true. You can research it some.
I think that may be part of it, but not the primary reason its free to upgrade.

First, they are still selling Windows 10 to people with new computers, whether its an OEM like Dell or Lenovo buying it or someone who built their own PC. While it has never been free to upgrade between OS versions in the past, they have always done deep discounts for those upgrading. This is true even when there wasn't any reliable way to make money beyond the initial point of sale, which brings me to the real reason they made it free to upgrade.

Its no longer as cut and dry as just making a piece of software and selling it these days. Microsoft has decided to take a page out of Google's book and provide something for free in the hopes that they will increase their market share. In turn, the people using Windows 10 will have the ability to purchase apps, buy subscription services to Windows 360 (the new cloud based Windows Office equivalent) and other services, upgrade to a better version of Windows 10, not to mention all of the advertisement revenue opportunities available.

Here is a great article explaining this.... http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/16/82...ft-makes-money

Essentially, they get you to use the free OS upgrade, you get used to it and rely on it, and then they hit you up to upgrade or add services. Plus, many of their new features feed into their search engine Bing or their new internet browser so they get the add revenue instead.

Its all a big attempt at having control of all your technology with one platform. They already have a grasp of your PC and Desktop, and the idea is to make it so your phone and tablet offers a familiar and connected platform that people want to use. Once they have that, they have a lot of control and plenty of ways to monetize.

Last edited by Haku; 08-04-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Fabricator

My company sent us an email telling us not to upgrade yet as some of our programs may not work with it. Last night I saw that there is a program that claims to be Win10 but takes over your computer. Be careful. Jim
Old 08-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Master Fabricator

I have about 65% of the 'features' of 7 turned off.
I disabled Scripts so that 67.9% of the web does not autorun and when I see the number of scripts gets to some value I just vacate the site.
I don't use/participate in any of the "Social Media" CULT'allure.
I quit Gaming a decade-plus ago.
With one exception I refuse to use cloud based computing and I think even that one is going away due to my lack of connection Speed.

From what I have read and what friends and family have related about 10, there is no real "Improvement" with ten; just like there was nothing gained between W2k and 7.
For the short term I'm going to stay with 7. I'll build a new box maybe next year, and then I'll finally learn Linux.

At-least that is what I think I'm doing