Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Master Fabricator

projects on my Cavalier autox/trackday car (seriously)

Im pretty new around here so I thought Id share some stuff that Im currently working on. Yes, its a cavalier, but Im hoping most will be pleasantly suprised by the car and the work Ive done and/or is in progress.

I wont go into a ton of detail on the car, but my current project is a slight redo of the rear suspension. A few years ago I swapped to a Beretta style torsion beam (its lighter and supposedly stronger), and created my own jackbolt style adjustable spring perches, added some Mustang double adjustable race shocks and single rate Eibach springs, Daytona rear disc brakes etc.

Here are some pics of that setup before I started the current project(s)

Fully assembled

Custom lower articulating perch that I designed (but had machined)

Jack bolt is accessable inside the trunk. (and ya, my welds here sorta suck and I likely should have just stitched them on)

Anyway, Ive been shedding a bunch of weight off the car the last year or two (I think Im down close to 2380) and the rear just wouldnt go low enough. I discussed running a shorter spring with Gordon at Koni, but he didnt think I would have enough travel.

Rather than modifying the chassis any more, I decided to make some offset hub plates to lower the car without chaning the suspension geometry and keeping the same travel. Also I wanted an adjustable rear swaybar (which also shed another 13lbs and removed almost 20lbs of unsprung weight)

New setup:

I designed the swaybar mount in SW and had it laser cut.

And the beam finished up.

Any constructive criticism, thoughts, comments etc welcome. I will continue to add to this post. Hopefully I can learn something while Im here.

Dan

Last edited by juicedz4; 01-22-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Junior Fabricator

did you weld the beam ends on? if so your welds improved quick.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Yes I did.

The welds on the jack bolt plates to the car were done a couple years ago with my crappy 110v craftsman mig. So I was pretty new and the welder sorta sucks.

Dan
Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Fabricator

Interesting car to start a build with, but your execution looks great so far! The rear beam truss resembles the tried and true VW motorsports style, nice work. You just need to dimple die those holes in the beam to really set it off!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Ya, its def not the best car to be doing any build with, Ill agree. However, Ive had it since 1992. We've been through a lot together. I figure until I can get my shop built and have more time and money for a real racer Id screw around with this.

I basically did copy the vw setup. I figured if it worked well for them, itd do just as good for me.

Hmm... dimpling those holes is a good idea. However, Im not sure how I could get in there with a press to do it (the V beam design may prevent it). Also the metal is quite thick. Ill have to take a look. I do have a set of dies here....

EDIT: maybe I can use a bolt and the impact on the dies.

Dan
Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Master Fabricator

Did a final test fit of the beam sunday, all is well. While that is off at the powder coater Im back to the front of the car working on the lightweight quick release front end.

Back to working on the front end.

I picked up the steel brackets for the core support from the laser cutter on the way home from work. Managed to get them welded together, and welded to the car.

The new upper core support mainly done, including tabs for the hood pins.

And welded up what will be the new bumper support.

There is still a lot that needs to be done, but I almost have enough to start working on the bars for the headlights and grille. Im hoping to have complete by the end of next week.

The plan is for the bumper cover support and the upper core support, headlights, grille etc to all come out as one assembly by simply removing 4 pins.

Dan
Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Junior Fabricator

Nice project, is that a quad 4 engine?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Master Fabricator

No, its the OHV 2.2 with a "little" work done.

Dan
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Master Fabricator

Nice work man.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks! I try.

I got the new 3" midpipe and mufller welded up on tues night. I still need to create a hanger for the muffler and make the aluminum Y and side pipes.

It hangs down like an inch or so, not bad.

Adding things up this new 3" exhaust should be 17lbs lighter than my old 2.5" with the cutout. Not bad.

Dan
Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 AM
Master Fabricator

Finished up the midpipe and its hanger tonight. Just need to paint it up now.

Also finally cut out the plates (again, with my trusty bosch jig saw) for the monoball setup. One is basically all done. I just need to make some relief cuts between the control arm holes so it can go all the way in (its short by about 1/8"). The other still needs the cup welded and the reliefs cut.

monoball plate vs. stock balljoint.

Dan
Old 02-05-2011, 03:01 AM
Master Fabricator

How Big of turbo and how much pressure? Ectec ? I thinking that some of the Gm guys were doing pretty good in the 4 cylinder FWD classes? Good looking parts on the car!! My son gets into FWDs, it's just hard for me to get use them.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Master Fabricator

its a 50 trim. I still havent been on the dyno yet, but the plan is to run somehwere in the 20's psi (or at least tune for it) which should be like 400whp and more tq.

Picked up the beam and my door panel skins from powder yesterday. Managed to get one door panel on. Which I think look much better than the raw alum.

Dan
Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Fabricator

Really nice work. The door panels do look nice. Project seems well thought out.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Fabricator

The rear suspension is really different. I have never seen anything like it. Is the rear suspension basically one peace or is it independent? Either way, great work. It's looking good.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Great stuff. Do you have any pictures showing the whole car?

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSprocket View Post
Really nice work. The door panels do look nice. Project seems well thought out.
Thanks!. I try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairmnofthboard View Post
The rear suspension is really different. I have never seen anything like it. Is the rear suspension basically one peace or is it independent? Either way, great work. It's looking good.
The rear suspension is basically stock. Its really one piece, however it twists suprisingly easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Great stuff. Do you have any pictures showing the whole car?
Not a ton really. Seems like its never together long enough to get a decent shot. Here is what I do have:

notice the 'awesome' old rear ride height.

and what it should be like after this latest project is done.

cage after paint, before interior

The whole smash of pics can be found here: http://clubhousecustoms.com/gallery2...DZ4/?g2_page=2

Dan
Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Master Fabricator

Pretty good progress this week.

Tues I finished welding up the ball joint plates. I also got the bearings pressed in and painted them.

Tonight I bolted one in.

The new flywheel came today. Tonight I got the flywheel, clutch, transmission, starter, cables, mounts, driver side suspension subframe etc etc all back in. I also pulled the struts and knuckles out so I can ream out the ball joint holes and Im going to shorten the strut tubes 3/4".

Im headed over to my buddies race shop sat am to bend up a bumper support tube. Im really hoping by the end of next week Ill have that on, and most of the suspesion together.

Dan
Old 02-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Fabricator

You have taken one of my 5 least favorite cars and successfully turned it into something badass, excellent work! What total weight are you shootin for?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks!

I dont have specific goal in mind really. I think Im going to be somewhere around 2375 after this latest round of redux. Thats wet minus driver.

Dan