Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Master Fabricator

Can't believe I've never thought of zip ties to hold things together.... DOH!

Looks great!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Master Fabricator

haha the humble ziptie! My angled magnets were either too big or angles were wrong so found them real useful to pull 1 end of a tube in place while i concentrated on the other..
Old 06-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Master Fabricator

HALLELUHAH!!!!!!

still got a pile of gussets bigger than the average knicker factory to put in but structure-wise the bitch is done....

i feel a celebratory beer or 2 are in order!!!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonsniffer View Post
HALLELUHAH!!!!!!

still got a pile of gussets bigger than the average knicker factory to put in but structure-wise the bitch is done....

i feel a celebratory beer or 2 are in order!!!!!
Yes by all means

Looks good!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Master Fabricator

GUSSETS!!!!

remember that flaring tool i made a while back??? finally it got some use today..

the plan was this:

so i found some mild steel hiding behind the guillotine at work (hmmm cant think who hid it there last month... )

they still need cutting to match the angle of the doorbars (as shown on the top one) but other than that were in buisness...

Old 06-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Master Fabricator

Looks very good, are the gussets are required for where you're going to be racing?
Just as an asides, a buddy of mine wants me to build him a rally cage for next year
in this...

Looks like fun...
Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 AM
Master Fabricator

ooooooh mk1 capri!!!! very rare over here!!! stunning cars.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:52 AM
Master Fabricator

Hmmm...
Mk1 Capri and the 2, we had RSR in town and I used to like hunting the RSR's back in the day... Then again I wasn't supposed to rev that 2.0L EAO to 10kRPM ether. LOL! Them were the days!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Master Fabricator

nowt exciting but another bit made...

after having to cut the front legs down a touch so the cage would drop down low enough to weld the top of the roof bars i had to make some small boxes to take up the gap...

25mm tall... 3mm thick mild steel... decided a square box would be boring as **** so put a 30degree slope on 1 edge...

hardly taxing in the world of fabrication but its another bit done...
Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Master Fabricator

aint done much tbh...

a LONG day on site yesterday 5am - 9pm meant i was a bit tired today so decided to just throw some red-oxide on the cage to protect it and start measureing up the tank (finished size will be 695x200x340 which should give about 50 litres) also started measuring up for the colomn mount..

nowt exciting and wont be for a while as next weekend i`m at a uk drag strip for a truck show doing my cheesy saleman routine!!! (not my choice as i prefer being in the workshop!!)

cant wait to ditch all this ugly pressed steel stock bracketry...

Old 06-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Fabricator

Something I've done for welding clearance is cut a hole in the floor and once you're ready to weld the tops slide the base plates out and whammo, 4-6" of pure welding joy clearance

Cage looks good!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Master Fabricator

yeah theres a guide on the miller site....

http://www.millerwelds.com/education...article96.html

that says do similar unfortunatly at the front on the 106 theres a main box section that runs across and the front wishbone fixes onto it... i agree though if possible it would have made life so much easier....
Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Master Fabricator

right... top mounts in a "hokus-pokus" style

first take 2 plain undrilled eccentric compbrake top mounts:

remove the bearings...

then machine them down to 115mm diameter....

stick them on the mill and put some flat edges on them...

the new turret top has been drawn up on cad and i`ve also drawn up a jig to lay over the blanks to drill the centres for the 4 M8 fixings...

ps- sorry about the damn metric measurements.. there a wasps cock over 4 1/2" diameter
Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
there a wasps cock over 4 1/2" diameter
That friends is smack in the middle of a Frogs Hair and a RCH...

Old 06-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
ps- sorry about the damn metric measurements.. there a wasps cock over 4 1/2" diameter
Now that's some funny chet!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Master Fabricator

the scry thing is i aslo help out a local guy working on old norton singles (manx and featherbeds) and have to keep switching from metric and imperial (why the hell we had to adopt metrification is beyond me!!!!)

anyhow.. moving on....

how do you position 2 threaded bosses in exactly the same place as the originals when you have to cut the std brk off the bulkhead???????

answer: make a jig!!!!!

all this gets bolted onto the std points and clamped onto the dash bar... then the bolts are taken out... the pressed bkt cut off the bulkhead.. new pieces made and the original position can be guaranteed to be the same place...

or at least thats how i`m gonna do it...

oh yeah... and also cut the ally angle down...

once done.. remove jig and throw it in the bin... a lot of assing about but gotta be done...
Old 07-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Master Fabricator

well i wont lie.... ive been feeling a bit ropey today.. a combination of westons cider... some red wine that my mate danny found in his cupboard and also a dabble in the world of "real ale" last night has took its toll....

now before i carry on with progress i`ll freely admit i dont think me or dan-the-man will be applying to CAMRA anytime soon.. i`m sure the pro`s would select there ber on hops/brewery/brewing methods etc etc.. me??? erm.. i kind of went for the funnyest name option.. so dan was on the "hobgoblin" and myself was supping "fiddlers elbow"...

anyhow i`m rambling and you american tyoes will be thinking " what the hell is this limey talking about!......so... PROGRESS!!!

started dismantling the willans shoulder straps and re-wraped the around the harness bars, threaded the crutch straps in and sat the seat in position..

at this point i got niggly... i wasn`t inline with the steering wheel!! now i never was before the rebuild so why this bothered me so much i dont know.. but it did.. the problem seemed to be the fooking tunnel bulge thats here for standard seats pushing everything towards the sill

but viewed from underneath the floorpan stays fairly constant:

so there seemed only 1 logical solution.... so... erm.. remember the lovely seat bars i`d fitted??????

i wont lie.. it was a tough decision but i knew leaving that tunnel bulge in place would bug the **** outta me everytime i drove the car so it had to be done!!

i then chopped these bits out:

and the resulting tunnel means i can get the seats and steering wheel inline and it will also look a bit tidier.. and a bit lighter...

and this folks is where i left things..

fingers crossed by next sunday it`ll have seat bars back in....
Old 07-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
i wont lie.. it was a tough decision but i knew leaving that tunnel bulge in place would bug the **** outta me everytime i drove the car so it had to be done!!
I hear ya....I'm the same way. It sucks to have to tear something out and re-do it, but It's better done now than after it is complete and you keep looking at it and cussing because you should have.....

Car is coming along nicely
Old 07-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Master Fabricator

yeah... at least they`re isn`t any fresh paint to worry about...

well the tunnel is now fully cleaned up and all spotwelds drilled/ground off..

the dotted line is just a rough idea of where the new panel will go i`ll make a pattern first then try and get somewhere near this...

also gonna make another smaller U shaped piece that i`ll weld underneath the tunnel as the thought of heaving on the handbrake lever and having it pull through the french tin isn`t very appealling... funny.. but not appealing....

the laser cut stuff for my top mounts should arrive next week so that`l be another job to crack on with to......

also after looking through this forum i now keep having ideas about how cool a hayabusa powered buggy would be.. unfortunatly with only 24 hours in a day i think it`ll have to stay in the "drunk thoughts" folder for now...
Old 07-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Master Fabricator

right...

i wont bore you... made a pattern.. drew round it.. cut out steel.. bendy bendy.. weldy weldy.. 3mm plates.. weldy weldy..

BOSH

1 wrapped tunnel with seat rail plates...

also with major luck (about ****ng time i had some) i had enough tube for 4 longer seat rails..

didn`t weld them in though as i left my digilevel at work... i also have some more side mount brackety bits from the laser cutters as 1 or 2 got damaged in my rage removing the old ones...

at a guess i`d say theres a good 40mm (erm... american translator - a bit over inch and a half!!!) more room either side now to pull the seats towards the centre

the laser cut bits turned up today so with a bit of drilling and tapping i give you....

camber adjustable topmounts a-la stu!!!