Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:01 AM
Master Fabricator

Project CHIMERA

So I'm not sure if this certain project is meant for this thread but in my opinion it fits better here then anywhere else. Please move if needed.

Project CHIMERA

-1992 Dodge Dakota, ext cab, reg box, v6 magnum with 5 speed. Price- Free
-1993 Nissan 240 Pro am Drift Chassis -unsellable (i don't want to talk about it)
-All aluminum LS 6L 400hp, t56 Tranny, ford 9" linked rear

Objective- Build the most unique, one-off, most offensive, insane and because why not toy truck or car or well you decide.

-Components used from the Dakota will be, Frame, front suspension, cab and box.
-Components used from the drift car will be, Entire front clip ( firewall forward) fenders, headlights, hood,front bumper, frame work, rear over fenders, tail lights, and possibly side skirts.

Here was the truck the day she rolled in

She is partially stripped inside and out. Left it at this moment so i can still drive it in and out of the shop. Need to bring in the drift chassis here soon.

Here is the front end from the drift chassis that i will be using

The all might LS

Here is the bare chassis as it sits now

I have a friend who wants to draw it up to see what it may look like. With a bit of metal and fibreglass work she will look good. She will be a hooner for sure lol. on a side note, I have amazing room in this truck fro being 6'5" lol.

This is gonna be loved by some but I'm sure it will be hated by many.

Last edited by SKEGGERNAUT; 03-27-2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: name change
Old 02-19-2016, 06:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Lost me im afraid,why would you stick the nissan front end on the truck??
Old 02-19-2016, 08:38 AM
Master Fabricator

Can't sell the Nissan chassis, not gonna give it away nor throw it away. Figured I might aswell use it somehow. It was all really a series of misfortunate events that led to this. Sooo why not I say lol.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Master Fabricator

Awwhh, bugger it... why not build this? You've obviously got most of the skills & parts to make this one off special - a unique beast that will reflect your abilities & personality. From Oz I say... go for it. Who knows, you might even start a trend of a new type of vehicle! I am a very experienced automotive fiberglasser (see my tutorials on car building on my WJP004 You Tube Channel), so if you need any advice later on in that area I'll be watching this thread & glad to help if I can. Dare I ask what the back end of that drift car looks like?
Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Awwhh, bugger it... why not build this? You've obviously got most of the skills & parts to make this one off special - a unique beast that will reflect your abilities & personality. From Oz I say... go for it. Who knows, you might even start a trend of a new type of vehicle! I am a very experienced automotive fiberglasser (see my tutorials on car building on my WJP004 You Tube Channel), so if you need any advice later on in that area I'll be watching this thread & glad to help if I can. Dare I ask what the back end of that drift car looks like?

Well Thank you very much for that, i will definitely check out your tutorials. I have only dabbled in fibreglass once already and results turned out good. I love building things that are not like everything else in this word, if it starts a trend cool but not the objective, but cool that would be. I have gotten a lot of hate over this but that does not deter me one bit. As for the rest of the drift car there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I bought the car complete with the ls in it but being 6'5" i could not fit with good visibility. The intentions were to sell complete rolling chassis and find another platform that fit me better. I could not get a fair price for it and I'm not into loosing money like that. I can use all parts between my two projects now so to me that is not a loss. The truck was free from a friend who lost interest in it and the key lol, i have loads of room now for my lanky ass and it will still work for drifting. I have a bunch more work done now and will post pics soon in a few days to show where i am. below is a pic of my first fibreglass work, it is a 07 dodge caliber that had front end damage when i bought it for a inter beater. Could not find a replacement front bumper under 300$ and one day a friend ask if a s-10 bumper would work and again it was free so i said lets see what we can do lol. It wasn't perfect but i learned a lot from it.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:33 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Nice job on that bumper! Where do you find the time for these projects??? Are you still working on the Talon too?

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Master Fabricator

I see like me you hate white cars. Before I re-checked this page I looked at your pics via the link to your photo albums that came in the auto email response from this site. I saw the sketch of the red & black paint job and thought "That looks fully sick - but he'll never really do that." Then I return to this page & see you HAVE done it! Not just a dreamer (like most gearheads), but a do-er. Good on yer. This attitude and determination and the ability to see your visions through to reality will serve you well in life - and bring you a lot of personal satisfaction. Pardon me sounding like some ancient philosopher from a Kung Fu movie, but as an old phart I know this from experience. Someone like you who needs no-one else to get things done will accomplish what others wouldn't even consider or have a clue about doing. Either that or you're just a crazy fool! Hahhahaha
Old 02-23-2016, 06:00 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Nice job on that bumper! Where do you find the time for these projects??? Are you still working on the Talon too?
Thanks!! I work a 14 days on and 14 off scedual at work so I got time, lol. Yes the talon project is still being worked on, I have delayed it from May this year to May next year. I have tube for my cage coming soon, need to put a cylinder on my bender and get some plans. I want to take my time with that one where it will be a racer and I want it to look as good as it will perform.

Last edited by SKEGGERNAUT; 02-24-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
I see like me you hate white cars. Before I re-checked this page I looked at your pics via the link to your photo albums that came in the auto email response from this site. I saw the sketch of the red & black paint job and thought "That looks fully sick - but he'll never really do that." Then I return to this page & see you HAVE done it! Not just a dreamer (like most gearheads), but a do-er. Good on yer. This attitude and determination and the ability to see your visions through to reality will serve you well in life - and bring you a lot of personal satisfaction. Pardon me sounding like some ancient philosopher from a Kung Fu movie, but as an old phart I know this from experience. Someone like you who needs no-one else to get things done will accomplish what others wouldn't even consider or have a clue about doing. Either that or you're just a crazy fool! Hahhahaha
Thanks man, that was awesome and I thank you. I love this stuff and always try to stick with it, not like most dreamers like you say. 98% of the work I do I also by myself, I have a friend that comes and helps when needed and he's not opinionated like most. This way I build it how I want and when I want.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Well the last two days have been very progressive. Processed the drift chassis to make easier to move and dispose of it. Got the box, front clip and engine trans removed from the Dakota. Cleaned all components off fire wall to make room for the fitment of the 240 front clip. I have a game plan for how it will fit just need to put some good thought into it looking at every option possible. Going to pick up a 240 rear sub frame for an I.R.S set up that will help keep her stuck to the road and handle the ponies.

240 front clip removed

Nissan 240 stuffed into a short box lol

Box removed before bringing inside again

Front clip and engine pulled.

Frame rested in place before any trimming

Decided to throw on fenders and bumper to see how close things were looking.

Pic of my ugly mug, cheers everyone. More updates soon.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:33 AM
Master Fabricator

Made a pile of new progress in the last few days, Pics and description below.

So i decided the dodge suspension just wasn't gonna cut it for the drift world, so this is what i did. Went to a local wrecker and got a full setup from a nissan 240sx. Both front and rear suspension is all on subframes so using them is super easy.

The front section of the dodge literally sucks for mounting the front 240 sub frame. I had a jeep frame from a yj kicking around and width was perfect for the subframe. Just sleeving then fish plating the jeep front section into the dodge chassis

Front subframe tucks nicely above the main frame rails

Here is the front subframe and suspension roughed into place

Things are looking good

Last edited by SKEGGERNAUT; 03-01-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Looks good mate. I'm really interested to see where you go with this. Changing your mind as things develop and adapting bits lying around in your yard or mind is an enjoyable part of building your own creation, isn't it.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:28 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Looks good mate. I'm really interested to see where you go with this. Changing your mind as things develop and adapting bits lying around in your yard or mind is an enjoyable part of building your own creation, isn't it.
It sure is man, it sure is.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Well the frame is all welded up, front suspension is roughed into place, front nose is secured to the body, Solid mounted the cab, front body kit in secured and played around with side skirts. The tire in pics is just sitting in place to estimate what i calculated my final ride height will be. The tire will have a bit more camber and will move in slightly till the top of the tire is flush with the fender. Soon it will be time to tackle the rear sub frame, should be pretty easy to get that mounted.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:51 AM
Master Fabricator

So the front is fully set into place with suspension in place, lots more finish work is needed. Played around with the body kit a bit and started the fitting process. Got the main rear frame replaced and tacked into place, now just need to mount the sub frame. Gotta put cage in after that and tie it all together before fully welding everything into place. Not bad for 16 days of work, now back to work for 14. Next days off I'm stripping another 240 for some parts for this thing and to sell whats left.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 AM

That is an interesting chimera. Nice progress!

Old 03-10-2016, 01:33 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
That is an interesting chimera. Nice progress!
Thanks, it's been working out well for me thus far. Interesting choice of words, mind you I had to look that up lol. Cheers
Old 03-28-2016, 12:16 AM
Master Fabricator

Well i have been hard at for a little over a month now, progress has been awesome and quick. Cage is almost done being fabed up and front and rear subframes are in place. This is my first cage so be kind, Lots of gussets and such are still needed but overall i love how it turned out. Only a couple mistakes and so far about 4 feet out of 90ft has been wasted. Enjoy the pics and for more random updates feel free to fallow me on any of my social sites.

https://www.instagram.com/warpedfab/
https://www.facebook.com/Warped-Fabr...3278185257309/

Old 03-28-2016, 12:31 AM

You sir do not mess around! Looking great. Something like that would take me DECADES to progress so far.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Great work on the chassis caging. I thought I was the only one who used masking tape like that! What shall we call it??? Masking Tape Design... MTD ??

Love your design so far and the ways you're re-enforcing & tying everything together. One good guideline for a great scratch build IMHO is if everything ends up just looking like it belonged together all along, to the degree that most people cannot appreciate just how much cut, shut & attempts it took to fab it into the finished product. You're already starting to get that appearance. The bits look as if that was where they always were. Well done.

Last edited by Redliner; 03-28-2016 at 01:17 AM.