Go Back OFN Forums > Vendor Q&A > Bend-Tech

Old 02-20-2021, 01:58 PM
Junior Fabricator

Wrapper help

Hi Guy's
There is a spec on some wrappers that i just don't understand what it's telling me to do this has nothing to do with the program it's all me not understanding i like to cut and cope all my tubes before bending so i print out the wrappers for straight and the ones that will be bent and get this info from one end

Cut Size 1.375
Cut Angle 3.12
Offset 0
Setback 0
Rotation 278.12

and the other end

Cut Size 1.5
Cut Angle 7.92
Offset 0
Setback 0
Rotation 100.3

What i don't understand is what is the Rotation telling me to do,rotate the tube from where is there a zero degree starting point ?
I can cut one end then kinda eyeball the other so what the heck am i missing iv'e had Bend-Tech over ten years i have contacted Bend-Tech a few times but still don't understand their explaination so i figured i would give it one more try here.
Thanks for any help
Dean
Old 02-22-2021, 01:40 PM
Fabricator

I feel your pain! On straight pieces, just line the two lines up on each of the wrappers on each end. On bent pieces, it apparently lines up with the outside bend radius of the end of the tube that the bend is on (it took me a LONG time to wrap my head around this). I typically mess with 1.625 tube, so I took half of that, plus the thickness of the tube, and made a little "block" out of flat bar that I can lay the tube down on something flat with that bend on it, and use my block to mark the outside radius with it...then I line that mark up with the line on the wrapper.

Why they did it that way is a mystery to me...as, on any tube with an out of plane bend, you're going to have to mark the tube with a starting "zero" point that all of your rotation is based off of. It would be a LOT more intuitive to just say, for any tube with an out of plane bend, make sure you add a line to each end of your tube for aligning any cutting wrappers. The rotational degrees are already being used in the program to determine the bends now...it shouldn't be a stretch to index them off of the original centerline from those.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:36 AM
Junior Fabricator

I agree, the confusing part is where is ZERO there has to be a starting point for this to work in my opinion just don't understand how you can rotate a part if there is no 0 deg starting for straight or bent part and i thought i was the only one that doesn't understand this maybe someone else will chime in here and help i'm old but not dead but sometimes it's best to see it done to understand the process i even suggested that to BT but never heard anything.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:50 PM
Fabricator

http://www.bend-tech.net/wiki7/index...tting_Wrappers

This is as good an explanation for the cutting wrappers I've located. I'm still hung up on the "line up with the outside radius of the bend" though

A line on the cutting wrapper, indexed to your starting zero mark would make so much more sense lol.