Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 05-01-2017, 04:19 PM
Junior Fabricator

JD2 Model 32 Cad? hole spacing Q

Hey guys, building a vertical bender and have a JD32 die already but don't have the accurate spacing of the holes to hold the following bar. I pretty much just need to know what the distance is from the center of the main pivot. At the moment only worried about making it work for a 1 1/2" 5.5 rad die but if I can get all the holes that would be even better. Seems I can find the Model3 easily but the bigger machine is proving harder to find info on. TIA

Cheers
Old 07-24-2017, 05:23 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerophobic View Post
Hey guys, building a vertical bender and have a JD32 die already but don't have the accurate spacing of the holes to hold the following bar. I pretty much just need to know what the distance is from the center of the main pivot. At the moment only worried about making it work for a 1 1/2" 5.5 rad die but if I can get all the holes that would be even better. Seems I can find the Model3 easily but the bigger machine is proving harder to find info on. TIA

Cheers
I really need this info also ! Anyone help us out? thanks
Old 07-25-2017, 06:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Buy the bender?
Old 07-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
Buy the bender?
Your signature is "Master Fabricator", and you're telling me to buy one? You're kidding right? You had better find another trade/hobby and let us that actually know how to build things do what we do best.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Buy the bender?

I agree with the above comment.

I bought a jd2 m32 and upgraded it! why should other people have the expense of buying the kit for others to gain off it, I did think about making new arms and selling the bender after when I upgraded mine. I chose not to though as the cost of the bender is not that high, 400 In the UK about as much as a decent size die. Jd2 spend lots of money developing the kit for us to buy at a reasonable price to get a great quality bend for not a lot of money!

Just because someone is a master fabricator doesn't mean they can't make it!
There is a lot of good threads on this forum with lots of information that people kindly share to help others.

Rant over

Adam
Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Junior Fabricator

You guys are missing the point. Even though I'm a Tool Maker, I enjoy and get satisfaction building my own tools and money has nothing to do with it. I could design my own bender and it would work just as well as the JD, but I wanted to keep the hole spacing the same in case one day I felt lazy and I could just order a die set to fit it. I thought this was a fabrication forum ? Using your analogy, why not just buy everything ?
I built a CNC mill as well as a CNC plasma table. Should I have gone out and bought those too ?

Last edited by hemi43; 07-25-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Site Admin

I think what the guys are driving at is that JD2 has been a machine builder in the tubing world for many years. They have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars designing and perfecting their benders. They keep their prices low and forces the rest of the industry to follow suite. So the point is that many of the members here have a loyalty to companies who are helping us with our trades and hobbies.
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 08-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Pot meet kettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Your signature is "Master Fabricator", and you're telling me to buy one? You're kidding right? You had better find another trade/hobby and let us that actually know how to build things do what we do best.
I didn't call my self a "master fabricator" but I do pay the $20 a year to get the OFN logo under my name.

I see you are a real keyboard warrior and like to shoot your mouth off, I hope that works out for you but it's not how I operate.

In my experience building a bender is a fools errand. Build expensive tools, CNC mill and CNC plasma table are prime examples. Those tools are in the thousands to tens of thousands of dollars and the hobbyist machine is equal or better in function most of the time.

A $400 bender is not worth the time or money for a "master fabricator" hobbyist or otherwise. There a pro-tools plans all over the web for damn near free if you want a DIY approach.

edit: I added this quote from another one of your posts, maybe you were just joking or maybe it was out of context but I have a feeling this might be your honest opinion. I think if you are so pro America, slide $400 of your riches over to Jd2 and another $3xx to Cris to support this forum, you might like the information exchange we have going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43
Sorry, but I have to chime in !!
The main reason you're broke, is illustrated perfectly in the first picture you posted.
Look at what you're driving !! Look at what your neighbours are driving !!
If you keep buying foreign made product, you deserve to be broke !!

This is not a "hate" post, but a post to hopefully make you realize that you can only send so many jobs overseas before it starts to affect average citizens like yourself.
Think about what I'm saying next time you stand proudly listening to your national anthem. Chances are that you will be standing there wearing Chinese shoes , jeans from Hong Kong, T-shirt from India, and more than likely that flag you're saluting came from a sweat shop in Shanghai.
Ya gotta buy Domestic products !!

Last edited by CarterKraft; 08-09-2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: added fun facts
Old 08-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Junior Fabricator

Pro America ? Thankfully I'm not American, but do support the North American market. If you think building a "tool" that is only $400 to buy a fool's errand, then you're completely missing the point. I enjoy building things and get satisfaction of using them regardless of what it costs to buy new. Get back to your keyboard and don't bother replying because while you're busy banging on your keyboard I'll be out in the shop making chips.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Fabricator

I am not American either, and my thankfulness or otherwise for that is something I have the tact and manners to keep behind my teeth. Perhaps on a primarily US forum that is inclusive to all, it may have been politic for you to do the same. I do hope you are not British, as if you are you have shamed our nation several times with your rudeness in the face of other honest criticism and directness.
It has taken me a long time to be able to differentiate between the American directness and rudeness. These lovely yanks say what they mean and dont talk in riddles like some of us.
Our ex colonial friends beat us out of their country, then proceeded to ruin our language, BUT we kind of like that - AND as much as we find some parts of US culture crass we bloody admire the go getting and can do spirit in business that encourages so much innovation. Here in the UK we are in the cradle of the industrial revolution, yet it is from the US that I and many others buy our tube bending and many other products. I don't do that to wave the stars and stripes, or to stamp on the Union flag, but because it makes sense economically. And its the only place to get the stuff!
I consider myself a guest on this forum so try to "play nice" and I think I can say with some small degree of certainty that the chaps on here are pretty forgiving. So let us please all be lovely to each other. Sending cups of tea (I hate tea but do not tell my countrymen, I will be cast adrift in a small boat) and beer to you all
Old 08-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk Steel View Post
I am not American either, and my thankfulness or otherwise for that is something I have the tact and manners to keep behind my teeth. Perhaps on a primarily US forum that is inclusive to all, it may have been politic for you to do the same. I do hope you are not British, as if you are you have shamed our nation several times with your rudeness in the face of other honest criticism and directness.
It has taken me a long time to be able to differentiate between the American directness and rudeness. These lovely yanks say what they mean and dont talk in riddles like some of us.
Our ex colonial friends beat us out of their country, then proceeded to ruin our language, BUT we kind of like that - AND as much as we find some parts of US culture crass we bloody admire the go getting and can do spirit in business that encourages so much innovation. Here in the UK we are in the cradle of the industrial revolution, yet it is from the US that I and many others buy our tube bending and many other products. I don't do that to wave the stars and stripes, or to stamp on the Union flag, but because it makes sense economically. And its the only place to get the stuff!
I consider myself a guest on this forum so try to "play nice" and I think I can say with some small degree of certainty that the chaps on here are pretty forgiving. So let us please all be lovely to each other. Sending cups of tea (I hate tea but do not tell my countrymen, I will be cast adrift in a small boat) and beer to you all
Maybe my comment was uncalled for, but when I get a smart ass reply like "just buy one" from a fabrication forum it touches a nerve. Regardless, I have found the info I was looking for from another source. Take care.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Fabricator

good luck in all your future endeavours
Old 08-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Master Fabricator

Yet again you contribute nothing, Dan from Canada.
You say you have the answer to the first post question and wont share.
You dont hesitate to share your hate.

Maybe they can just e-mail you for those measurements at hemi43@hotmail
Or they can contact you through your amazing website
www.dantechfabricating.com
Old 08-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Master Fabricator

Meanwhile I am "making chips" with my JD2 Model 32 and BendTech Pro 7.x.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170813_214614 (Custom).jpg (175.2 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by CarterKraft; 08-14-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:33 AM
Fabricator

Mmmmm, chips ...

chippy-fish-and-chips-620x360 by mark punksteel, on Flickr
Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Whats the green stuff??????
Old 08-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Whats the green stuff??????
That was my first thought too.
Kinda looks like sweet green relish, but it's not what I would use with fish and chips.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:44 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysFlOoReD View Post
That was my first thought too.
Kinda looks like sweet green relish, but it's not what I would use with fish and chips.
Man sweet relish not my 10th choice LOL
Old 08-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks like Mushy Peas, and tasty too.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:42 PM
Designer & Builder

Bet it's green catsup/ketchup