Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Welders and Welding

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:44 PM
Fabricator

Praise for the AHP AlphaTIG 200X

Alright, I am generally speaking NOT a fan of Chinese machines, I have been using one of these Yellow welders at the shop for the better part of a year, and it impressed me enough to go ahead and purchase one for home use, Using one in the shop has shown me some of the shortcomings and how to remedy them, for the purchase price of $709 shipped through Amazon, for a 200 Amp machine...

First the Torch that it comes with now is perfectly serviceable, however the lead while not horrible is still heavy and stiff it APPEARS to be like a CK superflex but it surely is not, the WP 17 Flex STYLE torch is very serviceable. One COULD use this for a long time with no issues BUT it will get too hot to hold and there will be times when you want a longer lead, I like a 25' lead, I contacted Jeff Noland at HTP for a Ck 20, water cooled torch and leads with a leather lead covering, I have lots of sparks and cutting tools grinders going in the shop that could cause damage to the leads so I went with the leather cover. EVEN so the 25' lead and 20 torch with liquid cooling is still more flexible and lighter than the existing torch. I also as you can probably tell added a water cooler, I got that also from HTP the Arctic Chill 120V unit...

OK Cutting to the chase the HTP Pedal was added as the provided unit is marginal for me, I can USE it but it does SUCK. the HTP pedal is head and shoulders above the provided unit.

This is starting to sound like an HTP commercial.. I assure you there are solutions available from other suppliers not just HTP, but it was a one stop shop and I got a bit of a discount from them.

1- Cooler is well built and works very well and has a flow restriction Alarm I like it. other coolers can be used or built for this. One item is that HTP will not honor the warranty on the cooler if you don't use their coolant which according to the label is Ethylene Glycol and DI water... they say automotive coolant will damage the pump which is Stainless Steel with a Bronze impeller, I'd say do what you wish, I bought their coolant and it is EXPENSIVE $39 a gallon and you need almost 2 gallons, Also add an Algaecide Fungicide. Fan and Pump rival the welder for noise!
2- Need to add a 120VAC Pigtail out of the welder so I have a single switch to activate the cooler and welder at the same time.
3- Pedal enough said on that one
4- Torch also enough said, the standard Dinse plugs on the machine help with that and it is all plug and play.

OK using this machine with the additions FEELS more like a pro machine, no stupidly short leads, no hokey pedal etc.

That Said, I made a $700 welder a $1680 welder by the additions, people may say that it is not worth it but I disagree, the closest "Blue" welder in price range is the Miller Diversion 180... Looking at that one right now on Cyberweld and it is $2139, it is a limited machine no standard lead attachment, no pulser, no adjustment to frequency or pre-post flow, it IS AC/DC and definitely a decent FIRST welder but the price is pretty steep, you COULD make changes sure, but adding to the cost and still having a really limited machine IMHO, I have a Diversion the torch it comes with while genuine Weldcraft is Rigid and the lead is STIFF and HEAVIER than the AHP, the pedal is pretty hokey as well, all these things CAN be remedied but you will get into Dynasty Money for a meh welder.

Comparing the AHP to a Dynasty is unfair but the Dynasty is in the $5k to $6k range unless you go used then it would STILL be in the $4k range most likely.

The AHP unit and Cooler will fit comfortably on a low cost cart such as the Harbor Freight or Northern carts. Strap the welder down and put some better casters and wheels on it than HF provides now. Or build your own.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:16 PM
Master Fabricator

I am not a fan of anything made in China either and avoid them whenever possible. However I just can not afford a new Miller Tig machine that will do what I need. When the time comes for a new machine it will likely be either an AHP or Everlast. Thanks for posting your review.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Fabricator

Guess I can't get pics on here... Photobucket is sucking wind.

I added a 120 outlet to the back plane to power the Cooler, so the cooler stays on and I don't have to remember TWO switches, just cut the welder on and we are golden.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkroger View Post
Guess I can't get pics on here... Photobucket is sucking wind.

I added a 120 outlet to the back plane to power the Cooler, so the cooler stays on and I don't have to remember TWO switches, just cut the welder on and we are golden.
I've had good success with postimage.io as a Photobucket replacement, FWIW.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
I've had good success with postimage.io as a Photobucket replacement, FWIW.
I'll give that a try. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Fabricator

Old 09-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Master Fabricator

Red face

Best of Luck !!

just how are warranty problems addressed ??

Like if your pump seizes ??

We have been trying for years to get into the Chinese market only to get no response back from the American Distributors

then to do the welding
Old 09-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming9 View Post
Best of Luck !!

just how are warranty problems addressed ??

Like if your pump seizes ??

We have been trying for years to get into the Chinese market only to get no response back from the American Distributors
The Pump (entire cooler) is HTP, so I figure if there is an issue HTP will stand behind it. the Welder well I don't know, it is brand new and works well so far. Supposedly a 3 year warranty but I have already modified it to suit me. so Meh... I understand that the AHP brand is owned by the wife of the Everlast owner and Longevity is his Brother In law... or some such. I burned two full welds about 12" each on some 1/4" Mild Square Tube to Half Inch Mild Plate at 200A and it never choked, my Glove was smoking from radiant heat but the torch was still cool to the touch, I DID smoke the diffuser in a FUPA cup on start up though! LOL!