Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Junior Fabricator

Slow mild toyota build

A little over a year ago I bought an 87 regular cab toyota pickup 4x4. I finally found the time and motivation to start working on it. First up was removing the IFS parts and putting an 85 solid axle underneath it. This truck is as much a learning experience for me as it is for fun on the trail. With that said, if something jumps out as wrong, or there is a better way PLEASE feel free to point it out. Ok, on with the build.

First up was stripping the font axle, cleaning it up, and replacing all of the bearings and seals. I put new brake calipers, rotors, and pads as well as replaced a damaged spindle.

Next up was stripping all of the ifs components off and cleaning up the frame.

I found a pair of thirds set up with 4.88's. they aren't the 5.29's I had wanted but the price was right and I am trying to build this on a budget.

Next up was hanging the leaf springs.

I plated the frame to the front spring hanger.

The axle hanging from the springs.

I then plated the backside of the motor mounts.

First time sitting on its own weight.

Here is how it was sitting with some leafs pulled in the front and added in the rear. It is also worth noting that when I first got the truck I swapped in some f150 springs in the back.

Some pics of the rear.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Junior Fabricator

I then got the front shock hoops and shocks mounted. The front shocks are bilstein 5125 12" and the rears are 5125 14".

I got some cheap 33's and had them mounted to a set of wheels I took off of my old chevy.

I built a set if rock sliders (as seen in my other thread).

I mounted the sliders, and took the truck out to try to flex it a bit. I needed to measure for bumpstops.

Then it was back to the shop to make the bumpstops. The long ones are for the rear and short is for the front. I used the oem ifs bumpstops and welded a bit to the inside of each tube cap.

With the bumpstops in place I went and tested again.

I need to cut the rears down by about two inches. The fronts were perfect. They contact the inboard middle part of the top spring plate.

Today I picked up some square tube to make a front driveshaft. I know square tube is not ideal, but at $30 I have to try. Besides, out here in sunny California the truck probably will never go over 20 in 4wd. Future plans are front and rear bumpers, and a flat bed/spare tire carrier.