Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Old 08-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Master Fabricator

Back to mufflers...

Ive been playing around with different muffler sizes and shapes. Im amazed at how small, quiet, and well flowing you can make these things. In fact its hard to not build them too quiet. I just started building an exhaust system for the K5-FSJ and decided to build the mufflers as well. I like the swirl mufflers but would like them just a bit quieter with that flowmaster hollow sound. After hooking them all up to the forklift I think the little triangle jobs are going to be perfect. All achieved with the same flow resistance as the Flowmaster 4 baffle.

The original large one is very similar to a turbo muffler sound. Deep and quiet.

The round one is just a snail shell design with a few perf plated here and there. Flow wonderful but is whisper quiet and the heat builds up quickly.

The little rectangular one sounds good with a baffled glass pack sound but very streetable.

The little wedge shape guy is the nasty sounding little guy. Streetable, throaty, good flow... The winner now I have to make its twin brother.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Master Fabricator

Very cool! Do you have any pics of the innards?

My track car has a 4-cylinder engine, and I am always interested in free-flowing exhausts, since I need to use every pony my engine's got to keep up with the other guys . However, many tracks now have strict sound limits, and if you are black-flagged for noise, you go home.

So I need free-flow and low noise. I'm interested in your designs that have free flow and are "too quite".
Ian
http://web.mac.com/iandickerson/Ians..._Homepage.html
Old 08-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Master Fabricator

yeah man don't be a tease! show us the guts of those things. This has been something that I have been wanting to do for a while, but haven't been able to find the time. I think its cool that you are willing to experiment and tweak yourself rather than slap on a $150 muffler and hope it sounds good!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Fabricator

This is great stuff, METAL TWISTER!

When I saw this I immediately thought "HEY! That's how to potentially solve a lot of problems with packaging exhaust into a tight chassis."

I like the one on the far right.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Master Fabricator

I was down at the local muffler shop and they had a bunch of cutaways of mufflers. I shook my head in disbelief specially the flowmasters, there is nothing in there except a few flimsy ass baffles. And they only change the direction of the flow a couple of times. Its not rocket science guys. Its really hard not to make it too quiet. I didnt take pics of the internals... but believe me there isnt much in any of them and they are all very streetable.

This gives a little better feel for their sizes.

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 08-13-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Master Fabricator

very cool. you should take some pictures of the inside when you make the 2nd triangle one.
I have a question for you though, how are you measuring the flow?
what about backpressure? I believe you that its easy to make a quiet muffler, but I wonder about how it affects flow and power?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Master Fabricator

If you look off the the right the second triangle is done except for the inlet and outlet. Sorry bout that.

Im testing them on a flow bench. What I am reading is the differential pressures in liquid. The flow master 4 baffle reads 5 inches of water differential pressure. So I am using the 5 inches of water as a base line. Flow being the most important part of the equation with sound being the secondary. The trick is to find them both to your liking. Think I have found the sweet spot. Im telling ya its mostly Smoke and mirrors. They make it sound more mysterious for obvilus reasons.

They sound like these only a little deeper and a little quieter. But I used a very similar internals as they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-6r4cYkPu4

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 08-13-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Master Fabricator

I too have made my own mufflers, although they have all been packed style mufflers. The latest one is a combination of packed with a baffle and boy do they sound great and seem to flow huge, although they are a bit loud on my huge cammed 327 Chebby. They are much quieter then straight glass packs and so much nicer sounding then the FloMasters that I borrowed from a friend and tried on the truck. Plus my baffle design got rid of the massive backrap when the throttle was closed on decel.

Building mufflers isn't hard and what the muffler companies are calling science is not really, it's more of an art with some sound measuring going on. I will say that most of the time premade mufflers are cheaper then what you can build IF you factor in your time, but as far as materials go they are way cheaper to build then buy (unless you are buying the $16.99 cheapy turbos).

I'll try to post up some pictures although it might just be of the outside as I may try to produce them once I test them on some different engines.

Jaysin
Old 08-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
I too have made my own mufflers
Jaysin
Are they dry

E

Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Not that kind of water... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manometer A simple meter down about Half way on the right .
Old 08-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Master Fabricator

Drys-a-bone.

Jaysin
Old 08-14-2010, 02:19 AM
Master Fabricator

went with the little triangle guys.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Master Fabricator

What did you paint them with?

Jaysin

And don't say "paint" I know that already, what kind of paint? It's sort of a odd color for high temp paint.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Hell I dont know anything about heat paint. I just picked this up at the auto parts store the other day... VHT Very high temp 1300 to 2000 degree?

Called Ceramic coating silver... It will still burn off, it always does. LOL

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 08-14-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Fabricator

This site was brought up somewhere else on the web and I thought you guys might like to see what these guys are selling.

http://www.coneeng.com/mufflers.html