Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Old 09-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Junior Fabricator

Fasteners

I have an aluminum enclosed trailer that I have to return for some warranty work due to the screws having either eaten through the aluminum or perhaps they weren't tight enough and through wind sheer have torn a hole in the siding in two different places. A friend of mine stated they should have used stainless steel screws instead of normal metal (magnet will adhere to the screws) screws. He says through electroylisis the metal screw will damage the aluminum. The trailer was built in February and I am already having problems with the siding. They are also going to fix the front tie down shackles that were installed incorrectly. Yes, I agree they have a QA problem but they are being very cooperative. It is a 9 hr round trip for me and I don't want to do this every 6 months. The factory says they have never heard of mild metal screws causing problems with aluminum. I would appreciate some feedback. It is a car hauler that I have customized so getting my money back is not an option. Any info would be helpful.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Master Fabricator

They may have never heard of the dissimilar metal screws causing a problem because they have never sold a trailer to someone in FL before. The salt ocean air and high humidity would cause a significant electrolysis problem. The stainless screws could help but it would only slow the process down any time you have dissimilar metals in a electrolytic environment (the damp salt air) you will have problems with electrolysis, this is why aluminum boats that are used in the ocean have large zinc sacrificial anodes bolted to their sterns.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Jaysin
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Master Fabricator

Rivets