Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Old 08-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Master Fabricator

Ford 4.0L SOHC swap from 4.0L OHC

Anyone swapped the newer 4.0LSOHC for the 4.0LOHV in a Ranger
Looking for what has to be done ECO wise with a manual tranz.

Thanks.
E

Last edited by entropy; 08-17-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Master Fabricator

I haven't heard anything about a 4.0 ohv to 4.0 sohc swap, but I have heard of the 3.0 to 4.0 sohc swap. You'll need a wire harness, computer, engine, motor mounts, and supposedly the transmission bolt pattern is different (but I read somewhere else that they're the same).

The engine harness should plug directly into the harness in the cab for most rangers.

It looks like there's a lot of speculation and almost everyone who asks about 4.0 swaps gets shot down with "it's cheaper to sell your truck and buy one with a 4.0 sohc".

I think it's that people just don't know and they ask local shops (who also don't know) and they get told that it basically can't be done because it's extremely expensive. It seems that it would be pretty much a plug and play deal because the foundation of modern vehicles is a modular platform that lets the manufacturer build several vehicles off one modular base.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

After seeing your post, I did your basic Google search and came across a few forums where folks had posed the same quesiton. The responses I read indicated that people had done this swap before and used the pushrod OHV 4.0 ECU to run the SOHC engine, however I couldn't find anyone with actual/real tech on how to do it (only hearsay). I am no help, but I do like where you're headed. By the way your thread title says "4.9L"

Last edited by TheBandit; 08-17-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Master Fabricator

I did several hours of research into this to swap a 4.0 sohc into a ranger with a 3.0. I can get a 4.0 sohc for dirt and I think it would be a fun project but people act like it's not possible. But from reading the ford service manual I think it'd be a straight forward swap.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM

This should get you started:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=159001
Old 08-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
Perfect!

I'll read tonight!

Now on to the rest of the research.
700R4
NP242 TCase

Old 08-17-2010, 07:13 PM

Wow nice find Brian1! Gotta love this Paint rendition: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...1&d=1148454373

Regarding the 700R4, read up on www.bowtieoverdrives.com. I talked to these guys at length a few years ago when I was driving my Nova more often and wanted an AOD. They have some good info on their site about the TV cable and common upgrades and I found at the time they were very knowledgeable and easy to talk to on the phone. Have you also looked into 4L6Xs or are you trying to avoid electronic control?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Wow nice find Brian1! Gotta love this Paint rendition: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...1&d=1148454373

Regarding the 700R4, read up on www.bowtieoverdrives.com. I talked to these guys at length a few years ago when I was driving my Nova more often and wanted an AOD. They have some good info on their site about the TV cable and common upgrades and I found at the time they were very knowledgeable and easy to talk to on the phone. Have you also looked into 4L6Xs or are you trying to avoid electronic control?
Electronics... Fine thin to have sitting stationary in a temperature stable dust and vibration free environment. I would eliminate all wires from my life if I could, and I've spent years as an electronics maintenance tech in a past life.

Actually the 2.8L housing 700R4 fits into the Ranger and is one of the few easily adapted transmissions that will then adapt to the Jeep T/case AND REQUIRES NO COMPUTER!
Further using the manual tranz ECU allows it the ECU to function code-less with the lesser brand slushbox.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Further using the manual tranz ECU allows it the ECU to function code-less with the lesser brand slushbox.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Wow nice find Brian1!
Thanks but I have been following that thread for a while and Im a member on there as well so I knew right where to look Brett is one of those guys who knows just about everything there is to know about Ford Explorers (and Rangers).

Good luck with the swap. This is one thing I may do down the road to my 91 explorer unless I opt for a V8!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm on my way to impact..

Quote:
Electronics... Fine thin to have sitting stationary in a temperature stable dust and vibration free environment. I would eliminate all wires from my life if I could, and I've spent years as an electronics maintenance tech in a past life.

Actually the 2.8L housing 700R4 fits into the Ranger and is one of the few easily adapted transmissions that will then adapt to the Jeep T/case AND REQUIRES NO COMPUTER!
The narrow 700 has a history of exploding in 4.0L explorers... Vital parts are apparently smaller than the full size trans.

as for making the SOHC go, I went http://www.sdsefi.com
Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAirTime View Post
The narrow 700 has a history of exploding in 4.0L explorers... Vital parts are apparently smaller than the full size trans.

as for making the SOHC go, I went http://www.sdsefi.com
So what is worse the 700 or the a4ld or whatever it is called...
I really do not want to make the adapter... Which it appears I do with andy of the Ranger type transmissions.
I suppose I could go C4 to a Klune or NWF Black Box, to the Jeep T/C and then put a little stall in the converter with a taller R&P to get an effective OD, use the Klune at say 2:1 to get a good first reduction, and then the Low in the 242 to crawl on occasion...

Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Master Fabricator

The a4LD is definitely worse. But you mentioned a manual trans in your first post - this would be the M5OD-R1 - of which there is an "HD" version, mandatory in 2001 and up (since the OHV engine was deprecated at that time).

Last edited by IZwack; 08-18-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZwack View Post
The a4LD is definitely worse. But you mentioned a manual trans in your first post - this would be the M5OD-R1 - of which there is an "HD" version, mandatory in 2001 and up (since the OHV engine was deprecated at that time).
Problem is getting it connected to the 242 case... and I am really thinking an Auto might be better in the snow in this truck.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Master Fabricator

Just throwing this out on the table to eliminate one more unknown:

I'm not familiar with the 242 but will it fit between the frame rails? I ask because I've seen people try to fit other transfer cases in Ranger/Explorer frame rails and some don't make it.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZwack View Post
Just throwing this out on the table to eliminate one more unknown:

I'm not familiar with the 242 but will it fit between the frame rails? I ask because I've seen people try to fit other transfer cases in Ranger/Explorer frame rails and some don't make it.
One way or another but it fits in a Jeep Cherokee, which is where I first ran in to it.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:09 AM

I would as soon build a 5 speed A4LD/5R55 with all the new bits than a
60* 700R4. desert forums and Explorer Forums can shed a lot of light on the hybrids. Looks pretty cool. Frankly, I wouldn't build a small auto for snow though. Traction is great, but creates gobs of trans killing heat. I'm thinking its going to be a custom bellhousing anyway, so either a NV3550 or a fullsize 700. Requires more tunnel room, which is part of my reason for switching to a newer body exlpoder - 2nd gen came with a 5.0L with AOD/4R70W, so there's lots of room. Which led me to also consider a AOD derivative as opposed to the off-brand with my SOHC once I break teh M5ODR1HD. I Twisted the output shaft off of the last one, so I don't expect this one to last forever. I recently picked up a 93 Bronco, with an E4OD. The E4OD is only slightly larger and heavier than my Explorer. You would have to straddle it and ride single file in a Ranger LOL!

I have an Advance Adapters WC T5 to BW1354 kit I installed but never used. It uses the Jeep T5 tailhousing (D300, NV242 etc) and a new shaft and OD gear set, and a seperate adapter housing to the 1354. T5 is a decent shifting trans, and there IS an elusive Cologne V6 bellhousing to T4/T5 out there, I've just never been able to come across one. You'd want to make your own to accomodate the SOHC bell pattern anyway though.

Done rambling. For now.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Done rambling. For now.
Thanks for rambling!
By snow I am really referring to the packed stuff on the highway... rather then trail duty as this truck somehow became SWMBO's DD.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
By snow I am really referring to the packed stuff on the highway...

That, of course, is a whole different opperation I was pleased with the A4LD's opperation while it worked, so building it into a 5spd hybrid with a cooler that obliterates the radiator would probably stand up well to DD use. Hmmm. I like the 242 idea too. Like I don't have enough projects on the go
Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
That, of course, is a whole different opperation I was pleased with the A4LD's opperation while it worked, so building it into a 5spd hybrid with a cooler that obliterates the radiator would probably stand up well to DD use. Hmmm. I like the 242 idea too. Like I don't have enough projects on the go
My problem is i don't want to machine the adapter for the T/C and TTBOMK knowledge makes it to go to a Ford Transmission.