Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Old 10-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Junior Fabricator

Trailer design help

I have a 16ft utility trailer that I am looking to "beef up" to haul my truck on it. Right now my plan is to remove the 2 3500lb axles and hang them under a new platform. Here is where I need help. I have a design in mind, but am worried that it may be overkill. Here is a drawing of my plans let me know what you think. The frame rails are 4" channel that is bent to meet the tongue, the toung is 4"x1/4" sq, the cross members will be 2"x3/16"sq, and the outside edges will be 3"x3/16" angle. The cross members will be on 2ft centers. The deck will be either 2x8, 2x10, or 2x12 lumber. Sorry for the quick drawing in paint its the only thing I have on this computer. The black is the 4" channel, green 4"sq, red 2"sq, and purple 3" angle. The frame rails will be 6' apart, and it will be a 8'x16' deck over the axles. Let me know what you think I could change to make this better. I have been looking, but around here where I live something that is homemade with trailer house axles sells for a minimum of $1500 so I would rather build than buy.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemet View Post
it may be overkill.
It is flat impossible to overkill a trailer!

You need to figure out what all the steel weighs then add in a guess for the lumber and then add 10,000-pounds to that and see if you have enough axle, because I'll bet that with 7,000# for the two axles you ain't got enough.

Oh, the 10,000# is because you or someone you loan the trailer to will go there!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Junior Fabricator

I was kind of figuring on replacing the axles in the future, but for now just trying to get something together so I can take my truck out without getting pulled over. You figure the design I drew up with the materials I plan on using will hold up to that kind of weight?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Deck over axle is going to be pretty high especially on a tag hitch. Might consider lowering the deck and making drive over fenders if your rig is wide. Shay
Old 10-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailerl View Post
Deck over axle is going to be pretty high especially on a tag hitch. Might consider lowering the deck and making drive over fenders if your rig is wide. Shay
I've been really tossed about that myself I am good either way. Right now I am 7'3" wide, and once I get he tires changed I will be closer to 7'8", and don't want to change tires just to load it.

Maybe I'll do something like this. And just cut the deck around the wheels. Then add strong steel fenders over the tires.

Last edited by clemet; 10-27-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemet View Post
You figure the design I drew up with the materials I plan on using will hold up to that kind of weight?
No, I would go 6" channel.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Fabricator

sounds way heavy to me! u have to pull it and weight is a big deal when u need to drive down the road burns more gas harder to stop etc. 2x4" x 1/8 is pretty strong and i would just use 2" 1/8 angle for cross-members. u dont need the 2" in the center just weld the hitch to the 2x4 tube where it comes together. if ur going to tie hook stuff on the out side lip then the 3/16 angle on the sides is good but you should put d rings in the floor. i built my trailer out of 2x4 3/16 wall came out to heavy imo. i did a double frame out of the 2x4 sqaure tube from the axle to the hitch then a 2x4 box frame with angle crossmembers with 1/8 tread plate on top. the wood adds alot of support then just plate on top. c-channel is a good way to go too.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfs View Post
sounds way heavy to me! u have to pull it and weight is a big deal when u need to drive down the road burns more gas harder to stop etc. 2x4" x 1/8 is pretty strong and i would just use 2" 1/8 angle for cross-members. u dont need the 2" in the center just weld the hitch to the 2x4 tube where it comes together. if ur going to tie hook stuff on the out side lip then the 3/16 angle on the sides is good but you should put d rings in the floor. i built my trailer out of 2x4 3/16 wall came out to heavy imo. i did a double frame out of the 2x4 sqaure tube from the axle to the hitch then a 2x4 box frame with angle crossmembers with 1/8 tread plate on top. the wood adds alot of support then just plate on top. c-channel is a good way to go too.
I bent that trailer once...

Old 10-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Master Fabricator

I agree with mfs that you are going overkill with the thick 2" crossmembers, and also with E that you should go 6" for the frame rails. You won't see any heavy duty trailers around with 4" frame rails.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I bent that trailer once...
I have that one right now hence trying to build something better I won't even try to put a truck on it.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Master Fabricator

think about it this way, you'll have to fix/build a brand new trailer when you underbuild the frame on this :)

go 6"