Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Master Fabricator

well.... they fit......

any longer and the damn things would be in the cab with me...

i also started cleaning up the drivers side driveshaft as it needs a new intermediate bearing.. i also spotted a split in the inboard gaitor so decided the best thing to do was strip the bloody lot.. clean it all up.. paint the exposed bits and rebuild with new gaitors.. (WILL DO BOTH SIDES!)

drivers side stripped down and 90% cleaned....

Old 08-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Master Fabricator

solid mount YO:

got these:

got this:

got a bucketfull of goodridge fittings waiting for me @ BGCmotorsport and a fuel swirl pot on its way..

had a play about today with trying to locate everything in the cabin... no easy feat.. however...

ecu will be tucked up the top of the passenger footwell...

fuel pumps will live behind passenger seat....

swirl pot will go up beside the tank....

battery will (just about) sit under the front edge of passenger seat...

and that STILL leaves me behind the drivers seat to mount the plumbed in fire extinguisher....

gonna make up a passenger footrest out of this:

and hopefuly this will be in my sweaty hands next week.......

knocked up a battery cage as i`m too tight to buy 1...

also made a tray for the ecu to fit into...

platform for the swirlpot welded in place...

captive nuts for the pump welded in place..

all the pipes in car done...

^^^^^ ****ing rude imo....

also mounted the bracket for the EC1:

still needs some self adhesive foam lining it and the cable ties will be replaced with a rubber strap or meaty Oring..:

managed to aquire some tube for the lower front X-member today...

first job was to make a couple of tabs for the rad to sit on... this chunk of box section was chopped up:

and after a bit of sanding and drilling:

the ends of the chassis legs had some random square holes in them which needed plugging up:

after a few hours i had achieved the start of the removeable section:

with the rad fitted i figured i might aswell see if the fan could be mounted off it too... out with some more box section:

and the fruits of the days tinkering... SHAZZAM:

front springs fitted
horns fitted

bracket fitted up to attach the relay holder..(made with provision for another holder should it be needed)

then took a few overall shots...

right. the battery is fully fitted now!! rather than drill holes in the floorpan i welded 4 studs to the floor and fixed it that way...

finally the last of my goodridge turned up so the plumbing is sooooooo close to being done now.. (just need the fuel rail/reg housing and reg) outts the bulkhead into bay:

had a quick look at the catch tank..

in an effort to keep the pipe level meant that the fitting ended up missing the tank:

so a quick think and 5 mins on the lathe followed by 5 minuts cutting and filing i had this:

which will all go together like this and be fully welded:

fuel level sender:

more stainless bolts.. push button to scroll through the dash screens.. holesaw for the sender..

also got another similar pushbutton as spare.. i think it might be useable for the launch control will have to ask matt....

push button mounted (this will scroll through the various different screens on the digi dash)

also got the level sended fitted into the tank top plate and started nailing the pipes down in the car..

cheers for the kind words from everyone...
Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Master Fabricator

WOW!!! simply fantastic work!!! can't wait to see this thing driving!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonsniffer
OMG You're gonna die, the fuel system is in the passenger compartment... Oh, wait, this is a Euro
build, never mind... Unfortunately, here in the US, that fuel system needs to be a box in a box.
With a firewall between the passenger compartment and the fuel cell, with no fittings in said
compartment. That seems a little different from the FIA rules, which allows you to do as you have done...
Old 08-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
OMG You're gonna die, the fuel system is in the passenger compartment... Oh, wait, this is a Euro
build, never mind... Unfortunately, here in the US, that fuel system needs to be a box in a box.
With a firewall between the passenger compartment and the fuel cell, with no fittings in said
compartment. That seems a little different from the FIA rules, which allows you to do as you have done...
FIA rules in Europe says it all has to be in box as well - or at least firewalled from teh passenger compartment - well at least in Ireland anyway - I'm pretty sure it is the same in the UK?
But if it is just a trackday car then probably OK.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:53 AM
Master Fabricator

the cars not intended for competition which is why the tank is so big and the other bits within the cabin.. (i dont want to be filling up every hour) if i ever try my hand at racing or any event that needs FIA approval i`ll make a smaller tank with its own internal collector and run the high pressure pump and filter within the existing box and then just make a lid for it...
Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Very nice work

You must be anxious to get in this car and go
Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Master Fabricator

I love this build.

You have come up with some great creative solutions.

Looks good, keep it up.

-Jeff
Old 09-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Master Fabricator

the mission last nightwas to find a way of allowing the catch tank to breath any pressure passed through from the top end..

i think the MOCAL tanks have a posh cap that allows fumes to vent out... - not an option

my old rocker cover had a tiny breather filter - not an option

just drill a few tiny holes - not an option...

no.. what was needed was something trick and time consuming!! haha

so...

first up i machined a ring with a recess in the base and 3 holes around the edge:

these 3 holes were then marked onto the tank and drilled out to accept a threaded insert.. a big hole in the centre of these was also cut:

finally a piece of foam was cut to sit in the recess of the top ring and then once bolted up will allow the fumes to vent!:

Old 09-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Master Fabricator

right.. despite not getting to bed until 5 this morning and ending up with a house full of drunk people after a wedding.. i was determind to do something.. so after a couple of hours of BTCC i went o get busy...

first job was to finish sorting all my poxy nuts and bolts out as having them all in a massive tub was causing a headache.. notice the "box-of-inspiration" already opened!!:

then i had to do something about the slam panel.. unfortunatly it would appear that during is design 1 bloke did the left hand side and someone else did the right hand side as they sure as hell werent the same!!!

so i found my old spare panel and jig`d it up so it didn`t collapse when i started cutting it:

once the centre was cut out i built both bits above the headlights up so they are level and matching:

for the middle piece i`m planning something like this:

and will continue the flared holes right across above the headlights... quite happy with it so far!!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Master Fabricator

big ramps and the "mini-me`s" all finished and done...

got the steel in place and tacked up for the slam panel ready to attack with the Miggy-Miggy:

the jig did the job perfectly and it bolted back in place with zero bother:

all back together again...:

so so so chuffed with this... which is rare for the stuff i make!!!

and to make the day complete the Northern superstar Phil made an appearance with jaffa cakes and lager.. the sun was shining... its what weekends are all about tbh...
Old 09-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Master Fabricator

looks awesome, thats a proper built rally car with attention to detail. keep up the good work,
Old 09-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Master Fabricator

cheers buddy... been a steep learning curve so hearing comments like that are very much appreciated...

next up comes the disposal of yet another peugeot part...

the gear linkage!!!!

now i`ll apologise in advance for the US readers and try to phrase in so you can make sence of it all!!

the following cars refered to are the 205 and the 306 (and mine a 106) the 205 was peugeots first "proper" hot hatch.. small, light, fwd and quite powerful.. this was then replaced with what i have a 106.. and at the same time a bigger version.. the 306!..

now...

a clever bloke in cornwall (colin satchell) used to race 205`s and became a bit frustrated with the gear linkage costing him time and results.. so he made what has become known as "the satchshift"..

the setup does away with everything thats normally hung under the car and also the crap linkages that introduce wobbles into the lever...

until now he`s only ever fitted it to 1 106 racecar so after a few months of pestering he`s kindly agreed to help me out with some pics and some dimensions...

(unfortunatly being a true british engineer not every dimenion was written down so i have a bit of trial and error to do.. in return i`ll jig everything i make and from then on a std 106 kit can be produced...)

so... here we go...

the 106 "satchshift" with added stu touches!!!!

started off making the linkage wthin the car:

^^ machined nylon gearknob also...

now with the dimensions unknown for the upper bar (fore-n-aft lever throw) i decided rather than spend ages tacking and retacking tabs i made up an adjustable piece to get things right then i`ll make 2 tabs and wled them fully on the stick..

still lots to do but were getting there...

also... sorry to foreign folks who have been left totally confused with all this 205, 106 and 306 references hahahahahahah
Old 10-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Master Fabricator

decided that the bolt within the tube would allow too much play in the system so it went in the bin and i made this instead with a brass bush in a reamed sleve:

then made up a temporary rocker assembly (lots of holes to get the throws right!) and sorted out all the rod ends and bits...

Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Master Fabricator

been playing around with a few bits and worked out the size for the rocker assembly so threw the test piece into the bin and made this:

then.. after a bit of head scratching and lots of swearing at rose joints binding up and making linkages the wrong length i climbed in and gave it a go:

Last edited by argonsniffer; 10-08-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice! I can't wait for the full walk around and the track day vid!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:35 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Nice! I can't wait for the full walk around and the track day vid!
+1!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Master Fabricator

well the shifter was refitted and works a treat:

then i remembered i didn`t have an exhaust so set about making 1...

gonna rework the pug sport back box so its centre exit:

little kink to clear the torsion bars:

Old 10-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Master Fabricator

the boxes are pretty haggered so this may be temporary and be used to make a new 1 eventually but it`ll get me going...

back box had its 2 wonky hangers cut off and refitted so there even and equal....

hacked the centre box out of my old pug sport and fitted it up into the new tube and fitted the flangey bit that connects to manifold...

cut the hanger off the centre section and got that fitted...

so all thats left is to make a couple of hangers to weld to the shell and buz them on when it goes back on the spit... woop woop
Old 10-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Master Fabricator

another day... another piece

they look a bit like darleks but with a bit of shping to fit the boot floor should do a good job of hold the zorst up.. stainless bolt should also stop the rubber slipping off!!