Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Hello all....

a few little step forwards saturday...

Dash panel was collected from the harness manufacturer that was supposed to be sorting it all out...

12 months and F**K all to show, so added to the 16 months wasted at "expert #1" makes over 2 years of lies/false promises/bullsh@t...

Anyhow. . Reinstated this:

also after a quick chat with the potential 'new' harness maker the relay boxes are getting relocated but I'm still faffing with a bracket on that...

Shortened inserts are back in the struts.. 2nd turret top has been cut/welded/drilled/smoothed/primed and the suspension refitted:

a few people asked if there was actually any bonnet clearance with these..

Heres some proof...

http://youtu.be/FTaakVT9Hd4

Loadsa room!!!

Also got myself a Vband assembly for the rear section.. still undecided on tailpipe though..

My head says keep it simple.. straight.. clean

My heart says downswept (like Espens white 205 (shiny racing for those with LONG memories!!))

My testies however say this!

Only kiddin... well... maybe for comedy value....

needed to mount the relays up near the centre console to aid the wiring so took the opportunity to make an OTT bracket...

started off with a simple 3 sided tray:

attacked it with a thin disc/holesaw/file.. stitched some M6 nuts on the back and hit it with some temporary black aerosol:

which fits all up like so:

and mounts up here:

got a new cat to fit on the 307 saturday so will hopefully get the shafts length corrected and fired back down to cornwall.... again.... lmao...
Old 05-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Master Fabricator

Your work is superb, that relay bracket is tits. I have to say I like the straight out pipe but I think that a turn down might be cool too. I had a car years ago though that had a turn down exhaust and on dirt/gravel roads it made a ton of dust blow up behind the car. It was enough that I cut the down turn off and the dust was literally cut in half. It may not matter to you if you are always on the pavement but I live on a dirt road and the dust was a bit of a bother to the neighbors.

Keep up the good work,
Jaysin
Old 05-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Master Fabricator

That relay bracket is sweet! Nice work.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

What I like most about the bracket you made is that you did it with basic tools and it looks like it could have been a laser cut part. Nicely done. The strut towers are a work of art and the ITBs are awesome!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
What I like most about the bracket you made is that you did it with basic tools and it looks like it could have been a laser cut part. Nicely done. The strut towers are a work of art and the ITBs are awesome!
lol..

its funny you say that, we do have a laser cutter at work.. LVD iirc.. its a standing joke at work between the operator (a time served fabricator who now runs it) and the older, pre-laser, generation of fabricators.. that the young `uns nowadays really seem to rely on it for profiling.. the art of laying things out and using hand tools to shape sheet metal is becoming a rare skill imo...

anyhow, thank you, i must admit i was VERY tempted to sketch it up in autocad and just throw a memory stick at the laserman, but i do find it quite relaxing using hand tools to shape metal..

once again, i cannot express how happy i am with the top mounts.. partly the fact its made me learn 3d modelling, but also the finished result which i can only thank Andy @ Kaitech for, i think he enjoyed doing them tbh as its a bit more fancy looking than his usual batch work..
Old 08-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Master Fabricator

over 30 months ago....

let me say that again,

OVER 30 MONTHS AGO..

let that sink in a minute... thats over TWO AND A HALF ****ING YEARS!!

over 30 months ago i tried to get the rattlebox wired, an easy task you may think (i did, originally) i mean, i approached all parties with the same brief -

make it work for 2 to 2.5k....

i got nothing other than lies and bullshit, i wont name names but if you read the blogs you`ll find out at least 1 of them, during that time my circumstance have changed, i`m now a dad and i`ve changed jobs.. TWICE!! and tbh these changes along with all the BS and delays came very very close to ending the project

but! i`m a persistant bugger, so, i went back to square 1.. i already knew of a few people, Simtek.. Si-leck.. viper.. tim mason.. but basically if you open up google and search "motorsport wiring" "motorsport harness manufacture" "motorsport loom" and write a list of all the UK places.. thats where i was..

probably only 50% of them got back to me, or at least replied with something other than, sorry, not our thing.. of those that did 99% of them either didn`t listen.. couldn`t house the car.. wanted me to make a mockup loom.. or wanted to sell me something i didn`t want!!

thru the project my dads been involved with:

i had gotten to know a guy called Clayton, clever bloke, (he works for a company called Parkinsons who make harness`s for various people ranging from the MoD to ginetta) and i liked the way he approached things.. so i got onto him and after a long chat he admitted the project was too big for him to work into his already busy schedule but his mate (boss) Sean was starting up a company and might be able to help..

Emails - texts - vists to the workshop - more Emails and we had a spec (kind of)

anything IN the car

thinwall pvc wire
raychem dr25 shrink
raychem transitions/boots
deutsch AS connectors

anything OUTSIDE

raychem 44 wire
raychem dr25 shrink
raychem transitions/boots
and a combination of deutsch AS and DT conectors

all ends tagged up with yellow ID markers..

the loom is broken down into a few "sections"

basically we have:

front lights+horn
engine+ancilliaries
dashboard (this will include fusebox/relaybox/ecu/dash2 controls/comms leads for ECU+DASH2)
main chassis
fuel system
rear lighting

its been a few weeks of working thru, finding details for ecu pin outs/speccing sensors (for which Peter @ KAsensors has been immense!!!) finding operating currents for all parts of the system but things have started to come together now:

to say i`m happy is a mild bloody unstatement...

a big big thankyou goes to Sean @ BespokeWiring and Peter @ KAsensors

sorry for the long winded (but not that detailed) update, but i`m actually happy with the actual progress on the wiring front!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Progress = Good

Old 08-07-2014, 04:01 AM
Master Fabricator

Most guys who start an EFi engine swap into a car think it's nearly done when the power plant is mounted into the engine bay & the drivetrain bolted up. But as all of us who've actually finished an engine/gearbox upgrade (30% 0f those who start one?), have discovered - you're only half way there until you get those electrics working. I share your frustration at having your race build stagnated with your wiring. I lost 10 months trying to get a manual ECU from America on one of my race car builds because there were only automatics here in Oz for that engine... all the time HOPING that would solve the circuitry problems I thought were causing my problems. No-one who could really tell you this was the solution, as no-one else had done a project exactly like yours before that you could find.
So I'm glad you persisted & didn't give up, and now have your missing links. On the particular build of mine I'm referring to here it took THREE YEARS + until I heard that engine roar. Press on & you will reap the rewards.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks like a very good project excellent work
Old 08-17-2014, 04:24 AM
Master Fabricator

Hello...

In between his day job/family holiday Seans managed to keep things progressing.. had a small issue of a deutsch crimping tool going missing in the post!! !! But thats been sorted and hes sent over a few more piccies bless him..

I cannot begin to say how happy I am with it.. its everything I imagined and wanted.. cannot fault his service at all..
Old 08-17-2014, 04:55 AM
Master Fabricator

Man that's gotta be the best race car wiring loom making I've ever seen. No wonder you're chuffed. Nothing like getting wiring made for dummies:)
Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Junior Fabricator

This car is too nice to race. 5 year old build is hard to fix in a weekend.

I do love this build. Very, very detailed oriented.

What are the the 8? post connectors in the first pic of post #210? Link?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:52 AM
Master Fabricator

Noooo it was never intended to race... tbh its never been my intention to track it either..

Its purely a sunny day 'fun' road car..

The connectors are Deutsch AS items.. they arent cheap (infact they can only be described as f**king expensive) but after all the effort ive gone to on other areas i've pushed the funds a bit to get them included..
Old 10-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Master Fabricator

hi folks.. how ya`ll doin???

aint really had a chance to do much but recieved another chunk of harness (runs from under the dash to feed the fuel systems spur and the rear lights spur)

so started laying them out in the car and figured i needed a little bracket to mount the Souraiu AS connector:

fiddly little bugger as those bolts are M3x5mm

anyhow, got that made and fitted up:

Fuel harness all layed in:

Seans been over to measure up the final bits (engine harness and the 2 small bits that will power the front lights) he`s also took the dash complete to do that:

as you can see the fuel lines need pinning down, bit of an issue there, my cheap ebay nutsert tool decided to shit itself after 1.. ONE!!! nutsert, i wasn`t expecting it to provide a lifetime of service and be handed over to Jenson on my deathbed but i did expect a bit more than 1 poxy rivnut...

emails have been sent to the seller but i doubt i`ll get a refund.. probably easiest just to wrap it up in 1 of Jensons dirty nappies and post it back to them..

problem sorted with the rivnuts...

i borrowed the works gun:

and just incase i had access issues in tight spaces i made up a quick ghetto tool:

a few more hours today and i ticked off a couple of jobs that have been niggling me for a while:

4th engine mount:

painted and fitted:

and also the wheel speed sensor bracket:

fitted up:

also (if you follow him on FB you`ll have seen this but another little bit of loom is just about done for the passenger side front lights:

there will be another piece for the drivers side with an aditional spur for the horns, both of these pass thru the Apost under the wing and poke back out near each headlight so all out of sight

More wires...

2 small sections- these connect under the dash and pass thru the Apost area up into the inner wing cavity above the liner to feed the side repeater/front repeater/headlight.. the drivers side piece also has provision for the horns located just above the bumper vent..

and the brake pressure switchgetting its 'gucci gucci' souraiu AS connecter fitted:

been throwing in those 4 sections today,

started off with the rear light section..

which plugged into the chassis harness up near the washer bottle:

and ran around the back of the car to feed the 2 rear lights and the 2 numberplate lights:

nothing however is that easy and to get the feeds thru the shell to inside the rear bumper i had to open out the small square holes to 20mm dia, find a suitable grommet, unpin the connector, thread the grommet on and then reassemble the terminal:

next job, fit in the Tpiece with the brake pressure switch which will activate the brake lights:

so far so good, the lengths on the wires were all pretty good..

to do the front light runs the wings were whipped off along with the wheels..

passenger side:

pretty hard for the phones camera to pick up but the pattern from the twisted raychem44 wire looks mega, all uniform and even:

the big ass hole in the passenger inner wing where the std loom passes thru will be welded up then a smaller dia 30mm hole put in for the grommet Sean fitted....

drivers side (30mm hole cut and grommet fitted)

lengths again all looked good, but this side also had the feeds for the horns:

wings back on, you can just about make out the deutsch DT connectors cable tied to the dash bar of the cage, theres 1 each side for the front light looms and another on the passenger side that runs down the car, these will all plug into the dash loom when that comes back...

Last edited by argonsniffer; 10-26-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Master Fabricator

You're probably at the stage with this project where part of you is wondering what on earth you've taken on, and "Will I EVER finish this?"All those details and nagging little problems you have to solve one after another. And no sympathy from the missus!

I wallowed in those feelings with my V6 Civic project for over four years. Sometimes I just had to take a break & hope I'd get motivated again. Yesterday I finally got that car on my favorite dirt circuit (vid uploading onto WJP004 channel as we correspond). I went to sleep & woke up today re-living huge gravel drifts at insane speed in my toy. Only now do I get the payback for all that time & fabrication I invested... and it's more than worth it. Seeing the admiring glances my project gets from other drivers who cannot believe what I've done is just rebuilding icing on my exhausted emotional cake.

So just keep plodding aong tackling the problems & somehow solving them. In the end it truly is worth it.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:16 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Nice to see progress!
Old 10-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks awesome.

Dan
Old 10-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Master Fabricator

the box of exhausts bits has been piling up over the past few weeks...

so, armed with a few sketchy measurements i set about laying a few things out:

a 2.25" bend was cut up to match that shape, and a piece of 2.5" tube was shrunk down to match up with it:

that was then thrown together with the Vband assembly Mike Edwards was kind enough to supply:

and along with some more bits all tacked up into something resembling what i need:

from here i need to make sure everything is right sizewise then strip it down, purge everything and tig it all up..

i`m still not 100% sure on the tailpipe.. i really like the idea of the downswept as i`ve used in the mockup.. if not it`ll be a plain straight piece of tube..
Old 11-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Alright boys n girls???

Been bustin my nuts at work and spending some time with the family (yob has now hit 2 years old, gone mental quick).. but in between birthday cake and seemily everything i touch being adorned with bloody gruffalo images i got down the shop sunday evening..

casing needs shortening a bit and a big ol 45 slice taken off the top edge near the dampers.. but other than than i'm liking the looks of it
Old 11-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Kewel!
Transparent Aluminum Case on the Muffler

E