Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:48 PM
Master Fabricator

The BEAST project G.D.P

Well I'm a bit late starting this thread but.. better late then never. This project will have more meaning to me then any other build past, present and future. I nicked named the car after the fire that took the physical life i had a turned it all to ash, THE BEAST. The GTO brand i will change to GDP, Gross Destructive Power, basically what the fire was and what this car will eventually become, a tire spreading beast. Yup! it's becoming a full drift chassis. Obviously not much will happen till i get my shop back so little work can only be done. Car runs and drives so fun will be had as is to get a feel for it. Gonna ice race it this year and i designed a crazy ice tire for it, pic will be included.
This car was not possible without the help of a friend and by fate, if you believe that shit lol. A friend found a way for me to get easy cash, that i can not reveal till this whole mess is over lol, but this would allow me to find something to keep me busy. Another friend just picked up a mint 06 GTO and i have been helping him build it for drag racing and i remember falling in love when they first came out in 04. Pissed me off they didn't make the cut for Canada, so when my friend called me and said he bought one, it sparked that love again. Started looking online on local sale adds but the few i found where 16 thousand plus, my friend found me cash but it wasn't no where near that lol. Seen one add that was looking for front end parts, i messaged to see if he would sell it and well... the story writes itself from here lol.
So far i straightened the front as best i could, to tie me over till i can tube it, rear subframe bushings, full service, better tires, some simple weight reductions (100lbs) and built a new hood for it. The hood cowel i used from a mid 80's camaro, turned ok for my skill set at the moment.

The final result plan.

1.Fully tubed with massive weight reduction, goal is under 3000, started at 3700, currently 3600.
2.supercharged 6.0l with around 800hp (this is a long term goal)
3.personal custom wide body (i will have professional help on this one)
4.High angle steering
5.Street leagalish

For now all I'm gonna do engine wise (current 5.7)will be, cam, headers and tune. this will allow me to fully understand and learn the art of drifting and the car.

This is how i found it.

How straight i got it. High beams are low beams now lol but level at least.

The hood

Drag bags

Ice Tires ( adds 20lbs total)

The bushing kit

The interior
Old 11-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Amazing how much you've managed to do on that car considering everything that you've been going through. Can you tell me more about that hood and how you attached it? Is the cowl hood steel? Turned out great!

How much steering angle do you plan to achieve? What is the stock maximum?

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Amazing how much you've managed to do on that car considering everything that you've been going through. Can you tell me more about that hood and how you attached it? Is the cowl hood steel? Turned out great!

How much steering angle do you plan to achieve? What is the stock maximum?

Thanks man, appreciated that. Building is my zen place and I'm blessed this car came about cause i sure needed it.
The cowl itself is fibre and it was non functional on original hood. In one of the pics with the hole in the hood was an attempt for another cowl type insert, it failed horribly. Tried to order one that would cover the hole but nothing was available that wide. So this camaro hood i was able to use the skin that the cowl was attached to to help fill the gap. I attached the hood with rivets, grinded the head of the rivet down as thin as possible and finally fibre glassing it all together. I also had to shorten the cowl cutting it shorter at the opening thus turning it into a functional cowl, this also with cutting the original skin under the cowl. It shakes and bounces a bit so it needs a centre support added in and need to relocate washer sprayers.
Steering angle stock is around 40 degrees, some guys say they are getting up to 60 degrees with mods. The stock angle now will be plenty for a bit while i learn the car and how it handles. I just ordered a set of KW coil overs so this should help things with handling. Need to be easy on it till i can get some sub frame connectors build for it and an accusump.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Thanks for the explanation and the added photos! Have you taken her drifting yet?

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Thanks for the explanation and the added photos! Have you taken her drifting yet?
Yeah i have visited a big and usually empty weight scales near where i live. Nothing to crazy till i can get my wheel bearing fixed, its not bad but i don't want to push it too much. Check it evertime i com back from a ride and it hasn't gotten worse. There is a special tool I'm trying to acquire or i have to pull the whole control arm to press it in and out. it has a weird suspension set up, different lol. I attached a video, let me know if it works.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:38 AM
Master Fabricator

Thought i would pop in and give a small update. Its been a long battle with the rebuild but things are finally moving forward. They have started last week on building my home, will be a 4 piece modular (2000 sqft) expecting delivery July 7th give or take. We are going from a 2 bedroom 1 bath 932 sqft little shack, to a 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath 2 level 2000sqft home. Also the good news is, it only cost us around 80 grand for the bigger house after insurance.
This will basically be the house, it will be sitting on 3ft pilling

Now i bring you to the grand surprise. I finally get to build my dream shop, well for the space that I'm allowed. It had to be attached to be able to get to the size it ended up being, and shape to appease the city. I shaped it the way i did so i would have a driveway in front of the garage. Home and shop are being shove to the very back of the property to give more front greenery and yard for the kids. before i had a back yard and now i don't, best to help prevent me from collecting to many parts lol. The shop will be a 2400 sqft, 2 level paradise, yes it is 400sqft bigger then the home, you're welcome lol. Main level 12ft ceiling and 2nd 8ft ceiling, 2nd level will be a man's cave/dog house, lol. I also made room for a full covered walk out deck on the second level, just something i thought would be good for those nice summer evenings. the plans I'm gonna show you have changed a bit, there won't be a second smaller door and the access to the second story will be between the house and shop. Thought this would be best for fumes, dust and such.

original design, no second door and and 2nd level access outside.

what it should look like standing at the end of my driveway. shop to the left, house is on the right.

Here is to the future, cant wait to start building.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:03 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm glad things are coming together for you. Right on!