Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 12-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Junior Fabricator

Angle Finders

Hey Guy's

looking for a good angle finder to duplicate existing bends or fab up new bends,my question is has anyone used the Mittler Bros. angle finder that comes in different sizes and if so how well does it fit in an existing corner or do you use or recommend something else.

Thanks Dean
Old 12-05-2016, 08:03 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

A long time ago I got my hands on a set of those. They were handy for measuring/positioning interior bends, but these days I just measure widths/heights/locations and let Bend Tech calculate the bend angles for me.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Master Fabricator

I have never used them, but just to confuse things a little further, JD2 also offers a similar product. If you're using one of their benders, it might be helpful to use their protractors because they make them in radii that match their die sets.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Designer & Builder

I have seen them, they look really cool and useful, but...... Bandit said it first, and after using Bend Tech for the cage in my XJ I am not as anxious to get a set of them. I use strings and straight edges to get locations, I still think you would need those tools even with the Radii Gages, or is it Radius Gauges.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
Radius Gauges.
That is the way I've always seen it...

There are two things in play here the angle and the location
I'e made many custom protractors but over time I have given them away because it soon became apparent that I not only wanted the angle but I also wanted the location of the angle.
To do that I found that an inexpensive Digital level ($35) gave me the angle more accurately. Pick the first line, then zero the level, then take the rest of the angles based on the first zero a bunch more accurate.
To get the location...
As R says: I use strings and straight edges to get locations
Finally I have a few bent pieces of tube that I can actually put in place to see "What If" in real time.
While I can and do use Bend-Tech to simplify things. I still, on anything that is even semi-complex, measure the angles and the points to compare and make sure that I don't have something FUBAR. .. . . .

E

Old 01-10-2017, 11:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Hey guys hope everyone had a good Chrisy/New Years stinking hot here here in Aus

I been playing out the shed abit with my bender love it!
Iv done a few things so far no problems - main hoop, halo bar gear box tunnel bar was challenging (across the car up over gbox tunnel )
Just with my basic tools angle gauge basic protractor and few cheaters
But I'm too having problem my cheater bars sometimes don't fit where I'm trying to measure my start angles meaning one leg of the cheater usally the leg that dosnt have you start point on it is always hitting something or the cheaters not exact right angles so the leg opp you start mark is stopping you from moving the tube snug into the right spot I have 4 cheaters all at different angles I nearly feel like I have to cut a whole length of tube up for cheaters and cut some right down so there's no straight edge coming off the bends anyone else have this problem?

I'm currently having problems making a front bumper.
My 11/2" tube needs to sit behind my plastic bumper so it's inside it pretty much
The bumper has quite a long sweeping bend on it Iv tried 3 times with some cheap scrap I got to try achieve a long radius with several short bends as Iv only got a small radi die but it just dosnt seem to be working and not snug enough with the plastic bumper I don't know how to measure it to find my start marks as its such s long radius anyone have any ideas

The only thing I can think of doing is cutting out a template with cardboard or ply and getting the fit ment with that nice first
Anyone else have any ideas what you could use for jigs/templates for parts you have trouble with?

Bend techs on my to buy list but I'd still need to measure it all out anyways
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM
Master Fabricator

http://www.bend-tech.com/product_infos/bt_lr.html duh!
LOL
Old 01-14-2017, 01:12 AM
Master Fabricator

Sounds like you need a roll bender.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:04 AM
Master Fabricator

I been looking into them or making my own die because it's such s long radius I don't think the tube would need to fit perfectly snug inside the die Iv seen vids on utube with guys just made them with ply wood