Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:30 AM
Master Fabricator

I have finished bonding & blending all the panels together on the car with Fairing Compound for my DC2 front end. Now I have begun final smoothing with Gyprock/Drywall joint filling compound which is super easy to sand by hand like a very soft plaster.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Master Fabricator

This will be the final coat of Gyprock/Drywall filler for my die. I added blue tint this time to make it easier for both you & I to see. I have the DC2 Integra bonnet & guards completely blended into the Prelude ones. A light sand and a coat of sealer will allow me to start fitting the joining flange walls shortly.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:30 AM
Master Fabricator

It is ESSENTIAL to seal your die, otherwise the Gelcoat penetrates porous fillers & they stick to your fiberglass work.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Master Fabricator

TWO WAYS TO MAKE FIBERGLASS MOLD JOINING FLANGES (there are others too). My favorite over multi curved surfaces and/or where the flange line cannot be straight is to use clay – cheap firing clay I buy in 4kg blocks from pottery hobby shop suppliers (not those shops). It can be re-used as long as you store it in a wet towel & plastic bag. If it dries right out – just rehydrate it with water.

The other method uses 25mm aluminium strip (find in your hardware’s tiling section). Cuts and gaps are easily filled with clay. When the second side is layed up the strip screw holes need to be filled in. Simple.

A single, unpolished coat of wax is all I apply before PVA release.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:07 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Thanks for showing all of this. My gears are turning on making a mould from an existing steel body panel / fender.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Master Fabricator

Glad you're inspired mate. It's easier to make front guards off the car if they unbolt - as shown in my WJP004 You Tube Fiberglass Tutorial video No.14. Using that method (unlike what I am doing here), you reproduce the edge where they bolt on that goes under your bonnet edge. Using the techniques I am showing in changing this Honda front end has got me thinking how easy it would be to put a Y2000 Mustang front end onto my Aussie Ford ute - if only an imported front cut would drop from the sky. But you get what I mean... here is a way you could change the front of your car to another very reasonably...A Chev on a Ford, a Vette on a...well you guys get the idea!

Fiberglassing of the Interlude's guard moulds has begun! First of two coats of brush on Gelcoat.

Last edited by Redliner; 01-10-2017 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:39 AM

Are you currently making the panel itself or are you making a mould from which to make the panel? Based on how you added flanges, I thought you were about to lay the mould?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Glad you're inspired mate. It's easier to make front guards off the car if they unbolt - as shown in my WJP004 You Tube Fiberglass Tutorial video No.14. Using that method (unlike what I am doing here), you reproduce the edge where they bolt on that goes under your bonnet edge.
You've blessed us with so many great videos that I can't find the one you are referring to. Can you link me there? I am subscribed to your channel but I can't seem to find it in a search.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:13 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Can you link me there?
To the right of the video in the link is a playlist. Scroll down to #14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwL0...QKJUGFRj4Coh4H

Last edited by alwaysFlOoReD; 01-10-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:43 AM
Master Fabricator

Bandit I'm laying the moulds. When I make the front end the four moulds will be bolted together...but that's where the real secret lies to this job. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCgJFAOlMXY

Last edited by Redliner; 01-10-2017 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Master Fabricator

I got up at 6.30am and went straight out to lay up my first Interlude front guard mould as today is forecast over forty one degrees here today. We're in the middle of a major heatwave

Old 01-11-2017, 12:07 PM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I am starting to itch thinking about it. It would be nice, for a job of this size, to have a dedicated, ventilated space where the mess of resin drips and chop strands can be isolated.

BTW the bodywork on the buggy turned out awesome!
Old 01-16-2017, 03:54 AM
Master Fabricator

All the joining flange form work for the bonnet have been created by the layup of both front guards and the lower front of the bumper. I need to pick up more Gelcoat from my supplier tomorrow, and then this last, main piece of the DC2 front end mould can be fiberglassed. This shot also shows how I have blended the front bar, bonnet and guard into a single shape.

Last edited by Redliner; 01-16-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:39 AM
Master Fabricator

Got the gelcoat on for the main bonnet section of my DC2 front end mould. Gonna give it two coats to guarantee no alligatoring. It’s really only now when you coat your sculpting with something opaque that you can really see the end result of your labours from the repeated filling & sandings. Looks much smoother than the factory I reckon.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:14 AM
Master Fabricator

I laid up the main central bonnet section of the Integra front mould on my Prelude today, having waited for a sub thirty degree day to avoid premature hardening. I incorporated a stiffening rib across the back edge of the bonnet to the mould which will ensure copies are not warped at all. This DC2 front end mould is now finished.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Master Fabricator

Looking forward to the finished product!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:49 PM
Master Fabricator

I popped the four Integra front moulds off the Prelude. Only a few very minor faults that’ll be easily fixed before I copy them. Then I completely removed the die I sculpted from the car so it’s ready for test fitting the one piece front as soon as I’ve laid that up… and that stage is where there’s a few tricks involved that I will of course share with you as I build.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Thumbs up

You just may be a bad influence
Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Absolutely no doubt about that. Petrol head mates wives don't hug me when I meet them.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Master Fabricator

Damn you make this look easy, I know better though.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:50 AM
Master Fabricator

What a month! Computer runs like it has no RAM. Drive 180km round trip to get it fixed. The Panda Anti-Virus is jamming everything. Get it back. Hard drive fails 2 days later. Another 180km & I have a solid state one fitted. Can't get new camera to log files. Another 180km & they fit a special board for it. Still won't work. Take camera & computer back. A week's research finds the board won't work with Windows 10. They revert to Windows 7. Now editing software won't work. Revert to Windows 10. Have to live with low def from HDV camera. But I'm back!
In the meantime DC2 front clip has been made & fitted. Pics say it all. Mega access & perfect fit. 1) Four laid up molds are brought together just after they tack 2) Edges are overlaid to unite everything into one piece & half black rubber tubing laid in as re-enforcing. More pics to come once Photo Bucket stops it's hissy fit!

[IMG][/IMG]