Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Cycle Fabrication

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Master Fabricator

Custom Air Filters?

I have a little cafe racer project that I am working on and one of the things I am thinking of doing is to build a custom air cleaner for it, 4 cylinder, 4 carbs and I want to have one filter for all the carbs (think, dual 4 barrels on a cobra jet but smaller and more carbs). I can easily make the base and top (most likely out of aluminum) but I am wondering about the actual filter material. Is there someplace that one could get lengths of pleated filter with the rubber on the edges that could be cut, shaped and attach the ends back together? I have seen a lot of high end custom cars with filters that are oddly shaped, they must get there element material somewhere, right?

As a side note. I may want to cast some rubber/silicone parts, anyone have info on this too?

Anyway, I know it's not the standard metal fab but it's along those lines.

Thanx,
Jaysin
Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Master Fabricator

I know this doesn't specifically answer your question, but...

I looked at K&N's website, and they have a "search by shape" function. Just for grins, I entered oval filters, 10 to 14" long, and there look to be several elements that might work for what you're doing, like:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=E-3122

Maybe use a K&N element, and fab up the rest? They do custom stuff, too.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm going to pull a Graham and say I'm sorry, I can't answer your question either, but...

Having used about every air filter on the market in my dirt race car (K&N, WIX paper, AEM, etc), I personally wouldn't use anything other than an R2C filter on something that is in a dirty environment. K&N's are PITA to maintain and IMO don't filter very well, even with oiling, and paper filters have a lot of restriction and fill up fast, making them costly in the long run.

The R2C is a synthetic media that flows and can be washed like a K&N, but filters like a WIX. Plus it has dual rubber sealing rings on each edge that doesn't let any dirt past that I have seen. With every other filter I always had a real light film of something in the venturi's of the carburetor after a night of racing, but with the R2C, I haven't seen so much as a spec of dust.

So, I know none of what I said would probably even apply to what you are doing with your car, but I thought I'd share my experience with different air filters in general. But if you do find something, please share with us the end product. I've never heard of someone actually building an air filter before, sounds cool.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanx for the input guys. That K&N size search is pretty cool and might come in handy.

TS3g, That's good real world info to have about filters. I have an email into NoTiol filters about their foam filters, to see if they sell bulk material. Have you ever used foam on your dirt cars? I use NoToil filters on my dirt bike and I never see any dust past the filter but I mostly ride in the spring and fall when the ground is moist and not too dusty.

Thanx guys,
Jaysin
Old 07-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Master Fabricator

I haven't used a foam filter, but my dad did for a while on his car. It was basically a steel mesh with the foam element stretched around it that could be removed and washed. It seemed to work okay, but he still had the film in the carb, and it eventually broke down and started coming apart. I think he got about a half a season on it before there were holes and tears in it.

I looked at the NoToil site and see that they have a foam 14x4 filter that would fit my car, but I also see you have to oil it much like a K&N. Personally, I don't like the idea of using oil to catch dirt, but I can't say for sure that it doesn't work.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS3g View Post
I haven't used a foam filter, but my dad did for a while on his car. It was basically a steel mesh with the foam element stretched around it that could be removed and washed. It seemed to work okay, but he still had the film in the carb, and it eventually broke down and started coming apart. I think he got about a half a season on it before there were holes and tears in it.

I looked at the NoToil site and see that they have a foam 14x4 filter that would fit my car, but I also see you have to oil it much like a K&N. Personally, I don't like the idea of using oil to catch dirt, but I can't say for sure that it doesn't work.
i havent used the notoil filters, but do use the notoil oil on my unifilter on my bike.

the notoil oil is by far the stickiest substance known to man.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by $CEEP View Post
...the notoil oil is by far the stickiest substance known to man.
So you cant get it off your Hootus...