Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Cycle Fabrication

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Old 12-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Junior Fabricator

good job, even the slightest progress goes so far!!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Fabricator

Ok guys, still working hard on this thing, just lots of stuff to do that's fairly fabrication heavy. I'm sure you all know the drill what with work/family/kids ect.....

Anyway, I've been working on getting the rear suspension and subframe done. Not sure if I mentioned it already or not, but where I had the shock mounted originally absolutely did not work. I completely disregarded basic math, and rules of leverage and paid the price. To get it to work properly I'd have to mount it a different way. But I'm limitied for space because of the turbo and exhaust. So I went a different way with it :)
I spent a bunch of time trying to understand proper suspension figures and used that along with the specifics on the shock I'm using to come up with what I've got now. The big question is will it work? Dunno yet, ask me in a few months :)

The basic idea of it is that the rear shock sits below the subframe but parallel with the bottom of it, There are two rocker arms, one on each side, that connect to the swingarm with linkage arms. These rockers will have a central linkage that connects them to the rocker that attaches to the upper shock mount. Sound confusing? Here's some pics (actually a lot of pics) of it coming together.

Made a jig for the rocker arms:

The center of the rocker has drilled 7/8"rod that supports two believe it or not skateboard bearings, one on each side.

The upper and lower connecting points held using poly bushings that I made myself out of a solid rod of polyeurethane. On a side note, until I looked for them, I had no idea you could get any size poly rod you want, it's awesome! :)

Sleeved the inside of the poly bushings with some steel tube and you're ready to go. Started welding up the subframe support that is the basis for the suspension. The mounting points of the rockers I continued using the same mounting style as the top of the shock with hidden bolts, looks cool I think with no exposed hardware.

At this point I was happy with the design engineering wise, but I wasn't thrilled with how it was coming together aesthetically. But once I proceeded with building the rest of the subframe the look started to come together more:

Remember that I'm building this bike to be a two-up so my wife can ride with me (as soon as I can convince her it's safe :) ) So the rear section needed to be strong.

A pic with my new tail section I'm going to graft into place:

I tried to match the contour somewhat of the upper bars with the slope of the tail.

And a slew of pictures just because

You can see here some of the clearancing I had to do with the lower bars to clear the rocker arms in action:

Also I forgot to mention that the inside of the rocker arms will have support as well, it won't just be bolted on one side, obviously that would not work.

So that's where I'm at right now. I still have to build the triangular upper linkage that connects the initial rockers with the rear rocker. And I still have to make the mounts on the swingarm so I can build the link arms that go to the rockers! Sheesh, still a lot to do just on the suspension! And that all doesn't take into account the sheetmetal work that I'm going to have to do to really finish up the rear of this bike.

Man sometimes I really think I pushed it too far with this one. Maybe someday it'll make it outta the garage

Anyway, feel free to let me know what you think, good or bad. Appreciate you taking the time to look at this and sorry for the avalanche of pictures. It's taken so much time to make what I have that I felt justified :)

Thanks
Sky

Last edited by Yamaha_chop; 02-09-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Master Fabricator

I think I look forward to your posts on this!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Like the project, I mate of mine has run a few xs's into the ground, they are hard bikes to kill.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:07 AM
Junior Fabricator

Nice progress man! I totally understand what you mean about not posting until you feel justified in the progress, I have a Mustang thats still not finished (between deployments, training, and moving bases) and people in other forums want me to post up pics..
Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Fabricator

Yes! For the first time ever my bike is sitting on its own two wheels! Looks like this third version of the suspension is going to be the one that works. The only thing I have left to do is add some gussets to the rockers and clearance the lower subframe arm a bit so the suspension can cycle fully.

Pictures:

Oh and I also achieved my other goal, this thing is TALL :) I flat foot pretty much every bike I've sat on, but it looks like I might be tip-toeing this one.....

Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Junior Fabricator

Man that bike looks like it means business! Good work!!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Fabricator

Not a lot going on with this build lately- Been sick and a bunch of other stuff. But I managed to buy some parts for it that were long overdue. Got some tires, and a killer deal on a new front fender. Got a rear seat and the bar switches for the left side. Couple other minor things as well.
No pics of this but I took the bike all the way down to the frame and did about 6 hrs of finish welding to the frame. Still not all the way done with the welding, but I got sick of that and put the bike back together :)

Anyway, the main thing I'm working on right now is getting the tail all sorted out. I started making the skeleton for the tail today. Again I used painter's tape to simulate the sheetmetal covering. I'm very happy with the direction of this tail section.

The area between the seat and the tail will also have a skeleton frame covered in sheet metal to take up the gap. The area under the rear seat is where the Megasquirt is going. I"m going to build a mostly enclosed structure for it so it will be protected from the elements, and the whole thing will be suspended from rubber bushings to try and keep it isolated from potentially damaging vibrations.

Anyway, enough words, on with the pics:

And my favorite:

My bikes always look best from the back for some reason....

Here's a shot of the front of the bike. My only problem with the front fender is that it makes the headlight fairing look too small. Not quite sure what I'm going to do about that yet. I don't really want to cut the fender down. Your thoughts?

And here's a shot of what's been kind of stealing my attention lately. I picked up this 1984 XR500r Engine with the plan of sticking it into a 2001 cr250 frame I had. I chopped up the frame to try and stick it in there, but unfortunately today I had to face facts that it just isn't going to work without redoing the entire frame. Bummer:

On the plus side, while that didn't work out, it refocused me on this turbo bike, so hopefully I'll get some more done soon.

Thanks everyone for sticking with me throughout this one, two years and counting :)
Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Master Fabricator

You'll get there.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Master Fabricator

That is really comng together, wasnt' keen on it before but that tail is hot.

Bummer on the CR/XR hybrid. I have wanted to put a old Xr200 thumper in a CR125 frame, I thoiught it would make a good trail bike.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Fabricator

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long since I've updated this thread. I have been doing a bunch of work on the bike, but a lot of it is stuff that doesn't show up well in pictures.
(A little tip for everyone, don't make a bike entirely from scratch. Every SINGLE thing you put on it has to have its own special little mount made and you have to figure out where to put it all. It's gotten ridiculous.)

Anyway, here's a bunch of pictures to show what I've been doing lately.

I put a fitting in the top of the tank for the fuel return line-

And welded in the new feed fitting in the bottom of the tank because I couldn't use the stock location-

Then I made some mounts for the fuel pump and the fuel filter, they tucked up pretty nice-

I also worked on my new pegs. These are a hybrid of ZX636 pegs/stockers/my own fab-

I also got a set of rear pegs from some mid 80's Yamaha, cleaned them up and made up some mounts for them.
I got these pegs because the right side had an exhaust mount on it, but when I got them it was on the wrong side, so I cut it off, repositioned it on the other side and welded it back on :)

Now my wife should be able to ride in style with me. That was one problem with my chop, I can only ride solo with it, so this one we'll both be able to enjoy (Just as soon as I can convince her it's safe anyway.)

I also got a kickstand from a early 90's ZX6r, some HEAVY modifications later (including taking over 2" out of it)

That connector between the main seat and the passenger section that was covered in green tape last time? I made a mold out of roundbar, my dad put 5 layers of fiberglass over it and I cut it off the mold, sanded it up and filled with a couple coats of filler. A bit more trimming and it'll be ready for paint.

I got my tail-light mounted, and FINALLY began skinning the tail section with sheetmetal. This is my first attempt with sheetmetal and I'm really happy with how it came out so far! The section that will cover the tail-light is going to be made next, that will be removable.

And a couple quick full bike shots-

Thanks everyone for the continued interest. Rest assured I'm trying very hard to get this bike done! I had set a tenative date of Oct. but I'm not sure if I can hit it or not.

Anyway, I bid you Adieu as tomorrow morning I'm off to Laguna Seca for the Moto GP races this weekend!!!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Fabricator

Almost forgot, I'm going in a different direction for gauges, I'm not going to use the original tach like I had planned. I got this instead-

It'll be nice to have a speedo again, and the Odo will be cool too.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Master Fabricator

Looking good!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 AM
Fabricator

Small update, found a location for my ground block and fuse panel:

It's hidden nicely by the fiberglass panel I made.

Got the tail section welded up and the tail-light cover is almost finished:

Got the rear brake switch mounted finally:

Got the Gauge cluster made finally as well, Stock analog tach, with vapor speedo gauge and Boost gauge above that. I'm pretty happy with how this item came out.

And finally the biggest news is that I've decided to go a different direction with my headlight unit. I realized that I actually wanted a real headlight for the front, and that I didn't yet have any ducati parts on my bike, so I had to remedy that.

Enter my new headlight unit from a '06 Ducati 749R:

So now I've got to build a surround for the headlight, should be pretty cool. I'm drawing up some designs now to see which ones I like. Unfortunately this is going to set me back a bit time wise, but it'll be done when it's done.

OK so I've been working on my headlight surround, It's really a pain trying to get it as symmetrical as possible what with all the curves, but I really feel like I'm finally going in the right direction on this thing.

The inspiration for the surround was the Yamaha YZR M1 Moto GP bike seen here:

I really liked the ram air look and I didn't like any of my sketches dealing with the single projector headlight I got from the Ducati. So, I'm going to hide the headlight inside the area that looks like it's a ram air inlet. The inlet will have mesh in it so it you can't really see the light in there until it's on.

Here's some shots of where I'm at so far with it. Note that this is not the final position for it, it'll be a little higher and a little further out, but this gives the general idea. The headlight will be hidden inside of it and the gauges will sit under it over the top triple. The exterior will be covered with sheetmetal, but you'll see more details of that as I put it together. The skeleton is made entirely from 1/4" round bar

And my favorite helper

Comments are appreciated, but I'm 100% sure this is the direction I'm going. I feel it really goes with the lines of the bike, and in the process solves my problem with the front fender looking out of place.

thanks
Sky
Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm always waiting for more on this build! I like the headlight.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Fabricator

Not much more done, but got the front piece mounted anyway:

Rider's view:

Lots of work left to do on it, have to make the headlight mounts and the gauge cluster mounts, then skin it with sheetmetal. Took awhile to get even this much done though. Had to weld some tabs onto the ZX upper triple to bolt to.

I was also making a plug for the kicker shaft because I'm taking all that stuff out. Oddly enough this bike will be electric start only :)

I ordered all my parts for my Permanent Magnet Charging conversion, and also all of my parts needed to rebuild my motor, so that should be going back together real soon. Then the wiring harness gets made.

Things left to do:
Rear wheel spacers
Rear caliper mount
Rear wheel adjusters
Battery hold down
Starter solenoid mount
Fuel pressure regulator mount
Electric regulator mount
Coil mount
Relay mounts
Wiring harness
Finish headlight surround
Rebuild motor (already torn down and cleaned up, just waiting on parts which should be here Monday.)

That's the general list. Seems like a lot of stuff left to do but really it's not much compared to before.

Thanks for looking
Sky
Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Master Fabricator

keep it going, it's coming together and looking awesome!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Fabricator

Work continues as always. I made and mounted the relay pack holding both relays and the turn signal flasher. I mounted the front turn signals, the gauge cluster, and the headlight. Most of all I'm almost finished with the headlight surround. It's not quite done, still have some finish work to do, but it's close. I'm not entirely thrilled with it, but it doesn't look too bad. I'm enjoying working with sheet metal but unfortunately I don't have the sort of tools I need to do it properly. Oh well. Anyway next up on the list is to finish the wiring harness as I've got all the components mounted finally.

Pics:

As always, thanks for looking!
Sky
Old 11-23-2011, 04:00 AM
Master Fabricator

nice build, gave me some good ideas for an interceptor my buddy has.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Fabricator

Thanks guys, I've been away for a bit, but here's what I've been up to anyway:

That's my scratch built harness for the bike. Man, that wasn't the most fun thing I've ever done :lol:

Wired up:
Fuse box
Ground block
Tail-light
Front and rear turn signals
Megasquirt
Regulator
fuel pump relay
main relay
turn signal flasher
starter solenoid
oil temp sensor
tps sensor
air intake temp sensor
horn
headlight
kill switch
ignition switch
tachometer
Vapor gauge
Boost gauge
Coil
Injectors
Neutral light
wideband 02 sensor

sheesh. Remind me to never build a bike like this from scratch again. :roll:

And the other stuff:

Got the engine almost fully put back together. New seals throughout, MLS headgasket from Ottoco, New rings. Hopefully should be a good runner as I get a base map going for the bike. This is kind of an interesting engine for an XS because there's nothing behind the chrome covers! No points, no advance unit, just cam ends :)

Shot of the 8-plate clutch assembly, hopefully that'll be good for handling some extra horses! When I got this engine in a box, the clutch unit already had a set of longer clutch springs on it, not sure what they were originally from, but that should help a bit as well.

Stay tuned guys, hopefully some much better pictures coming soon! and some real progress. Much as it doesn't look or sound like it, I'm getting pretty close to riding this thing! Bike is completely apart again at the moment. Doing some finish welding on the frame, and trying to kill some of that stupid surface rust I have to deal with here on the coast. :evil: