Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Cycle Fabrication

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Old 07-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Fabricator

So I got to finish up my intercooler piping yesterday, very excited about this step because it finally means the air path system is completely tacked together! from the inlet on the turbo straight out through the exhaust it's all together. Yay!
Let me point out that I realize the sharp bend right off the turbo outlet is not conducive to power, and that's fine. I'm very pleased with how it looks. Also I made a large effort to make sure the piping did not stick out past the framerail, I think it turned out well.

Anyway, check the pics and let me know whatcha think.
thanks
Sky

Can't wait to hear that blow-off valve go off!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Fabricator

back to the progress pics:

I've been having a really tough time figuring out how to mount my rearsets. So I decided to take advantage of the factory mounting points that I had left in place (I'm glad i did that) I got a set of factory pegs:

These were a touch too long, so I took about four inches out of them :)

This puts the pegs in a perfect spot. I'm going to cut those pegs off and use them on my chopper redesign this winter. These mounting brackets will become the base for my ZX6R pegs.

I also got to use my lathe for the first time! When I first tried it, the lathe wasn't spinning true, there was a tiny wobble in it, which of course makes a lathe useless. Anyway I started freaking out a bit, but then I tried to tackle the problem logically. Eventually I pulled the chuck off, and found the backing plate where the holes were drilled had some small burrs still in place, so I used the lathe to face it up a bit, put the chuck back on and Voila! works like a champ.

Started making my fuel rail injector bungs. I don't really have a before shot, but just imagine some 7/8" bar stock. I cut down the outside to about 3/4", then drilled the center and bored it to 17/32" Then I chamfered the end to ease the o-ring entry. I still need to polish the inside a bit, and take some of the edge off. Overall though I'm extremely pleased with how they turned out, and I'm having a blast with this new tool.

Tapping 1/4" plate is a pain in the butt:

Still some finishing work needed before I weld it up, but it's one step closer, a million to go.

Thanks for looking
Sky
Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Junior Fabricator

Its coming together nicely, you have a really creative vision and eye for detail man. Nice work indeed!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:10 AM
Fabricator

Thanks for the encouragement man, much appreciated

So I've discovered the inherent flaw in using pie cuts for everything. Besides tons of welding that is. All the heat from welding, and all the little gaps added together means a lot more opportunities for the metal to pull. I finally welded up the exhaust and the turbo manifold. The turbo mani pulled almost a quarter of an inch, so I had to cut it apart again and add in a section to get it back where it needed to be. Whew, that was a lot of welding :)

Also I welded up the fuel rail and installed it. I still need to figure out some mounting tabs for it, but it just looks so cool in there I had to take a few pictures!

It's a tight fit for sure.

I'm optimistically about a month and a half away from starting this thing up, got to start checking things off of the list so I can accomplish that.

Welding up the intercooler piping is next.

thanks for looking
Sky
Old 08-20-2010, 04:13 AM
Junior Fabricator

Thumbs up

This is my favorite project on the board. Good luck and I hope everything works out!
Old 10-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Fabricator

looking for updates
Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Wow first time I cought this.Are you waiting to put tires on it because you have to build them yet?Awsome work and very original!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:38 AM
Fabricator

Thanks for the good words man. I'm working hard on this right now, getting a lot of parts together to try and get it started by the end of the month. It's a milestone that I'm really trying hard to achieve.

Stick with me, I'll have some updates soon!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Master Fabricator

by looking at the progress so far... it's hard to believe it started life as a xs650. well done so far...
Old 10-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Junior Fabricator

ive been following your build, its freaking amazing! dont lose that steam!! im interested in how the megasquirt will work for you, i just ordered a prebuilt ms2 plug and play for my 2.3 turbo mustang
Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Fabricator

Thanks for the kind words guys I do appreciate it. I got the intercooler piping all welded up, working on getting this thing started.

Here's all the stuff I've got:

And it's all gotta go in this:

Quick rundown:
Megasquirt system
Wideband sensor
Wideband gauge
Boost gauge
crank sensor
Coolant temp sensor
Air intake sensor
Fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator
A bunch of wiring I don't have listed
And a bunch of other work too!

Gah! It's craziness just to get this thing started. Ah well, I'm hoping it comes together pretty soon.

Oh, I also ditched the tail section. Wasn't feeling it anymore. I'm completely redoing the subframe so my wife can ride 2-up with me. And the shock relocation is craziness, I'll get you some updates on that pretty soon.

Thanks
Sky
Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Junior Fabricator

FWIW I didn't like the tail section either. It looked like a cheesy aftermarket piece for an R6. Fighterish, but not quite right. No offense.

Here's some inspiration for a dual seat, if you don't already have a good idea of what you want.

I had a VF700S like this with a bobbed tail section, so the seat was effectively the tail with a small junkyard '87 Honda CBR tail light tucked underneath. The small lip at the back gives it a nice look while being a functional two-up. Its not particularly streetfighter-esque, which seems to be what you're going for, but something shorter than the VF700S' might work.

Last edited by akuma10408; 10-19-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Fabricator

It'll definitely be a split seat arrangement. I'll still use the ZX6r front seat, but I'm thinking of mimicing the 1000rr Honda tail section and using that rear seat. Small yes, but functional. Sort of..... :)

Thanks for the comments!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Master Fabricator

hey Chop... any updates?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Fabricator

Still working on the fuel system and wiring. Might be a couple weeks yet. Hopefully next time I post it'll be with a youtube video of me starting it up!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Junior Fabricator

heres to hoping, ill be waiting eagerly! it sucks when a project takes longer than expected.. mine has been in the works for 4 years now, 3 of which the car were in storage and i was stationed in japan.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Fabricator

Betcha thought I was dead right?

Haha, man been working a lot on this thing lately, about time to get back to the fabrication side of things, but here's a video to show you what I've been up to!

YouTube - Turbocharged/fuel injected XS650 It runs!

Man, it's been amazing to actually get the engine to start up, it's validation of everything I've done so far. It really gives me the motivation I need to really get back at this thing and get it going. Now that I know I'm not just wasting my time with it I can really put forth some solid effort.

Two things: The sound quality is pretty bad on the video, sorry about that. It sounds better in person. It also sounds like it's idling at 4000 rpm in the vid, in actuality it's somewhere around 1700rpm. Also I was kind of bummed because I figured that with the two into one exhaust and the turbo it'd sound pretty different. Wrong it sounds identical to my chopper! Hah, guess I should have seen that one coming since they're the same engine, but still, maybe it'll sound different once I get it under load and really up into the powerband.

Thanks to everyone who's been writing and asking about this. It's been a labor of love and even though it won't be rideable for some time yet, I really appreciate everyone who gives me feedback on it.

Hope you enjoy the video and if you have any questions at all feel free to ask....
Sky
Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Master Fabricator

Congrats on making noise!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Junior Fabricator

Very cool, good job. I don't envy you with all that wiring concealment!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Master Fabricator

The turbo won't make much noise until you start to spool it. Give it some load and you'll hear that baby start to whistle.

You're right, with a project that takes this long, just hearing it make noise again is such validation of all the time it's taken so far.

I'm excited to see this thing on the road. Glad to hear you didn't give up on it.