Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Cycle Fabrication

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Old 05-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Fabricator

Hey guys. Well as someone pointed out on another forum the way I had the lower shock mounted it couldn't travel through it's stroke properly! Bah! I hate it when I do stuff like that, but sometimes it takes another perspective to point stuff out.

Anyway, I redid the lower mounting point, you can see it here:

These ears will be boxed for strength, but I'm out of Argon at the moment. Also, mounting the shock like this is a bit of a bummer because it makes the shock almost entirely upright, we'll see how much that affects it when I ride it. Also in that pic you can see I cut the side tubes back and capped them.

The good thing that came out of this is that I had to redo the upper shock mount. I didn't like what I had going before anyway. I kind of stole the mounting idea from The KTM or Ducati style:

For the tube where the shock itself mounts I took some 7/8" stock and drilled it for the proper bolt size, then inserted it into the 1 1/8" tubing and welded it into place on both sides. Then I slash cut the ends for looks. I've just got a random bolt in it right now, but once the final bolt is in place it'll almost be hidden. I'm pretty happy with the look.

Also, I received my headlight today. For being a knock-off of a plastic part, I'm extremely pleased with this thing. Well worth the money. Also I had this complicated and fancy mounting system I was going to make because I was sure the factory mounting stuff was crap. Anyway, I installed it with the factory stuff, and I love it! It's exactly what I wanted and I'm super pleased with the look. For the price I really couldn't have done any better.

Thanks for looking
Sky
Old 05-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Fabricator

epic...
Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Fabricator

If you're wondering what I've been doing lately I've switched over to working on the electrical side of things:

Megasquirt engine management :)

Soldering isn't too hard, reminds me a lot of welding actually. Lots of time and patience is needed though. Here it is all finished up (except for the boost control, I haven't wired that in yet.)

I'm crazy excited about this thing. Seriously, the bike itself is almost secondary to this device. It's going to be a steep learning curve, but I couldn't be more excited to get started! Now I just need to get the bike finished up so I can use it :)
Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Junior Fabricator

I *HEART* MegaSquirt.

What are your plans for tuning this beast once you've got a base map for your MS? You'll need to vary loads, RPM, manifold pressures, etc. It's best to have a buddy drive while you sit with the laptop and watch AFRs, etc.

You could datalog, and tweak your maps after, and just take a bit more time making sure everything is good throughout your entire map... which is totally fine. UNLESS for some reason you lean it out while on your test rides. Then, by the time you get back to the lab to check your logs, it could be too late. Pistons get all melty and ruined. As long as you are conservative, err on the side of rich, and are very careful the first few times you get it into boost, you'll be just fine. I'm just curious as to what approach you are taking tuning. It's basically that, or a dyno tune after you've got a good idle. Or do you have some other fancy trick up your sleeve?

It also just occurred to me that you're running an aircooled motor! How does MegaSquirt deal with that when it's looking for a coolant temp input? I know air cooled motors have been MS'd before, I just never put thought into how they do that!? Maybe it's the same, and you just don't get any cold start enrichment?

Either way, I love this build. So unique and out there!

Last edited by slo_nlo; 06-04-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_nlo View Post
I *HEART* MegaSquirt.

What are your plans for tuning this beast once you've got a base map for your MS? You'll need to vary loads, RPM, manifold pressures, etc. It's best to have a buddy drive while you sit with the laptop and watch AFRs, etc.

You could datalog, and tweak your maps after, and just take a bit more time making sure everything is good throughout your entire map... which is totally fine. UNLESS for some reason you lean it out while on your test rides. Then, by the time you get back to the lab to check your logs, it could be too late. Pistons get all melty and ruined. As long as you are conservative, err on the side of rich, and are very careful the first few times you get it into boost, you'll be just fine. I'm just curious as to what approach you are taking tuning. It's basically that, or a dyno tune after you've got a good idle. Or do you have some other fancy trick up your sleeve?

It also just occurred to me that you're running an aircooled motor! How does MegaSquirt deal with that when it's looking for a coolant temp input? I know air cooled motors have been MS'd before, I just never put thought into how they do that!? Maybe it's the same, and you just don't get any cold start enrichment?

Either way, I love this build. So unique and out there!
Haha, you pretty much nailed exactly what my plan was. Using an extremely conservative map and doing a lot of datalogging. I don't mind it taking too much time. I've got all the time in the world to tune :)

The coolant temp sensor will read as an oil temp sensor. It won't be as reactive as a coolant temp sensor, but it should work well enough.

Thanks for the interest.
Sky
Old 06-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Junior Fabricator

You might have all the time in the world, but for the sanity of all of us broke and un gifted goons (me), HURRY UP!!! Just kidding, but seriously!! This is a seriously cool build, Ive shown a few of my friends that ride and they are blown away by your talent!
Old 06-06-2010, 03:04 AM
Fabricator

Thanks for the good words man, I always appreciate it when others enjoy my builds. Anyone can do this stuff, just jump in with both feet and learn as you go.

The funny thing about this bike is that even when done, it'll only have about 88hp and at the end of the day, it's got 30 year old engine tech and garage built chassis tech. So it will in no way be as workable or impressive as any modern sportbike. But I don't care. I just like doing different things :)
Old 06-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Fabricator

Little update:

So my wife is out of town for a week or so, so I've got some time to work in the garage :)

My list of things I want to accomplish before she comes back:
Finish intake manifold
mount intercooler
Make intercooler piping

So I started working on the intake more last night. I decided not to use the round tubing I had before, instead I went with a box style intake. here's pictures from yesterday and today:

Intake tubes welded on the inside

Outside

Everything is a very tight fit, but it should work great.

Also, I need to weld some tabs on the bottom that connect to the stock upper mount to give it some stability.

My aluminum welding is getting better, It's still kinda globby, but practice makes perfect I guess.

Stayed tuned I should have plenty more updates over the next few days!

thanks
Sky
Old 06-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Junior Fabricator

88hp or 200hp, it doesnt matter! At the end of the day all that matters is that you built it and custom fabbed it! nice work!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletcar View Post
88hp or 200hp, it doesnt matter! At the end of the day all that matters is that you built it and custom fabbed it! nice work!
You said it mulletcar. Top notch fab work. I dont know much about bikes but i been watchin this build for just that reason.Built not bought. It's impressive to see such work in such a confined space. Very premeditative, deliberate, functional, and the design is still VERY visually pleasing. Great show of craftsmanship and pride in ones work. I cant wait to see it finished.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Master Fabricator

I've been watching this project unfold and it looks like your really having a good time with it. It's cool to see the EFI and turbo going on an old style aircooled. I have to ask though, are you going for a look with the angular exhaust and intake plumbing? THose hard angle changes in the tubing are going to seriously hinder airflow. I would use mandrel bent U-bends and then cut and weld like you did, it would entail far fewer welds and give you a much smoother path for air flow (which falls under fluid dynamics) and therefore better flow. Just a thought.

Jaysin
Old 06-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
are you going for a look with the angular exhaust and intake plumbing?
Actually.....yes

trying to go with something of a mad max look. It is somewhat necessary though. The intake tubing is so thick, they don't make radius bends that thick. Same with the turbo manifold, they don't make bends with a tight enough radius for what I needed.

So a little of both reasons.

Thanks for the good words!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:53 AM
Fabricator

Got some more work done. Finally got the intercooler mounted. These brackets will have some bracing welded to them so they don't crack, but I'm pretty happy with how they came out. Now I can finally begin to make my intercooler piping.

I left the brackets a bit loose so I could fit some adhesive foam under them on the top and bottom. I might rubber mount it as well just to combat the ridiculous vibration these engines have.

Also, the blowoff valve was mounted on some tubing that was too small, so I cut it off of that pipe, reamed out the mounting flange and made a new mount in the proper size tubing.

I didn't weld it in place yet, want to finalize the position first, have to build the rest of the tube first. Here's some pictures of the proposed location though.

Thanks for looking
Sky
Old 06-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Junior Fabricator

ive had a project brewing in the back of my mind for a while..i want to convert a v-max trans to chain drive and stuff the engine/trans in a streetbike frame.. whats not to love there? an engine with gobs of freak nasty hp and torque in a good handling frame.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:46 AM
Fabricator

Sounds like a good idea. You're making me want to look around to see if it's been done before.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:51 AM
Fabricator

Voila:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...triumph-parts/
Old 06-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Junior Fabricator

Dang thats nice, thanks for the link. Sorry for whoring your thread, proceed with your metal fabbery!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Master Fabricator

Just for you own knowledge, they do make tight radius pipe bends in all manner of material called weld-L or weld-ells. Here's the first link off of a google search for them. Weld-ells The second, third and forth charts on the page are all available in aluminum.

I have used them a few times making manifolds and other stuff. They work great and they would flow much better then your angular tubing and with a wee bit of polishing on the ID they would blow it away.

Anyway, I just like to give help where I can.

Jaysin
Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 AM
Fabricator

Thanks for the link man!

Really the final horsepower #'s on this bike are not important. There are a slew of engines I could have chosen that easily would surpass what this bike will make even naturally aspirated.

One of these days I'll focus on a build where maximum horsepower is the goal, and then I'll make every effort to maximize the potential.

Dr. Spaceman- haha love that show
Old 06-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Fabricator

Haven't gotten any new work done to the bike, but I did get a new tool!

So first off, I realize it's a harbor freight lathe. I got it barely used for a really good price, and for the type of work I expect to do it should be great. I'm really happy and can't wait to try it out.