Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Cycle Fabrication

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Old 10-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Master Fabricator

Project: Pimpcycle (bicycle)

Hey all, so this is my first project thread anywhere, ever. I've done many things but rarely photo-document them...

Anywho, this is a continuing work in progress but this is what I've got so far:

Started out with a stock, women's CCM bike of unknown age that we found in the basement of my brother's new house.

The bike was in awesome shape aside from the dirt and grime, plus it was free. Even the tires and tubes are in awesome shape...

Started with just a simple chop, gave it a better stance over all. Took about 6" out of the seat post and hacked the back fender.

Stripped all the extras off it, only left the gear selector so I could keep the rear derailleur in check. That will be getting shaved as well.

I wasn't too crazy about the way the rear fender was sitting, especially with my janky little bracket, but it was mostly just to see what the bike would look like.

Scrubbed a bitch down, and debated keeping the factory brown. It did look kinda cool, but not my bag.
before:

after:

Stripped the whole thing down for paint and sanded it.

While I had it apart I decided to modify the rear fender, for a more secure mounting, and so it didn't look like dog poop.

Didn't take as many pics of this as I probably should have for a proper project thread but oh well.. You get the gist of what was done.

Sprayed the whole thing flat black with some leftover rattle cans I had (will get a proper paint job this winter)

Rims too

Did some small pinstriping work for a bit of accent. (wanted to do a red line around each rim but I didn't have any red paint and not enough red pinstripe)

And here she sits so far.

Definitely way more comfortable to ride than it might look.

To come:

"Ape hanger" handle bars
Re-lacing both rims with some type of radial high spoke count design
Ditch rear gearset and make it a fixed ratio.
Proper paint job (still flat black, and will do pinstriping that I actually want)
Contemplating whether to make it a fixie or put a coaster brake in the rear hub (currently no brakes, it's a cruiser, so I don't get going faster than I can stop with putting my feet down...)

Any suggestions on links for lacing spokes would be great, I flexed my Google-fu a bit and only found a few designs, but I'd like more info...

I wasn't sure if this should go in mini-fab, or cycle fab, but since this is a bicycle, and this is cycle fab, it goes here
Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Master Fabricator

Yay freak bikes!

If you plan ride that bike for any more then a couple of blocks will probably want to moved the bottom bracket forward to get decent leg extension; number one thing that makes choppers no fun to ride is a bad layout for proper leg extension.

Couple of things:

Do not radial lace the rear, they don't like it unless you go super high spoke count and use motorcycle spokes. Also, it will be hard to find a decent rim in that size for more then 40 hole counts and you are not going to find a hub, track, cassette or otherwise over 36 hole unless you go with an old Sturmey Archer 3 speed. Stick to a 2 or 3 cross rear or you are going to have reliability issues, and if you want a freaky looking front go with a twisted spoke design, have fun truing it...

You can make the bike a single speed now by just using one of the cogs on the free wheel, shortening the chain and ditching the derailure; it's ghetto as **** but it gets rid of the extra parts. Removing the gears in the back makes the bike a single speed, not a fixed gear. Fixed gear means there is no freewheel, this means when the wheels move so do the pedals; like a track bike. Fun to ride but sucks for choppers or talls.

If you want a nice clean look get a coaster brake but I would recommend finding an old one as all the newer ones suck compared to the old ones. Whatever you do I urge you to not run without brakes, at all, period it is a good way to get killed. Personally I never ride a bike with only one way to stop it; my coaster brake bike still has a front caliper brake as does my fixed gear and they both stil are pretty clean looking bikes. The green one is a hand built frame as well.

If you are interested in freak bikes and what people build check out Chicago Freak Bike and The Rat Patrol.

Atomic Zombie has some pretty cool stuff to but his work is a little to fancy for my garbage picking freak bike tastes.

Real men ride tall, yo.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Ok, well there *was* a nice long post here, but apparently it didn't actually post.

I know the difference between a fixie and a single-speed, I'm just deliberating which way to go. I think I'm gonna go with a coaster brake just 'cause I don't want to have any hardware on the bike at all, and I do want to have a brake.

Seating/riding position isn't too bad actually, and the seat is gonna get moved back over the fender a touch more, which should allow me a bit more room. I'm strongly considering kicking the pedals out an inch or so though.

I'm considering a twisted spoke set up like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Custom_twist_bikewheel/

If you don't think that'll be strong enough for the rear, I'm thinking 4 cross or crows foot. Both look pretty cool IMO.

I ditched the shift lever, and fixed the derailleur in place with a piece of cable holding it in that position. Might ditch it and shorten the chain, but we'll see.

I had more in my first attempt at posting this, but I can't recall what it was now.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Master Fabricator

I'm a big sissy, I won't run anything but a normally laced wheel on a drive but that is just me.

If you want to get the legs farther out without having to move the BB itself you can run a 24" rear and then move the seat back more then you can with a 27. It also gives the bike that big front little rear look real choppers have.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Yeah but I'm doing this as a bobber. I haven't seen any pics online that are close to what I want to do with this.

I may stick to a slightly more sane lacing pattern since this'll be my first crack at it.

I'm gonna stick with my 26/26 set up, but possibly move to a 2" wide tire front and rear. I'm pretty happy with the gear ratio that's on there now, so I'll probably stick with that, I just need to find a donor BMX bike to pillage the coaster brake out of and I'll be set.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:47 AM
Master Fabricator

Look for a British bike or old shimano 3spd/coaster hub they will have a higher spoke count then most BMX 20" coaster hubs. When you start to push the seat location farther back over the rear wheel you stress it more and it becomes important to have a 32 to 40 spoke rear if you are a decent sized guy; low spoke count wheels are not your friend on freak bikes... I'm building a 40 spoke rear for my tall bike because I am destroying a 36 on an old school steel rim!

Last edited by notoriousDUG; 10-23-2009 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Well thankfully, I'm under 180, and I cruise smooth roads with it, so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of rim strength for style. I've smashed my share of rims to squares on my mountain bike, and will on my new one.. .This thing is just for rollin' around.

We have a lot of "old bike" bike shops around town, so I hope I can find a hub there.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Master Fabricator

cool build man.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Master Fabricator

It's a start. A precursor to a mini chopper actually. Gonna get a feel for dimensions I like, etc. I plan to build the chopper/bobber fairly close to this size.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 AM
Master Fabricator

Here is some of my brothers work, he's doing custom trikes for the handicapped...

All the fitting is done by hand...

He's also built a few mountain bikes, but, sorry, no pics
Old 10-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Those trikes are beautiful.

Is he driving the rear as a solid axle or only one side?

link maybe?
Old 10-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Master Fabricator

The rear axle is full width, but only drives one side. The drive hub is
a custom piece, as the normal trike drive hubs can't/won't allow the disc brake to be mounted...

He doesn't have a web site yet, he's busy enough without one...
Old 10-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Master Fabricator

That's so awesome. They really are gorgeous.

As for the pimpcycle, she's down two tires right now so this season is officially over. Hoping to work on at least the front rim in the next month. Gonna head to the local bike shop and discuss rear hub options, and tire choices.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Master Fabricator

Thread hi-jack because it was a freak-bike weekend here in Chicago...

Just a few of the highlights and maybe some inspiration.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Nice job DJPyro. It looks better that some custom motorcycles I've seen. Just don't take it through a puddle with that short rear fender - you may end up with a stripe on your back!

SteveL, those are some really nice bikes your brother's doing. They look more like a mountainbike than a conventional three wheeler - much more sporty! I had a trike myself in my early teens. It was given to me as a rusty hunk of steel that had sat in someones yard for many years. I put a lot of elbow grease into that bike. I wish I had pictures of it up close, but this is the only one I could find. These things were a blast to take on two wheels! My little nephew in the back loved it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clintandryantrike1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	5447  
Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Master Fabricator

lol I actually carry it through puddles for exactly that reason. It's pretty much level with my back when I sit on the bike. I have some aluminum tubing that should serve well for the handle bars, now I just need to get around to making them.

Still haven't made it to the bike shop to talk tires and rims yet... Going to school and working is a bitch.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Fabricator

Never thought I'd see another SON member on here, lol
Old 11-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Master Fabricator

lmao Nice. Yeah, I'm a big offroad geek too.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Junior Fabricator

not freakbike material, but some of you may get a kick out of these.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/

...and some B-E-A-yootiful stuff in the galleries:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/?page_id=30

so, for you guys that are doing these, are you Brazing or welding the frames?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Master Fabricator

i want more information on the trike rear end. i have always wanted to make a quad but never did cus i couldnt figure out the rear end.