Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Cycle Fabrication

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Old 10-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Well E......good point!!!

On a serious note though.....look how it wasn't even welded on the bottom of the tube!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopars 4 Life View Post
Well E......good point!!!

On a serious note though.....look how it wasn't even welded on the bottom of the tube!!!
Sewwwwwwwwwwwwwww Glad I could be of assistance in this... Oh, and I WAS being serious

It is an interesting brake as it would appear that the tube itself fractured and failed. I cant see that there was any buckling around the gusset... is there a weld at the point of the brake???
If so then the builder should be publicly flogged.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Master Fabricator

someone added on to the tube welded and ground down,same as with the top tube.You can see the camera flash on the tube where they added on to it.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Fabricator

The word "CUSTOM" is a very tricky one...I have never experienced a weld problem first hand, but wiring from one of those bikes are a pain in the a#$! I have never understood why they dont have any gussets....I learned to tig while in the millitary, and if you dont do it rite, they send you back to school, if you still cant get it rite, they give you a rifle and you clean it for a living.......
Old 10-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
someone added on to the tube welded and ground down,same as with the top tube.You can see the camera flash on the tube where they added on to it.
Sometimes it takes a second set of eyes.
Good catch, Thanks.
Whomever did it should be...

Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Nice one!! After you said that...I can now see the dirt and crap in the "intersection"...
Old 11-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Junior Fabricator

i've seen this problem before. The weld is too cold. There was not enough heat on the tig weld to penetrate the metal.

Like it was said before, too much empasis on small and pretty. That thick neck stock has to have a big fillet to have enough heat to penetrate through. when you look at the broken weld, you can still very clearly see the notched section of the tube. With true penetration, the weld goes from the outside of the tube all the way through to the inside, and the tube will tear before teh weld will. Basically all that held it together was the metal from the filler rod... which looks to be about as thick as a piece of sheetmetal.
When tig welding a bike frame, a proper weld is actually stronger than the rest of the tube.
Unfortunately, many "big name" frame builders are not professional welders, and don't realize the amount of penetration required for welds on axle blocks, motor mounts, and necks. It's more than just sticking it together, and just because it looks pretty does not mean it's a good weld.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Junior Fabricator

another thing i noticed...

NO NECK GUSSET!

there's no plate that ties the top & bottom tube and neck together to make one solid unit.

That little tube way back from the neck does nearly nothing as far as neck strength goes. some double downtube frames you could get away with that, because there's so much more structure attaching to the neck, but every single downtube frame should have a good strong neck gusset.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Well after a bunch of headaches my friend rode his bike home last night after the new frame was welded correctly. The frame showed up with welds that were so small I forced him to have them x-rayed before I started reassembly. After seeing that the penetration was crap he called the builder and asked for them to be done right. I got put on the phone only to be told I wasn't a real fabricator as all good welds looked like that. Needless to say the credit card company was called and a stop payment was put in place.

I sent the bike to a guy I know here in town who does Tig work. He went and redid all the welds one at a time and this time you can tell there is penetration. Again I want to thank you for finding this and bringing it to the attention of everyone. Who knows how many lives you may have saved.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Master Fabricator

rock out....the black frame above was stated as a "fatigue" failure..kinda like flexing.... up and down, moving where there was no weld under that bottom tube and eventually cracking and then breaking.
hope that made sense..I'm kinda hit right now.........wheew....

Last edited by Mopars 4 Life; 12-30-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Master Fabricator

Gawd dam man! that right there should put that mofo outta the frame building buisness! that is fugging scary! I guarantee you that the idiot that done the tig welding frigging knew he was not welding!!!!! that pic, story, link should be plasterd on the front page of the new York times to make sure that don't happen again on his junk! MAN O MAN!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Master Fabricator

i,ve seen a few other big name frame builders frames snap the neck off as well , and from the looks on the welds very cold , no weld prep whats so ever , and it,s looks like they didn,t even preheat the neck prior to welding , which i,ve been told is very important in this situation , lightweight tubing being welded to heavier tubing 4times the thickness at least should require some type of weld prep and preheat from my experinace
Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Master Fabricator

I forwarded links to this thread and ----- to the fella that started this thread KOODOS to you man!!! you most likely saved a life or 2 by posting this. Thanks man!

That would be like hitting a cable that was strung across the road at 2' off the surface. Hopefully the next one to fail doesn't have the dudes kid or wife riding on the bitch pad.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig Artist View Post
I forwarded links to this thread and ----- to the fella that started this thread KOODOS to you man!!! you most likely saved a life or 2 by posting this. Thanks man!

That would be like hitting a cable that was strung across the road at 2' off the surface. Hopefully the next one to fail doesn't have the dudes kid or wife riding on the bitch pad.
no problem dude........its all started for the same reasons you stated....
Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopars 4 Life View Post
rock out....the black frame above was stated as a "fatigue" failure..kinda like flexing.... up and down, moving where there was no weld under that bottom tube and eventually cracking and then breaking.
hope that made sense..I'm kinda hit right now.........wheew....
I must be missing something because I see a weld fillet still adhered to the neck where the lower tube met it on the bottom. It looks like the lower tube separated at the edge of the weld bead.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Fabricator

So what happened to the builder in this case...have you had the chance to get your bike rebuilt and back on the road?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Master Fabricator

Understand that the shows that sell on TV aren't really selling the bikes. The bike shop is the business that they got into but people watch for the entertainment of it. One off productions (Not using custom intentionaly) are a part of it but what's going on around them is what keeps people watching! They aren't neccassarily the best bike builders.... Just the most entertaining!

Paul G.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Master Fabricator

I know this is a very old thread but Im still doing repairs on these bikes which tells me the word still needs to get out about this serious iussue. All the bikes that I have repaired are built by a So Cal Mfg. with the initals B.B. Choppers. If you own one of these bikes the steering heads are a big problem and should be either x rayed and checked for integrety of the weldment and adiquite penetration, I strongly suggest adding a gusset to the head at minimum. I know they had a recall but many of the bikes that were sold having this issue have changed hands several times. If you have purchased a used B.B. Chopper bike be sure to contact the MFG. and see if you have one of the models they have issued a recall on. Lots of weekend riders just dont know about the recall or dont trust the mfg to do it correctly. I just wanted to bring this back to the forground being that I am fixing a few of these per month as of late.

This is what they look like before the problem arises...

Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Fabricator

To me most of these custom bikes are all show no go.Not all of them.I am really amazed at how popular custom bikes are especially with some of the technology straight out of the stone age.I see some of these rigid bikes going down the road at speed and when they hit a bump it looks down right scary.Amazes me,I know for me I want the most recent,safest and best performing product.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Master Fabricator

yeah it's all in what you want, but the point here is a bad design with careless craftsmanship plain and simple. Also this goes to show that junk is still dangerous years later.