Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Cycle Fabrication

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Old 07-08-2009, 02:43 AM
Fabricator

Wink Help with a shop name.

Well I have worked as a welder and a machinist for several years now and I have decided I would like to start doing some work for myself. I would like to start a business building bikes or bike parts and possible expand it later on to possibly Jeeps and rock crawlers and parts. After a lot of thinking I am all but positive would like to have my last name be part of my business name. My last name is Bellino. Would that alone make a good business name or should I go with Bellino Choppers or something like Bellino Fabrication?

Given the nature of the business I think it needs to an LLC. I read another post about this and it said you cannot legally use the word engineering unless you employ at least one PE. I also read having word like extreme, performance, off road, or racing will make insurance much more expensive. Are there any other words I cannot use?

Also I have a cousin that is a CPA and he told me that if I use the word enterprises in my business name that I can file my taxes more in my favor. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Well let me know what you think, I really have no idea where to go at this point.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 03:03 AM
Master Fabricator

I assume you are in the US and I don't know how you set up business entities there but it may be worth checking to see if you can do what we often do in Australia which is set up a limited liability entity (here its a proprietary limited company ) which costs about $1,000 in fees etc. That can have any name, many here have names like Company123 Pty Ltd. That company then 'Trades As' Bellino Racing or whatever. Its just a registered business name, costs $10 every 5 years. Thats how it appears in the phone book and your letter head but insurances, leases etc are in the name of the limited company. It also allows us to have a number of names very cheaply and all under one accounting head but which might appeal to different market segments.
Have your cousin check it out see if you can do something similar where you are.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Don't single yourself out with "choppers" or "off-road" or something like that. as you would not call "Bellino choppers" for a cage or four link or anything other than motorcycle work.
an LLC can save you from losing everything(personal) if something goes wrong.
you do have to have at least one full time engineer to use that tag in your business name here in arkansas.
as for the enterprises thing I would call several CPA's to get their opinion, always get more than one opinion on something like that, can save you buttloads of $ in the end.
good luck, It's tough out there right now.
I'd be screwed if not for my day job as my work has dwindled for the last 8 months.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Whatever you call it, make sure you can say it on the phone and that it rolls off the tongue.

BellWorks has a good ring to it.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Master Fabricator

What about Bellino Customs... Bellino's.... Bellino's Custom Fabrication... BC Fabrication... Just for a few ideas.

Paul G.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Whatever name you choose, it should be obvious to a customer what you do. If your name is "Bellinos" nobody will know from your name if you sell flowers or own a bowling alley. I think tbd85hilux's suggestions are a good start. They are simple, easy to remember, and tell people what you do. Also they do not limit you to particular customers.

I think Bellino's Machining & Fabrication would work fine.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Master Fabricator

Bellinos's ALL-Fab
Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 AM
Master Fabricator

My personal opinion without bias...

Never would I name a business with a personal name.. What Izzy said,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Whatever you call it, make sure you can say it on the phone and that it rolls off the tongue.
is a great point...Not just for you but for others... I'd rather use a personal name in a slogan, that could be an extra bonus/benifit...

I have a name and slogan.. If you click on my link you will see the name has no real meaning (other than me) and the slogan has no real direct issue.(other than fabrication)..

Of course your not in the same biz as me per say.. but an example...

What ever you do Bro.. I wish you all the best....

Dog.....
Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Master Fabricator

Think of a name that starts with an "A", that would help push you to the top of the list in a phone book.

Darrin
Old 07-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Fabricator

I would stay away from words such as "extreme" or "motorsports" et. al. because they seem played out. In my mind they just come across as blah, blah,.... You might try some alphbet soup names like BAF (Bellino All Fab); BDF (Bellino Design and Fabrication); something you like. Spend some time on it. I would work on a good, simple logo that catches and is memorable. Something that presents your business as professional and your work as quality. In So Cal, it seem like every yahoo with a welder has designated himself a fabricator; some are just that - yahoos. Others are guys with a good set of skills but have given their business some retarded, juvenile name that makes a poor first impression

An example of poor judgement, I saw this guy at a motorsports expo last year whose company name is Big Titty Crew. I have no idea what he makes or markets because his name and logo was so stupid I had no desire to find out. My point being I like to do business with professionals, not 40 year old adolescents.

As far as the LLC, Inc, or whatever; get some professional advice as to what best suits your needs. I know more than one person who has had their personal worth zeroed out because of business related suits, IRS, or equalization problems. Don't leave yourself exposed. I would also get a business plan together. If you don't know how, hire someone to work with you or take some business classes at a community college. There can be a lot to do on the business side of this thing that can sink you as quickly as being sued.

Good luck
Old 07-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Master Fabricator

I too have been contimplating this. I would like to start a small shop after I retire from the Air Force. I have been lean towards Roll Over Fabrication. Have 2 shop dogs and my little sister is a graphic designer. She made me a couple different logos using the dogs. I don't want to limit myself to just off-road. Here in Texas gate design/install is big money for the ranches and gated communities. I would like to start with making brackets, tabs etc, doing lifts, custom bumpers, roll cages, gates, custom fencing always looking for the next job/idea that will pay the bills. I am currently working on a outdoor kitchen design.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Master Fabricator

my biz name is precision welding, but I put a big caliper for the "P" recision part of it so when people see may logo in the phone book or somewhere else they know its me and they are getting good welds and fab work.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellinoracing View Post
I read another post about this and it said you cannot legally use the word engineering unless you employ at least one PE.
I think this might have come from my thread...It actually depends on the state you do business in. Here in Ohio, my day job is at Stackpole Engineering Services, Inc. When we opened our office in North Carolina, we were required to have a PE on staff to use "engineering". So, our NC corporation is actually called SES Incorporated.

There are some surprising variations on the laws and practices for doing business from state to state. Your best bet is to check out the laws in your area.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 AM
Fabricator

stay away from the word custom in the tittle...and choppers, they are abused too far beyond repair..You have a cool last name,seems like a name you have heard before.

" hey got my frame back from Bellino's last night, it was kick ass!!"

I would maybe toy with Bellinos Metal Craft, a frame and chasis joint.

With that you leave the door open for yourself..let me know what you think?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Junior Fabricator

Metalla-Con

Metallicon

I seen it driving through Calgary the other week, I think they're iron workers/construction guys so you should be good to use it. And it was on an all black trailer, loud and proud in Metallica style writing, I thought it was sick!

It shouldn't matter what you have in your name, INC, LLC etc...

As long as you're a legally incorporated business--- that separates your business liabilities to your personal life. Unless you put up your house for collateral for a business loan. Keep it separate and get an accountant that know what the hell they're doing. I've been through three in the past five years.

Picking your company name is often the hardest part of the whole process. IT can't be generic and sound like every other chopper shop out there. The 'one name' companies roll off the tongue a lot easier.

Let us know what you decide!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Fabricator

Recreational Equipment Designs, Incorporated

RED Inc for short
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
my biz name is precision welding, but I put a big caliper for the "P" recision part of it so when people see may logo in the phone book or somewhere else they know its me and they are getting good welds and fab work.

We have about 50 precision weldings in our system. Smith welding is another one.
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Quality Metal Fabrication Equipment