Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Cycle Fabrication

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Old 02-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Junior Fabricator

almost done

Havent posted on here in a while but figured i would share my new build. i built this frame from scratch and am going to build everything but the gas tank and fender.
here she is as she sits now.

this is what it looked like before

and why i decided to build it myself. this is why you dont trust other peoples fabrication. This broke at about 75 on the freeway.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Master Fabricator

75 Were new shorts necessary?!!

I like it so I'm in!

Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Looks good.

How are you preventing the same problem from happening? Thicker/bigger/stronger material? Different design?
Old 02-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Master Fabricator

I don't mean any offense here, just a word about preventative maintenance. That lower broken tube on the right side looks like it was broken for a time before the other side failed (as evidenced by the rust color on the failure point). More then likely, with a good inspection of critical components (frame, brakes, engine mounts, etc...) you could have saved yourself a pair of shorts (and next time possibly your life). As a H-D mechanic for 10 years I saw lots of stuff like the cracked right side tube, and if the customer had paid attention to their bike it would have come in on a truck instead of them riding it in, I was always glad to find things like this for them if it meant they didn't go sliding down the highway and under a truck (even if they were not happy about paying for the repair). Rigid frames see HUGE stresses and need to be inspected for cracks more often then bikes with rear suspension.

Anyway, nice job on the new build, I like the way it's coming along so far.

Jaysin

Last edited by JaysinSpaceman; 02-06-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Master Fabricator

just makes me pissed off when you ask some dillrod dck head if he can weld and says "Oh yeh I can weld", then see his welds so at that point I then say to him fck you farmer john welder!! Dont act like a welder if you cant even read blueprints for welding let alone try to tell me a story about a job you did!!!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-06-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Master Fabricator

sorry about the rant but when I hear"I know how to weld", I get pissed becouse half or 3/4 peeps cant lay a bead to save there life. If you think that welders are under paid give me a beer up!!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:23 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Looks good.

How are you preventing the same problem from happening? Thicker/bigger/stronger material? Different design?
Yes i am making it stronger. I am making the down tube and the backbone out of 1 1/2" .120 wall dom and the rest of the frame 1 1/8" .120 wall Dom. also running gussets in the back where the original frame broke.

Quote:
I don't mean any offense here, just a word about preventative maintenance. That lower broken tube on the right side looks like it was broken for a time before the other side failed (as evidenced by the rust color on the failure point). More then likely, with a good inspection of critical components (frame, brakes, engine mounts, etc...) you could have saved yourself a pair of shorts (and next time possibly your life). As a H-D mechanic for 10 years I saw lots of stuff like the cracked right side tube, and if the customer had paid attention to their bike it would have come in on a truck instead of them riding it in, I was always glad to find things like this for them if it meant they didn't go sliding down the highway and under a truck (even if they were not happy about paying for the repair). Rigid frames see HUGE stresses and need to be inspected for cracks more often then bikes with rear suspension.

Anyway, nice job on the new build, I like the way it's coming along so far.

Jaysin
No offense taken. I was so wrapped up in owning my first triumph that i over looked the frame. looking back i would've done it different. I Know i dodged a bullet on this one. But this is why i always check everything when i get it new or not..
Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
I don't mean any offense here, just a word about preventative maintenance. That lower broken tube on the right side looks like it was broken for a time before the other side failed (as evidenced by the rust color on the failure point).
Jaysin
yeah and look how some one scabbed all that crap on the right side to.
nisce build though, but wut did you do with the old girder front end?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopars 4 Life View Post
yeah and look how some one scabbed all that crap on the right side to.
nisce build though, but wut did you do with the old girder front end?
The girder front end was like a 5 over that someone cut and made shorter. it looked about like the frame so when i got a new front end i cut up the girder and threw it away.