Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Cycle Fabrication

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Cycle Fabrication Old School, Choppers, Bobbers, and Customs

Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Junior Fabricator

Custom Sportster Frame Build

A good friend of mine started talking about a complete custom bike build based on a late model Harley Sportser engine. After a few beers and some more talk I sat down and sketched up something and he fell in love with it. This should be a fun project for both him and myself. It's got 40 degrees of rake and will have a girder front end. Sorry for the poor quality pics, I'd rather fabricate than photograph.

As of now there's about 9 hours of labor in it and roughly $150 in parts. Still a long way to go, but again, it's something for both of us to enjoy.

Troy
Old 08-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Fabricator

Nice work so far, love the detail on the downtube.

Should be a really fun bike when all together. I've love to build one featuring a leafer front end. Maybe that'll be next on the list.

Ok that's a lie, here's the list"
Finish chopper rebuild
Finish turbocharged sportbike
Build supermotard style bike
Then build a classic style ride with a leafer front end :)

Keep us updated, want to see this thing come together.
Sky
Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Master Fabricator

very nice job , amazing what one can do if one puts their mind and skills to work , too many guys will drop $1500/$2000 on a frame rather then building one PROPS to your buddy , what are the other specs for the frame ? any rise and back bone stretch ?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Master Fabricator

Pretty cool... Lets see more.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Hey nice work.

just for my own curiosity was this built with a jig or just with skill. I have always wanted to build a bike frame just haven't ever had the need, I have built it in my head just not sure about the alignment inssues.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Hey nice job. Also curious to where or how all the sizes and length of tubes are determined. Is this a copy of a bike close by , a plan, or right out of your head? I sure wish I was close by to be able to watch all this come together.

Dan
Old 08-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Master Fabricator

nice job... i look forward to following this build. keep us posted
Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Master Fabricator

for those interested in building your own frame and such , check out thechopperbuildershandbook it,s a site that has blueprints for frame fixtures and chopper frame , the jockeyjournal and choppercult are really good sites as well . also check out the newest issue of STREETCHOPPER it has a decent write up on building a hardtail chopper frame . one of my next projects is a fixture for doing frames got a couple buddies looking to have the neck raked on their choppers
Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Where in Houston are you located sweet build
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Junior Fabricator

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

I'll try to answer all the questions as best I can.

mikefrombc: I know that the backbone is stretched and it's got a lot of rise. If I knew exactly what dimensions were used a base I could easily determine the amount of stretch and rise. When I made the drawing I just put the neck where I thought it looked right. The angle of the backbone ended up being 27 degrees. Once that was established I started laying out the girder front end to be sure that the trail would be reasonable. Right now it's about 3 1/2". The downtube is 1 1/2"x1/8" square tubing, the rest of the frame is 1 1/4" x.120 wall. Axle plates are 3/8" thick as well as the neck gusset. After a closer look, and more discussion with the owner I'm going to cut the neck gusset out and make one that's quite a bit larger. It'll look a little better I think.

CarterKraft: I actually have three frame jigs, there's another bike going together on another jig that's got a Kawi KZ440 twin. It's going to be short, low, small and hopefully very nimble. It's for a lady if that matters. The third jig is empty right now.

PRConnection: mikefrombc nailed it, chopperbuildershandbook.com has all of the info for several different frames, front ends, jigs and other parts. I used some of that info as a guide, but made modifications to suit my liking. I also work at an Engineering firm full time, so that helps a little too!!

Bent and Twisted: I'm just south of Tomball, near WillowBrook. If you're in Houston maybe we should get together for a beer and some bench racing.

Thanks again guys. I'll post some more pics as it comes together.

Troy
Old 08-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Junior Fabricator

Spent some time yesterday and completed some of the welding. I'll probably do the same again today. I've also decided to cut the neck gusset out and make one that's a little bigger.

That's all for now.

Troy
Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Master Fabricator

You had me at harley
Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit View Post
Thanks for all the compliments guys.

I'll try to answer all the questions as best I can.

mikefrombc: I know that the backbone is stretched and it's got a lot of rise. If I knew exactly what dimensions were used a base I could easily determine the amount of stretch and rise. When I made the drawing I just put the neck where I thought it looked right. The angle of the backbone ended up being 27 degrees. Once that was established I started laying out the girder front end to be sure that the trail would be reasonable. Right now it's about 3 1/2". The downtube is 1 1/2"x1/8" square tubing, the rest of the frame is 1 1/4" x.120 wall. Axle plates are 3/8" thick as well as the neck gusset. After a closer look, and more discussion with the owner I'm going to cut the neck gusset out and make one that's quite a bit larger. It'll look a little better I think.

CarterKraft: I actually have three frame jigs, there's another bike going together on another jig that's got a Kawi KZ440 twin. It's going to be short, low, small and hopefully very nimble. It's for a lady if that matters. The third jig is empty right now.

PRConnection: mikefrombc nailed it, chopperbuildershandbook.com has all of the info for several different frames, front ends, jigs and other parts. I used some of that info as a guide, but made modifications to suit my liking. I also work at an Engineering firm full time, so that helps a little too!!

Bent and Twisted: I'm just south of Tomball, near WillowBrook. If you're in Houston maybe we should get together for a beer and some bench racing.

Thanks again guys. I'll post some more pics as it comes together.

Troy
I live at west road and beltway 8
Old 12-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Machinist/Junior Faber

Very cool. What are those spider leg looking things under your jig in the first pic?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Junior Fabricator

Those are rear upper frame rails for another hardtail frame. The axle plates and tubes are tacked together at that point.

Troy
Old 12-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Fabricator

Wicked!

Awesome build!! Did it ever get finished?? I have no experience in building bikes at all. We have done offroad stuff and some horse farm equipment gates and chutes ect.. However i would love to build a sick chopper frame.. I have been reading some stuff on the chopperbook.. great link!!