Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 10-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Master Fabricator

Looks good and I can appreciate the motivation
It looks like a Maintenance Nightmare

Old 10-07-2014, 04:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Very sweet build! I love the old school body's used for something other than hotrods.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Master Fabricator

Started on some other work on this truck. Trying to get it started and maybe moving under its own power around Christmas time. Radiator build, intercooler, etc etc all has to happen here soon. I stopped on my floorboard / firewall build for a hot minute to start on my driver's seat frame and also to shuffle around the truck and some tools. Trying my hand at a Baileigh Industrial shop contest. I LOVE my mag brake but I really need to get my hands on a decent bead roller and some other sheet metal working tools to finish up this truck and also I have a line of other trucks that will need sheet metal interior work, including a wicked wicked nasty Mud race truck.

So picture bombardment...

Mockup steering wheel

Floor stuff

Cowl and hood back on for fitting all of the things into none of the space.

Went for a ride to another shop for a quick adventure...

And then the truck posed for some pictures... I have lots of these but I can't share till the photographer says so... / see what Baileigh thinks.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Great progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
Can you explain how you make the flange / recess area for the shifter cutout? Was that done with a bead roller or some other kind of flanging tool?

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Great progress?

Can you explain how you make the flange / recess area for the shifter cutout? Was that done with a bead roller or some other kind of flanging tool?
Yea, it was a borrowed and not very pleasant to use manual hand crank bead roller with a 1/8" step die that I offset a little bit just to give at smoother transition edge. I'm going to install a reinforcment plate underneath the flange and hold it in place with rivnuts that will also be used to screw the shifter cover/ attachment plate down. The shifter is going to be a cable operation job hooked to a cut down parking brake handle out of a '43 GMC CCKW 2 ton military truck.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Fabricator

Bad Ass Rig!

Im Following this build! Very nice work man!! what kind of wheels are those? They look like My Hummer wheels except yours have cool holes! Are those a military spec wheel or something else?
Old 12-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattcat69 View Post
Im Following this build! Very nice work man!! what kind of wheels are those? They look like My Hummer wheels except yours have cool holes! Are those a military spec wheel or something else?
Thanks!

They are the Hutchinson two piece Alloy beadlocks off of the '03-'04 Border Patrol Chevy 3/4 ton trucks.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Fabricator

Thats interesting!

Border patrol! That is kick ass! i wonder if boyce equipment gets those in? Are they standard 8 on 6.5? what size are they? I bet there alot lighter than the old H1s.. I went from 12 bolt to 8 bolts to get a lighter wheel but i still have the mag runflats i just cut them down to the ring... Which was fun because it gave me a bunch of magnesium shavings to play with
Old 12-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattcat69 View Post
Border patrol! That is kick ass! i wonder if boyce equipment gets those in? Are they standard 8 on 6.5? what size are they? I bet there alot lighter than the old H1s.. I went from 12 bolt to 8 bolts to get a lighter wheel but i still have the mag runflats i just cut them down to the ring... Which was fun because it gave me a bunch of magnesium shavings to play with
16x8s I believe, and yes, 8 on 6.5 but the centers have to be machined just like an H2 wheel in order to fit over a lug-centric type hub vs the GM hub-centric setup. They come up on Craigslist sometimes but people usually want way too much. I found these at an Auction locally and got them at a more than fair price simply out of dumb luck / knowing the right people.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Fabricator

Awesome

Right on! Thanks for that info!! im gonna keep my eyes peeled! They sure look right at home on your rig!! very kick ass project ill be following!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:06 AM
Master Fabricator

Wow buddy, nice build. Your work is flawless,now back
that aforementioned photo shoot!! :) haha
Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Fabricator

Thumbs up Updates?

Awesome build.

Great attention to detail in the little unseen things.....great job.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopars 4 Life View Post
Wow buddy, nice build. Your work is flawless,now back
that aforementioned photo shoot!! :) haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpickupman View Post
Awesome build.

Great attention to detail in the little unseen things.....great job.
Thanks guys! But my work is far from flawless... thats for sure!

Been doing a little more work to it.

A/C and Alternator Combo bracket

Tightly packed in there...

Bent up a fan shroud and bolted an E-fan to it...

Relocated my automatic belt tensioner...

Started stuffing the radiator into the cowl...

And started on an intercooler build for it...

Old 01-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Master Fabricator

Nice! Beautiful work on the alt/ac bracket.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:24 PM
Master Fabricator

It's guys like you that make guys like me feel like apes welding with a coat hanger and a couple half dead car batteries... This build is for sure my favorite build EVER. Don't be like all the other guys that have something like this going and then scrap it or sell it because they lose interest. I hope to see this one finished! Nice work man. just to let you know... I'll probably be copying some of your ideas to the best of my ability one day.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.S.F.W View Post
It's guys like you that make guys like me feel like apes welding with a coat hanger and a couple half dead car batteries... This build is for sure my favorite build EVER. Don't be like all the other guys that have something like this going and then scrap it or sell it because they lose interest. I hope to see this one finished! Nice work man. just to let you know... I'll probably be copying some of your ideas to the best of my ability one day.
I think I need to thank you for your excellent timing. I haven't been posting much on this build lately as I've been kind of frustrated with it; frustrated with life, work, weather... etc. My other hobby has been creeping back into my life and that is building Jeeps / wheeling. I picked up a powered bead roller over Christmas and I have been less than thrilled with it. I know that its one of those "its an art and takes time to learn" things but even so, I imagined something of a better product than what I'm getting out of it and also a smaller pile of scrap metal from screwing up but once again that is probably on me as I have seen where other guys with the same machine are rolling out nice quality work... then again all I see is their good stuff so who knows how big their scrap pile might also be.

I've also been burned out lately by the internet "Trolls". There are people out there who go out of their way to trash talk this project simply because they still believe I am ruining a piece of history. Its been Hoax listed on Craigslist twice now recently, and I've had to leave WWII Truck facebook groups and some forums and even one of the Power wagon groups.

I’ve actually been just working on the seats and fitting the AC condenser and such under the front cowl. The interior stuff is not going to be super fancy and more of a replication of the original but with a few more comfort items such as slider adjustments and back rest angle adjustments. As comfortable as bucket seats would be, the nature of this machine is not to be aesthetically super modified but rather functionally modified without a massive appearance change. Bucket seats to me just immediately scream that something is off with the truck.

But yea, just frustrated with this mess lately. Also my wife finally beat me down enough and talked me into needing a better car for her to go on longer trips; her ‘04 Wrangler on Full widths, H2s, 35”s, long arm was not comfortable for her long trips for her Photography business which is true; . So have a car payment again… which means less extra money for this project.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Master Fabricator

Glad I could help! sorry to hear the struggles. Don't give up man! This is way too awesome to walk away from! This is the kind of build that makes people famous!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Junior Fabricator

I was a car designer for a lot of years and I've heard it all. Like the Porsche guys who call a non concours restoration an "outlaw". Ignore the guys saying you're ruining it. Your work is first class, and everything you've posted so far is professional and in good taste. Besides, its yours so screw them. Personally I think what you are doing is extremely cool.

Ive seen plenty of "ruined" old cars, usually because they're hack jobs. This is not one of them. Keep going and have fun
Old 02-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Master Fabricator

eff the rest of the web! Hang out where your work and creativity are appreciated... the OFN!

I know the feeling about the car payment but kind'a like you said the 4" lift ARB 4.56:1 on 33's Ranger 280k miles was just not cutting it for her ride & she wants the house "Done"

E

Old 02-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Master Fabricator

I sacrificed my ride and put sum nice wheels and tires on my wife's truck. Now my daily driver is a crawler and when I need to go somewhere I just comendere her truck. Just gotta know how to play the game... Probably helps that she is a truck girl cuz she's scared to ride in smaller vehicles for fear of the sardine effect in the event of a crash.