Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 05-30-2017, 01:45 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I also want to share a major fail from the day. Just after I pulled in, a bright orange '07 Lamborghini Gallardo pulled up behind me. I've always been a major fan of Lamborghinis. I even toured the factory in Italy a number of years ago. So before we moved to the grid, I snapped a few photos, including this one of my rear wheel with the front of the Lamborghini in the background. At the time I took the photo I thought it was just a cool juxtaposition of muscle vs. exotic, but it sort of foreshadowed what was to come.

As the Lamborghini was about half way through it's second or third run, heading toward the grid of cars waiting for their next run, the front driver wheel suffered catastrophic failure. The 5 spokes broke off at the center and the car slammed to the ground on it's rotor. As it skidded to a stop, the wheel and tire rolled off at speed, flying toward the grid of waiting cars. By stroke of luck, it veered around, rolling full speed past the crowd of onlookers and eventually slamming into an aircraft hanger a few hundred yards from where it launched.

Thankfully no one was hurt. It could have been so much worse if this happened on a canyon road or highway or if that tire had decided to follow just a slightly different path into people or other cars.

I took a look at the failed wheel and while "Lamborghini" was cast into the back side, I can only guess this was a China knock off. You can buy these black chrome wheels on eBay for around $1k each. Buyer beware!!!

Last edited by TheBandit; 05-30-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:12 PM
Designer & Builder

You are at where I call the 90% build phase zone. Everything is fully functional, you proved it out this last weekend. Now you spend the rest of your life making changes in the 10% area, there will always be something else. You can never get to 100% done unless you sell it. That's not gonna happen. Going from the classis straight line stance and to a more balanced suspension package will be a whole new build. The current stance reminds me of all the kids in the mid-80's with Nova's cruising the streets. I was rolling in a 1970 Challenger, setup the same way, fats in the back and skinnies in the front.
Carry on.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:06 PM

Rory, you've pretty well hit the nail on the head, both in terms of project stage and the stance of the car. I am gearing up for some changes that will re-situate it, but it's going to be a few weeks before I have anything to show.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:41 PM

In March 2012 (5+ years ago) I posted the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Got a package yesterday - a set of Hotchkis 1.5" drop leafs with a rate that's "matched" to work well with the 600lb/in springs I'm putting up front. I found these "used" for a reasonable price. The previous owner put them on his Camaro for mock-up, but never drove the car with them, so everything is fresh. He also threw in some 1/2" aluminum lowering blocks, but I don't plan to use them. If I decide to go lower, I'll use steel blocks.

After studying the photos from autocross, it was obvious the rearend was not doing it's fare share of the work. With stiffer springs and swaybar up front, all the weight goes to the front outside tire in a turn due to the mismatch in roll stiffness. So I decided it was time to finally install the Hotchkis springs out back.

First, off with the OE-spec multileafs and slide-a-link traction bars.

And the new springs in.

The good news is they did drop the car by about 1.5in.

The bad news is they did drop the car by about 1.5in... and the tires no longer have any clearance.

Looking inside, I've got about 1in to the inner fenderwell while the outside is touching both the rolled lip and further inside the quarter panel. By some coincidence, both driver & passenger sides have about the same 1in of clearance and similar amount of interference at the outside.

Lifting the tire, that 1in of clearance goes away pretty quickly on the inside and opens up the outside clearance. Not a lot of wiggle room in here with 275s (measure 11-1/8 section width at the bulge)

So it looks like I'm going to need some new wheels and tires with a better fitting offset. I have been wanting to get larger diameter wheels so I can step into a better set of tires, but I have to admit finding wheels is a challenge. Selection isn't very good on 1pcs wheels with enough offset for the Nova, and I don't have the budget for 2 or 3pc wheels with custom offsets. To compound that there aren't many wheel styles I like and larger dia wheels really take some getting used to visually. The search is on!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
To compound that there aren't many wheel styles I like and larger dia wheels really take some getting used to visually. The search is on!
I wish you all the best in this search!

I'm in the same boat with a 57-Bird.

E
Old 06-27-2017, 11:31 AM

Are you upsizing also? Seems like tire manufacturers are focused on 18"+ these days in anything wider than a 195. Availability seems to be going down for 17". What size wheels & tires are you looking to run?

My challenge is finding wheels with sufficient offset. Seems like most muscle cars will accept 0mm offset wheels so there are a ton on the market, but the back of my Nova needs a lot of offset (+19mm or so) to have any chance of fitting a 275. I could get wheels intended for a late model (i.e. current generation Camaro) with around +40mm offset, then use a 3/4" thick wheel adapter to get the right offset overall, but I don't like the idea of using wheel adapters or the lack of dish on the wheels (depending on wheel style).

There are a few wheels out there in a 10-12mm offset that would probably work okay with a 255. I may go that route.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Are you upsizing also? Seems like tire manufacturers are focused on 18"+ these days in anything wider than a 195. Availability seems to be going down for 17". What size wheels & tires are you looking to run?

My challenge is finding wheels with sufficient offset. Seems like most muscle cars will accept 0mm offset wheels so there are a ton on the market, but the back of my Nova needs a lot of offset (+19mm or so) to have any chance of fitting a 275. I could get wheels intended for a late model (i.e. current generation Camaro) with around +40mm offset, then use a 3/4" thick wheel adapter to get the right offset overall, but I don't like the idea of using wheel adapters or the lack of dish on the wheels (depending on wheel style).

There are a few wheels out there in a 10-12mm offset that would probably work okay with a 255. I may go that route.
the Bird is sitting on 205/75R-14...
White walls.
Wheel wise anything is a step up and I'm thinking this for a wheel But I'm really limited on what will fit and I cant get to carried away with the tire profile or it will look silly.

E
Old 06-27-2017, 04:09 PM

Wheel shopping sucks. I thought it would be fun to pick out new wheels, but it's like the cost, quality, and speed triad: look, fitment, cost - pick two! Meanwhile the car sits again... ugh.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Master Fabricator

If you're OK with Painted here is some links I saved for myself.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wheel-...5-x-8,218.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...8308#answerbox

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/02/Steelies/
Old 06-29-2017, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the links. I was looking a lot at that tire calculator. It's pretty useful info.

Last night had just a few minutes to take measurements, so I quickly attached a straightedge to the wheel mounting surface and grabbed a few relevant points.

The passenger side measured 6-3/4" WMS to the inside, 4-3/4" to the outside. The driver's side was 7" WMS to the inside, 4-5/8" to the outside. The least width is 11-1/2" so if I want a reasonable amount of clearance I will probably have to stick to a 255 or smaller.

Does anyone know of a good rule of thumb or advice for minimum sidewall clearance? I'm looking at 255/40R18 or 255/45/18 which have section width of 10.3". I was thinking inside clearance may be more important than outside since the loaded tire will move toward the inside in a corner and the other tire will drop away somewhat.

*EDIT* Came across one source that said 1/2" to the outside and 3/4" to the inside. I can't quite get there, but could get close if I dial it in with shims.

Last edited by TheBandit; 06-29-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:36 PM

Been doing some number crunching and it seems like getting 255s in there is going to take just the right offset and quite a bit of it. 27mm offset on the driver's side would give me .538" outside clearance and .787" inside clearance. The passenger side wants 22.5mm offset to get .486" outside clearance and 0.714" inside.

One option is to get a wheel intended for a 5th gen Camaro. I found a style I like with +32mm offset and I could use relatively thin wheel spacers (3/16" drv., 3/8" pass.) to get each side where I want it. One thing I like about using a wheel with extra offset then adding spacers is that if I upgrade the brakes down the road, I wont have to worry so much about the new brakes pushing the wheels out. And if I have rubbing on one side or the other, I can adjust the offset

However those will have a 120mm bolt pattern (BP) instead of a 120.65/4.75in. I do not want mismatched BP; each stud would be off it's hole center by about 0.013in which to me is unacceptable. But I did come across this jig for redrilling the axle flange which could take care of that situation. Throw some new, slightly longer ARP studs in there and I'd be in business.

Link here: http://www.rottenleonard.com/Menu.html

I guess I'll have to crunch the numbers on this and see if it makes sense both financially and from a fitment perspective.

Last edited by TheBandit; 06-29-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Master Fabricator

What about a set of Diamond Racing wheels? They arent super cool, but they arent bad for steelies either. And you can get pretty much any size and offset you want. Might be a good "for now" option.

Dan