Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice job Dan.

I'm lining my shop with that metal also which made me think....how the heck did you cut the opening? That stuff is not fun to cut on the ground let alone over head!
Old 10-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Master Fabricator

I literally did it with tin snips. I did a little with the sawzall but what a noisy mess. Def the worst part is getting over the bumps... Ive learned that if you pull hard on what you're cutting off and roll it up, it makes it MUCH easier.

Also this is the liner panel which is a bit thinner than the exterior metal, so its def not nearly as bad to cut. Not sure if you have that also or not.

Cutting between ribs i use an electric milwaukee shear (the kind that makes the curly q of scrap). Goes thru it like butter.

Dan
Old 10-21-2016, 07:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Yeah, I'm using the liner panel also. I have used the diablo metal blade in a skil saw, works good for straight cuts, but very noisy!

I was told an air nibbler is the best, but have not tried it.

Nice job, jealous of your new lift!
Old 04-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Back in Feb I finally ran some air lines. Decided to do copper since it was only going to be one drop at first and then I was going to run more later.... well in typical fashion it turned into plumbing the whole thing at once. All in all it cost me about $700 including a couple of good Wilkerson regulators and the huge DIY desiccant filter. I ordered all of the valves and fittings online which saved me a fortune compared to Lowes or HD pricing. I used flex hoses between the compressor and between each regulator to make servicing them easier. For some reason I dont have the finished pics of all the drops, but you get the idea. Maybe Ill grab some this week, but prob not.

Ive been running the air nearly every other night since I installed the desiccant filter and have yet to get a single drop of water in the wilkerson filter after it. So Id say its working out.

First the desiccant filter.

Some ss wire mesh epoxied into each end keeps the desiccant in place.
[img][/img]

Bulk desiccant. My setup holds about 3.5lbs or half of this tub

Sight glass to keep an eye on things

North wall

Filter painted up.

Compressor connection (just realizing the old sharpe regulator is still in use here, i really need to update these pics)

Fab area drop

South wall

And a drop near the overhead doors for filling tires etc.

I also ran a line to the woodshop upstairs. I rebuilt my old Sharpe regulator for up there (no pics)..

Finally mounted my tig filler to the welding table. Nothing fancy, just a bolt to support them and some safety wire to tie them to the leg.

Up next I made a rolling trolley and track for a hoist to aid in lifting wheels/tires up onto the shelf where I store them. Its just a HF hoist, some ebay skateboard wheels and some square tubing. The assembly bolts to the side of a truss in the attic (which was a real hoot to do)

And in place

I still need to string up a cable for a line cord to hang from. Probably zip tied to some shower curtain hooks or something so it moves with the trolley.

Dan
Old 04-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I imagine that will come in handy for more than tires. You and your awesome big shop problems.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Master Fabricator

Haha, Im sure it will.

Dan
Old 04-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Master Fabricator

Cleaned up the area under the stairs sat. No before pics, but picture just a pile of shit. Managed to fit all the jacks and oil drain etc under there. Added hooks for the smaller jacks, handles, etc. And a couple plastic bins for funnels and the hand pump.

Picked up a second vise so I could have one at the fab bench (walking across the shop is hard). When I made the welding table I added two receiver tubes for mounting a vise or whatever else I may want to use. Plus its easy to slip it out if its in the way. I purposely left the tube long so I could side it out for more versatility.

Dan
Old 04-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Master Fabricator

Looking good! I have the same oil drain and jack stands.

How does the bulk dessicant work? I'm picturing it all packing together and blocking flow, but I must be missing something.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks!

As far as the desiccant goes, they are hard round balls so there is plenty of air space between them for the air to flow through. Its not much different than the small desiccant filters youd screw onto the input of a spray gun or something, only way bigger.

Dan
Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Picked the hottest day of 2017 thusfar to work on the tablesaw. I pulled the top off, cleaned it all out, lubed up everything (pretty sure it hasnt been done since it was new in 1997), and made a quick plate to take up the space around the port for the dust collector in the cabinet.

Not a perfect fit, but good enough to get most of it going in the right direction vs just piling up around the black funnel piece.

Then I took a few mins and hung up a couple shelves I had lying around, and organized the bench a bit.

After almost 20 years finally made an output table for the saw (3x6ft). Its nothing special, I had all the supplies laying around, but now I can cut a full 4x8 sheet solo. I made it free standing so I can slide it around the shop to use as an assembly table etc. So far its working out great.

Added a wall switch for the dust collector so I dont have to reach way back on the motor all the time. And added a floor sweep and gate. No more dust pans, woo.

All this work on the saw was so I could build a new house for the family rabbit. So far its turning out decent for plywood. Just finished painting the first color last night (well this am). Hoping to finish up other than the top this weekend so I can get back to fun car projects. For the top I put an order in with my father in law for some old barn boards. He has stacks of them, but they are in Ithaca so it might be a few weeks before its really finished.

The Allroad hadnt been on the lift for a couple weeks so of course it was time.

Did the front air springs last night. Was a pretty easy job, only took 2.5 hours wheel up to wheels down.

Luckily I lubed the shit out of the pinch bolts with copper liquid moly when I did the control arms exactly a year ago, they slid right out and were perfect.

Dan