Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Questions about truck beds

Hi all--

I have a 2007 Chevrolet 2500 4 x 4 single cab work truck. I am needing more storage space for tools. The truck has 240,000 miles.

So I am thinking about buying a Knapheide utility bed that is on a 2008 Chevrolet 2500. The bed is in good shape and all the doors work.

So my major question is how hard is it to install these beds? I have plenty of ways to lift the new and old bed, so that is not a problem.

Anything I need to look for on the utility bed?

Any suggestions?

Steve
Old 09-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Master Fabricator

The mounting hardware in the original bed can be a PITA to remove.
I soaked my bed hardware in Kroil for 3-weeks and wire brushed the threads.
I've found that it is often better to use a breaker-bar then a Rattle wrench to brake the hardware loose. That and have a large someone pushing down on the bolt head at the same time... Unless you arent saving the bed then a torch works nicely!
Nothing new there.

FWIW:
The idolater pads for the new bed I would check with the manufacturer for what they use for isolation.
One thing I can offer is that the utility box is generally a bunch stiffer then the OEM bed and I have seen damage to the box and frame, because if the difference if the truck is run in the rough.
To address this I use a spring on the last two mounts (Tailgate) between the bottom of the frame mount and the nut,to allow the frame to twist at a different rate then the box.
I use soft plug cups that will fit around the spring, drilled on center for the appropriate size bolt to allow the spring to compress. One on each end of the spring.
I've been doing this on both Fullsize Blazers and Broncos for decades.
Basically connecting the box to the front of the frame by the cab and letting it float from behind the front spring mount rearward.

E

Old 10-01-2017, 08:56 PM
Master Fabricator

After getting several beds sold out from under me, I finally have a utility bed.

I have my truck bed off, and the utility bed next to it. I was stopped in my tracks by the gas filler hose!!! Hopefully I will be able to find one tomorrow.

I will post pictures once it is installed.

I am looking for an inverter to charge dewalt batteries. Any suggestions?

Steve
Old 10-01-2017, 11:28 PM
Master Fabricator

Our service trucks come with these Vanner 2000w pure sine inverters, they power all my computer's, microwave, cordless chargers and everything really. I am sure they are pricey but they work awesome.

In my last truck (long story) the cheap ass supervisor tried to rig his own truck and bought a few Cobra 2500w modified sine wave inverters and they worked just fine for all the same uses... Probably a $1000 cheaper inverter...