Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Fabricator

Quick cage cert. ?

OK, I should probably no this. At what point (how fast) do you need to be going to have to have the cage certified and not just pass tech at a local track. A few new jobs are popping up and and one is going to be a car for some nostalgia drags probably only a 11 sec. car but I guess for there rules it still needs a cage. Then we have 2 cars that seem to be getting faster and faster every other month. Both of cars have already dipped into the high 9s. 1 car just has someones 4 point the other car has nothing at all. Needless to say these guys either get told to slow way down or put it on the trailer.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Master Fabricator

If it was me I would build all the cages to NHRA spec. IHRA is a little more liberal. We had a car that didn't pass tech and they, NHRA,considered it a car that didn't have a cage at all.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Master Fabricator

I always thought it was 9.99,,, not 100% sure so don't quote me on that. I'm jus a circle track guy and we all need a cage of atleast 6 points.

Dqracer
QuickEngineering.net
Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Master Fabricator

Sorry misunderstood. From NHRA
6.00 to7.49 roll cage required.
7.50 to 9.99 or faster than 135 mph roll cage required
10.00 to10.99 roll bar required
11.00 to11.49 roll bar required
Grab a NHRA rule book all the required bars and specs are in there. If you build it to NHRA spec it will pass IHRA.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Junior Fabricator

I have a customer that wants a cage in a neon that is going to run in the 9's but I want to build him a cage capable of 8's if he gets faster. Does he need a 8 point or a 10 point?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Look up Drag Racing on line. then click on project muscrate. There doing a nice cage. It might give you some ideas. A pic is worth a 1000 words.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Dixie,
Go with a 10 point. Nothing worse than having a customer complain to you in a year, because you werent the nice guy who "should have told them they needed a 10 point instead of 8". HAHAHA.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Junior Fabricator

That is what I figured, and I talked to the customer and he said it would run 9.30's its first time out so I know when he gets it dialed in it will be in the 8's
Old 12-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Junior Fabricator

NHRA says 9.99 or quicker, the car must be certified.
IHRA says 8.99 or quicker, the car must be certified. Like was said before, build it to NHRA specs and all the world is yours. A little story here. Back when I was building my first Duster, there was no such thing as chassis certification. After I got it almost done, after building it for a year, this certification deal comes along, so I race it for a season, only running 10 teens. But after the first year, I am going to replace the stock sheet metal with 'glass. Now, I know, it's gonna go in the 9's, so I put in a f/c cage kit and call it good. Well, another guy that got his tubing where I got mine gets busted for the cage being too thin. S H Y T !!!!!!!!!! Well, I go to get it certified, and , you guessed it, it don't pass. Well they let me run it at Norwalk and 42, but Milan said no. So, I just don't go to Milan that year, and the next year I put all new tubing in it except the bottom rails, which were OK. So, a hard lesson in chassis certification for sure. I also had a Buddy who had an older Zeeker chassis that he started before this that would not pass, man was he pissed off, got rid of the car, and still don't race to this day.