Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Supermodified Headers

Here are a few pics of my current project...headers for a supermodified. I have been working on the car for a while, undoing the abuse from a previous owner. The headers that came with the car were completely unusable.

These started out as the Speedway Motors big block kit and some extra U- and J-bends. They're 2" 18 gauge tubing with 3-1/2" collectors. The primaries are 30" long, which is the major challenge on a project like this...maintaining the primary length while fitting them into a tight space.

I've got one more pipe to finish on the right side, which I'm planning to tackle this afternoon.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Those look cool as hell. Now, I don't know crap about supermods, and this is a noob question, but why is the motor off center, and at an angle?

I hope to learn something today haha
Old 12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice stuff.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Bag View Post
Those look cool as hell. Now, I don't know crap about supermods, and this is a noob question, but why is the motor off center, and at an angle?

I hope to learn something today haha
Circle track I believe.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Very cool and nice job. We don't have any supers here in KS, so I've only seen them on TV and pictures and stuff. I guess I never realized that the right header ran forward. You posted pics of the car that got crashed, is that a new one that you built or bought, or and old one?
Old 12-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice job Graham. those pics brought back some memories of back in the day when I was workin on Supers in the early 70's. We ran at Fulton and Oswego, car owner and driver was Al Clark.
Jimmy Shampine was my hero back then,, R.I.P. Jimmy. we miss ya.

Dqracer
QuickEngineering.net
Old 12-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corban_White View Post
Circle track I believe.

That would make sense... keep weight on the low side
Old 12-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Master Fabricator

wow..looks friggin awesome...I would think you'd have to kill someone when those get wrecked!!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

The engine is offset because we only turn left. By starting with a large percentage of the weight on the left side, the loads on the tires are more balanced in the corners, which makes for more grip. We are limited by rule to 68% left side weight at the end of the feature.

The amount the engine is layed over is up to the builder. This one is 25 degrees from vertical. The car that got crashed was 20 degrees. Some are straight up. It helps get more left side weight and drop the CG of the engine.

The routing of the headers is also up to the builder. I am running the right header forward because that was the best package...I am keeping it under the hood to clean up aerodynamics on the right side of the car. I am planning to mount the radiator on the right side because I am out of room on the left, and I'm tired of getting the LF wheel shoved into the radiator every time you get into a little jingle.

This car belongs to a different owner than the car that got wrecked. We are talking about building a car to replace that one, but it will be all my design instead of reworking an existing piece.

I ended up having to redo the pipe on #4 cylinder, because I couldn't get #2 routed in such a way that it was 30" long like the others. Here are a few pictures of the finished product.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Graham, what are you doing to keep the header heat off of the drivers legs.?
Header wrap..? ceramic tiles that fell off the space shuttle..? jus curious..

Dqracer
QuickEngineering.net
Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Master Fabricator

The biggest thing is to maintain an air gap between the top panel of the foot box (which mounts on top of the frame) and the headers. There is a minimum of 1/4", and most places 1/2" gap between the top of the frame and the pipes.

I also use the self adhesive insulating blanket and header wrap from Thermo Tec. This stuff does actually work...we appreciably dropped the cockpit temp on the old car with this stuff, and also stopped the headers from burning the paint off the hood.

I am also planning on louvering the hood on this car to keep air moving over the pipes...which is why I was asking about louver rolls in one of my other threads.