Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Junior Fabricator

65 Mustang Coil-over kit

I just finished a coil-over kit for a customer that road races his 65 Mustang.
I used a set of Pro shocks with valving picked after running his old shocks on the dyno. Here are a couple of shots.
We ran into a few small snags along the way. The factory sway bar would not fit anywhere after the change, so we fabbed a new one with a torsion bar.
The customer raced it a few weeks ago without the sway bar and needless to say it had a little sway to it. Seems to be satisfied with it though and we built lots of adjustment into the entire thing.
I used threaded ball joints to make the whole deal a bit simpler for the customer in the long run. Beats pressing them out any day as far as I'm concerned.
Next test is next weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Junior Fabricator

Looks real nice!!!...Are those factory spindles....what ball joints did you use that matched the stock taper or did you jus ream the spindles to match the ball joints??
Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Junior Fabricator

yes

They are factory spindles and the top was reamed .030" Not a huge deal and took only minutes to get them set.
I used a Moog K772 equivalent joint with u-b machine cups. I just never liked the idea of press-in joints because they aren't done in a hurry and the whole dis-assembly thing doesn't work well at the track.
I will try to get more pics soon as it left kinda hastly due to time contraints but seems to be working well.
Update: CMP went fairly well. The new sway bar and PH bar turned out to be easily adjusted by the customer. The PH bar was installed in the absolute lowest position and was raised 3 holes during the event. (after bringing the rear around of course.)
We still have some fine tuning to do and with any luck I will be able to make the trip with him the end of this month to Summit Point. Giving him more time to think about whats going on and not worrying about getting the car ready.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Junior Fabricator

uh. well.

This project didn't go so well.. Or at least the part of getting our name out on the track.
The car was crashed hard last month at VIR. The customer was racing a BMW and a Camaro up over a blind hill.. Needless to say there was another mustang parked on the right side of the track where he was and had no room to move or stop.
He t-boned the other car with his right front into the other cars left front. It's bad enough the passenger floor boards are crinkled. The arms didn't fair so bad. We lost a shock, a few heims and the mounting tabs for the arms. That was our week link and it seems to have at least saved a few parts out of it. As soon as he gets it torn down I will get pics of the damage.
Looks like it's going to be a long winter.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Junior Fabricator

Ouch!

Chris