Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Master Fabricator

Wheel scales from bathroom scales

Has anyone ever made and used the bathroom scale and lever system for weighing there cars? I do believe a long time ago that one of the magazines did an article on how to make and use them, but I can’t seem to find it. If anyone has any info of plans on these could you pass it on? Thanks
Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Master Fabricator

someone on pirate just did this, I remember reading about it, maybe a week ago. Search over there, I'm sure you will find allot of info on it. Then you can post back here with what you find, hehe
Old 04-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Fabricator

Try a search on ebay motors, under racing parts i think it was. Several for sale, good pictures. I bought a set. For the price they can't be beat. within ten pounds of the tracks scales @3000 pounds.
If you can't find'em, pm me with an email. I'll shoot some pictures your way.

Micha
Old 04-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Fabricator

Here is a link to a gallery of pics.

http://gasphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/...9275#145829275

4 to one ratio, 8" increments in this case.
All the pieces are coded with little colored stars, for consistency in assembly.
One thing I keep meaning to do is add a bead on the long sides of the scale plate. To keep it from rollong off.
All it takes is finger tip presure to move the car around.
You could go with fixed tire plates, I run a lot of camber in my car, the rockers help on centering the tires to the plates.
Another option is for turntable tire plates, for cheking weight movement at different stearing angles.

As for what scales to use, these one are about the cheepest out there, less than ten bucks. Could go with some high dollar digitals for less than 20.
Take your reading at the scale and multiply by 4 for wheel weight. There are some sites out there to plug in the weights and get percentages ect if ya dont want to do the math.
I bought this set for 225.00 , lazy.
I bet the most expensive componet is the bearings.

Last edited by GAS; 04-22-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks, I made a set this morning. Couldn't get the bearings today so I put push rods under my plates. I used them on a drag car and it came out to 7 3/4 pounds heavy from a digital set. Not to shabby. Front and back weights were good and so was side to side. I think the investment was well worth it. Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Master Fabricator

By the way I went big time and bought the digatl scales. On clearance from Bed Bath and Beyond $9.95.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladderbar View Post
By the way I went big time and bought the digatl scales. On clearance from Bed Bath and Beyond $9.95.
You just never know where a guy might find his next tool.
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 04-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Master Fabricator

I have the same se as Gas. I like mine. they work great. I would judt be careful with the digital scales. I have heard others claim that the repeatability is not real great on those. Also make sure that you pick one scale and ajust the rest to it. I usually zero out one scale, place a battery or something else heavy on it (like me), take the reading and then make the rest read the same when the object is placed on the other 3 scales. That makes sure that all the scales will read the same under weight. I found that if I just zero out all the scales that they will all read a little different. Remamber 1 pound on the scale is 4 lbs on the car.
Just though I would throw that out there.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 AM
Junior Fabricator

I had a scale set using bathroom scales for 2 years before I ponied up and bought the real thing...bathroom scales were just as accurate. I used 3 200lb scales under each wheel, with one 10" long piece of PVC pipe on top of each scale, and a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood on top of the pipes. The pipe acted as rollers and allowed the suspension to relax when you set the car down on top of them with a jack. Just add the readings together on all the scales under one wheel and you have the cornerweight. Sometimes, if one of the scales is maxed out, you have to reposition slightly, but for a light car, 2 per wheel does the trick. I bought the scales at WalMart for $4.99 each, and I had the pipe and plywood. I like to weight the car with me in the seat, and I have a hard time finding helpers (even though I seem to always be helping others), so I bougth the electronic $1000 setup with the stupid box that I can look at from the drivers seat.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Master Fabricator

This is the set I bought. I like to weigh mine with the driver also. So I just figure out how much balist I need and add it. Like a couple of batterys, a thrid member and such. http://www.madone.net/html/goods___services.html
Old 05-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Master Fabricator

I love the idea of the rollers and the leverage. I must admit I have been looking for a while and not seen anything as clever.
An idea for anyone who lives in a rural area I bought a set of 4 load cells and a digital readout box that had once been a set of cattle scales. I got the lot at auction for $100. After soldering up the connector on the power pack they work just fine. They read up to 2,000 kilograms per cell and readout to 1 decimal place.

A lot tougher than bathroom scales and I suspect give more repeatable results.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Master Fabricator

Try to find a set of grain scales.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Since the link above is dead, I found a photo of the basic idea here:

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Since the link above is dead, I found a photo of the basic idea here:
That's the right basic idea, but really poor execution. You need the levers to be really stiff, especially if you're deliberately trying to jack cross weight into the suspension. If the levers deflect, it's going to take cross weight with it, resulting in a measured value that can be significantly less than what the tires see with the car on the ground.

If I was doing this for a track setup, I would be very careful to mark which corner the scale and lever are being used on, and never deviate from that. Otherwise, I think you're chasing your tail because there are enough variables that it would be hard to get consistently the same answer.

No matter what you're using for scales (even digital) it's really important to level things and center the car the same way every time in order to get repeatable results.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:27 AM
Junior Fabricator

I have a floor scale and i use that for measuring the car parts. But you need tricks that how you can avoid scale from breaking because some scale don't have surface that can face much load.Or use scale that can measure weight of car one each side at same time.

Last edited by Willson; 05-15-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:47 PM
Junior Fabricator

i have used my etekcity bathroom scale and it is really great
Old 08-19-2017, 04:27 AM
Banned

Hi guys , a few days ago i have used bathroom scale and very great. Using bathroom scales for 2 years before I ponied up and bought the real thing...bathroom scales were just as accurate. I used 3 200lb scales under each wheel, with one 10" long piece of PVC pipe on top of each scale, and a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood on top of the pipes.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Jimmy is getting smarter. The post above has cuts from post #9 above.

Nice work Jimmy!
Old 08-19-2017, 11:51 PM
Master Fabricator

But Jimmy do you think 3/4" ply is strong enough?