Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Well Rick finished up tonight. Im finally out of fuel, so this is it.

21psi peak, 19 out the back... observed power, no corrections: 331hp/313ftlbs

Picking it up tomorrow am. I cant fn wait.

Dan
Old 08-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Very impressive.That is a sleeper! No one will expect that car to have that.I piss people off with a N/A Neon.It doesn't put anything like that down but it does O.K. for short runs.Enough for a work car.They just think it has fouled plugs and a rough idle.Silly people!

No really though you did one hell of a job on the car.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Master Fabricator

No updates on the fueling yet. Liklely its going to wait until winter since the inline is getting it done for now.

I did however, finally start working on getting heat back in the car. I figure it will extend my drivetime further into the fall and give me a way to defog the windshield.

Basically I just cut the blower box up thats normally mounted to the firewall in the engine bay, and added a couple small pieces of ss to make like a shroud for the stock heater core. The whole thing will mount underdash and point through the dash defroster hole.

Hoping to have this installed in the next week or so.

Dan
Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Master Fabricator

I finsihed up the mounting last night. The two front straps attach to the metal dash bar and the top one attaches to a little factory screw mount up under the wiper cowl. I reloacted the resistors into the plenum.

Just need to redo the wiring and run the coolant lines and probably extend the little abs plenum I made that used to mate to the top of the factory air box.

Dan
Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Master Fabricator

Remind me, is this the 2.2l motor? If it is, I am waaayyyy impressed. Back in the day when I was a Chevy Tech, we used to call the 2.2l motors ballerina motors....
Get it? It's a two two motor.....

crickets? why am I hearing crickets?

Cheer'z!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPI Motorsports View Post
Remind me, is this the 2.2l motor? If it is, I am waaayyyy impressed. Back in the day when I was a Chevy Tech, we used to call the 2.2l motors ballerina motors....

LOL.

Looking great juice. Those little things really add up. I love how out of the box you work.

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPI Motorsports View Post

Cheer'z!
haha.

Yes, this is the 2.2 OHV turd. It def has more power in it now that my fueling issues are at least temporarily solved. Im starting on a surge tank setup with dual pump that will be my final solution. Stay tuned for that.

And Bandit - Thanks! Ive never really been one for boxes.... (I should post the build thread for the cabriolet Im building up here.)

Dan
Old 09-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Master Fabricator

Just about finished up the heat tonight. Im just waiting on clamps that will be here tomorrow. Then I can just reroute the hoses in the engine bay to the firewall and boom, heat.

The actuator cable for the shutoff valve isnt super sexy but it will work until I come up with some dash panels and a convenient place / way to mount it.

Dan
Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Hose clamps came in friday. Managed to score some garage time yesterday and got the clamps on and the hoses swapped over on the motor. Everything works great. Puts out great heat, or none with the vavle closed, and no leaks! win

I have a few other little things Id like to check off my list then Im going to get started on the surge tank. The 8" alum tubing for it showed friday :)

Dan
Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Master Fabricator

Starting to make some progress on the surge tank. I modeled the Y block in Solidworks and machined it myself. The barb fittings, which I turned down from NPT fittings, are press fit (obviously). The model for the tank lid mounting ring is done, Im just waiting it to be machined.

I also started on a design for the hanger bracket to hold both pumps. It needs a bit of tweaking, but Im hoping to have that made this week as well.

Dan
Old 11-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Master Fabricator

even your heater is kick ass... keep on, your work rocks.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Master Fabricator

Solid build, great job.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks guys!

Almost done with the fuel pump hanger. Just need to cut a couple slots for the clamps and it should be ready to weld to the tank lid. (and no, thats not fuel line, just some crap for the mockup)

Dan
Old 11-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Looks great. How do you plan to pass through the electrical? I've been thinking about building my own tank with an in tank pump and I don't know where to get fuel rated wiring, terminals and pass throughs.

Is that going to hold two pumps with a return line somewhere else or is that second barb for return?

Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Master Fabricator

For the pass through my plan is to just use some plastic shouder washers, some sealant and a couple of 10-32 bolts. I think its the best way to get a good connection without spending 200 bux on a specialized connector, or an OE connector (like Racetronix sells) with undersized wire. If you want I can mail you out a few of the shoulder washers as I had to buy a bag full from mcmaster (it was either 50 or 100 pcs).

The wiring on the pump is already fuel rated, and for the terminals I will probably just use nylon insulated ring lugs or maybe just non inuslated rings as they will be pretty far from the tank wall.

Yes, this for two 255l/hr walbro pumps with single -8 outlet. I just dont have the second pump yet. The return line will come back to the surge tank.

Dan

Last edited by juicedz4; 11-11-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
For the pass through my plan is to just use some plastic shouder washers, some sealant and a couple of 10-32 bolts. I think its the best way to get a good connection without spending 200 bux on a specialized connector, or an OE connector (like Racetronix sells) with undersized wire. If you want I can mail you out a few of the shoulder washers as I had to buy a bag full from mcmaster (it was either 50 or 100 pcs).

The wiring on the pump is already fuel rated, and for the terminals I will probably just use nylon insulated ring lugs or maybe just non inuslated rings as they will be pretty far from the tank wall.

Dan
That is what I was thinking but you might have to make sure you make a pigtail with a connector on the external wiring so that you don't have to loosen the pass throughs (no back up wrench in the tank).

I wonder if Deutsch makes a "gas" compatible bulkhead?
We use them all the time on Diesel engine valve covers to run the injectors, they have a far more severe life than any race car, just not sure on the fuel issue.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Master Fabricator

two things.

1. in my case, and probably with most, the terminals will mount to the "sending unit" lid. So they will be accessable when the lid is unbolted and the pumps removed.

2. I would likely have double nuts on one side of the lid to hold the feed thru studs captive even if you disconnect the wires. Proabably using some distorted thread nuts so as to not over compress the shoulder washers while remaining tight and fuel safe.

There are tons of fuel compatible bulkheads, they are just too damn expensive. I hate when a single connector costs more than both pumps.

Dan
Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
For the pass through my plan is to just use some plastic shouder washers
What type of plastic did you choose? I haven't had to deal with fuel compatability issues, but it seems to be turning into more and more of an issue these days. I appreciate the offer on mailing some; I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Nylon. They should be ok with fuel. Id be more worried about them if I went to straight E85 (which is still up in the air as I my 80lb/hr injectors arent big enough). But yes, as fuel contains more ethanol it becomes more of an issue.

I figured worst case I would just replace them once a year or sometihng (since I bought 100).

I got the mcmaster p/n from a thread over on pirate 4x4. Some guys were using them in custom tanks.

EDIT: I just did some more googling and found that Nylon has an "excellent" resistance rating to gasoline up to 120*F, and to ethanol up to 72*F. So these should work just fine, at least for gas. Also it looks like the plastic fuel lines that some cars use are acutally Nylon.

Dan

Last edited by juicedz4; 11-11-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Not that it's an issue, but there are differences among nylons. I am not a material scientist, but I was considering nylon for a tooling project a few years ago and found several variants with differences in strength, dimensional stability, and machinability (as it relates to dimensional stablility). I was not as concerned with chemical compatability and there may be no difference there, just something to think about.