Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Swapped in my new injectors today. Got MS reconfigured and took it for a quick spin and snapped a couple pics. Its still filthy, but from this far away I thought it looked pretty good.

full res: http://clubhousecustoms.com/gallery2...1/IMG_4198.JPG

full res: http://clubhousecustoms.com/gallery2...1/IMG_4199.JPG

full res: http://clubhousecustoms.com/gallery2...1/IMG_4201.JPG

Dan
Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Fabricator

Not being a Chevy guy I wouldn't have thought I'd like it, but you're definitely building an awesome car. Very nice!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks!

Not sure wtf Ive been doing lately, but it certainly hasnt been working on or driving the car.

Last night, though, I finally went out to start on the scaling and alignment.

- rolled the car out and leveled the floor (8' level comes in handy for this, although Id like to make a water level setup someday)

- got the car on the scales, tire pressure set and checked the corner weights

With 1/2 tank of gas the final weight is 2424lbs

With me and the scale control box in the car its

2626lbs total distributed as:

862 813
488 463

51.4% Left
63.8% Front
50.5% cross weight (target of 50.0%)

-setup the strings, measured the rear alignment and got the alignment shims all ready to install.

I may try to get out tonight and get the rear shims installed, and the ebrakes fully operational.

Dan
Old 07-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Master Fabricator

Took last friday off and got most of the alignment done.

Shimmed the rear hubs. Added these metal push nuts to hold the hub/backing plate / spacer assembly together while its off the car. It made pulling them off and on SOO much simpler.

Then I ran into a problem with the front tie rods. They were so long that I could only get the front toe to 1.5" total, haha. Saturday afternoon I ran over to Transporters house and he turned down the tie rods for me. An hour or two later I had them in and the front toe set.

For now Im running these settings

Front:
-1.6 deg camber
0 toe

Rear
-1.0 deg camber
1/8" total toe in

So now my alignment is all set and the ebrake is functional again.

Time to finally get some miles on it, starting tomorrow.

Dan
Old 07-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post

Time to finally get some miles on it, starting tomorrow.

Dan
Cool!

E

Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Master Fabricator

Put a few miles on tonight. It ran and shifted just fine.

I have a small rubbing noise in the rear which may just be an ebrake pad, not sure yet.

That and my headlights are in owl hunter mode, so I need to get them adjusted before I do much more night driving.

Dan
Old 07-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Junior Fabricator

You will probably want more camber and caster than you currently have. I would expect the car will be much happier with as much caster as you can get and probably -2+ front caster and depending on how the car feels, probably that much in the rear. Depending on where you steering rack is located and the angles of your control arms you may want 1/16 or so worth of toe out in the front. The car will turn in better. You probably should bumpsteer the front and rear to see where you are. In the rear you may want less toe in to help the car rotate.

Car looks great. Now time to get it to the track and see how it does with the new improvements.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Master Fabricator

Ya, I had to start somehwere. I figure Ill learn to drive it again like this and then start tweaking.

-------

Finally got a free weekend to work on the car. Sat am I drove around for an hour or two then I drained the E85 and switched back to 93 oct. I just dont have the fuel system to make 400hp on E85 and I really dont feel like upgrading anything else. So Im just gona see what I can do with what I got. Then I did some quick rescaling and verified it still runs ok.

Anyway, I discovered the rubbing noise was the tire on the ebrake cables. A couple zip ties fixed that up. Also I noticed that I never tightened all the jamb nuts on the rear K brace or swaybar endlinks, oops.

Sat pm and today I finally made the duct / mount for the oil cooler and got it all plumbed in. (Ill post pics later on tonight or in the am).

Im hoping if the weather holds out (isnt too stupid hot or rainy) Ill be getting tuned this week.

----------

Pics of the oil cooler mount / ducting (only half for now).

Not bad for being bent between two pieces of angle iron clamped together. The curved flange I bent using a piece of aluminum bar stock that I cut a groove into. Bent it little by little, then hammered smooth.

Compared to my old remote filter, tstat and cooler setup, I now have 360degs less fittings, 12 less joints (stupid NPT adapters) and probably 8' less hose.

Dan
Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Master Fabricator

I was gona take the car out tonight until I realized I left the key on yesterday and the batt was completely dead. When I pulled off the trunk lid I noticed the spring loaded contact dealo sitting in the spare tire well. Since I hate having to cut the wires when I want to take off the trunk lid lol, I decided to make use of the contacts finally.

First I had to cut a 1/8" thick trim ring for the trunk side fixed contacts. Then I epoxied the whole assy to the inside of the lid.

Next, I made up a flat aluminum bracket, utilizing the two mounting screws that hold the lid mounting rails to the car. A couple simple standoffs, some paint and wiring later and BOOM, a working setup.

So now I have one more thing checked off my list AND a charged battery.

Dan
Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice. Love seeing updates on this car. Very nice work as always.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Master Fabricator

Well, today coudl have been better. It rained, we experienced an ignition issue (which I believe was heat related due to the lack of airflow), and then when things were finally going ok, my pass side inner cv boot ripped at 80mph spraying grease all over the serp belt and engine bay, causing the belt to fly off. That was the end of the day.

We did manage to get fuel tuned up to just over 100kpa and 5800 rpms. So all wasnt lost in the hour we were strapped down. Im gona replace the axle on wed probably and get back to tuning next weekend.

Dan
Old 08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

What are the spring contacts used for?

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
What are the spring contacts used for?
Supplying power to the license plate lights.

First, a pic of the car acutally rollin at Ricks. (yep, thats a furnace fan quickclamped to a resin lawn chair, lol. Kept my car plenty cool)

Drove down this afternoon, climbed the mountain, pulled the axle, cleaned up grease, installed a new serp belt and axle (outside) in 2.5 hours. Not bad.

Apparently my alternator didnt magically fix itself (wont charge), so Im going back to my old one for tuning, which may happen sat.

Dan
Old 08-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Dude, I gotta give props where thay're deserved.....
You've taken a POS cavalier and turned it pimp....(xept for the graphics, sorry bro)
I take my hat off to you sir for your imagination and perserverence!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks. Also Im not a huge fan of the graphics anymore, but Im sorta stuck with the two tone paint job (which looks odd without something). We painted this back in 1999, so you'll have to cut me some slack here. lol

Dan
Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Master Fabricator

I have to ask, "Are you familiar with the zip tie trick for your CV boots?"
Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
I have to ask, "Are you familiar with the zip tie trick for your CV boots?"
I am not.

EDIT: I just did some googling and figured out what you are talking about. It sounds like a good idea to vent the boots. I think its worth a try. I realy dont want to be doing this again next weekend.

EDIT2: I think I truly know what you meant now. A zip tie at each valley to keep the boot from expanding due to the centripetal force of the grease against the inside of it. Im totally doing this also.

Dan

Last edited by juicedz4; 08-03-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Master Fabricator

"centripetal" and not "centrifugal"?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Well the cavy is ready, again. Got the new alternator on, plugs changed, a heatshield made, ignition coil capacitor installed, zip ties and vents on the cv boots, and the car rolled onto the dyno rack. Rick is gonna start on it tomorrow pm.

Hopefully nothing else completely bonkers goes wrong tomorrow.

Dan
Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Master Fabricator

Rick finally worked through some issues and was able to get a few wot pulls done. This was where he stopped at 11psi tonight, sounds like there is still some power left to be had. It was still climing with timing at 25degs.

More to come.

Hoping for like 350 obserbed on the Land and Sea dyno. I just dont see 400 observed happening on that roll.

Dan