Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Bandit,

I got the paint and clear in spray cans from www.automotivetouchup.com

It was $20 for the paint, and $8 for the clear. (12oz size)

And thanks for the compliments. I cant wait to get it all finshed so I can start driving it again.

Dan
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Master Fabricator

-Painted the new pass side axle
-Welded mounts for the HID ballasts on the core support / headlight assy and painted it low gloss black
-Painted the mounting flanges of the bumper tube and installed it
-Rivited the HID ballasts in place
-Cleaned the old ass stickers off the radiator and cleaned it and the shrouding
-Cleaned up the engine bay a little

Dan
Old 04-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Junior Fabricator

Fantastic. Nice job (that is coming from a Honda guy). You should look at building some new strut housing/uprights to help fix the camber situation. That would also help you lower the car a little better without messing up the suspension geometry.

What transmission are you using? The jack shaft bearing mount looks a little flimsy, you may want to beef that up with some more contact points. The ones on my Hondas use a really beefy bearing housed in a large 3 bolt casting. Remember there is a lot of torque going through that mount.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Master Fabricator

I would love to build new uprights, maybe some year.

The transmission is acutally a Isuzu piece with a Quaife diff. I woudl agree with you about the jack shaft bracket. I will likely tie in into another higher point on the block. I just need the oil sandwich adapter first (since Im changing adapters). Ill get to that soonish.

Made the headlight harness last night, and redid the wiring on the headlights themselves. I need to either try and get a new HB cover from DDM or just cover the hole I had from the other HID (Im just running low now for simplicity). Also need to make a bracket to hold the mating connector for the headlights since I wont be able to hold it forever.

I still need to wire up the corner and fender lights. Maybe Ill get to that sat night.

Dan
Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Master Fabricator

I had not been following this very closely...just took a look and all I can say is WOW! Nice work. This is easily the coolest Cavalier I have ever seen.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Master Fabricator

He got talent or somebody helping him does. Don't look like the work of a young teenager.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Master Fabricator

Hah, all done myself. Also Im nearly 36, so not really a young teenager, maybe at heart sometimes still.

Dan
Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Master Fabricator

Your work is impressive,sorry if I offended you. I wish that I was 36 again.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Junior Fabricator

Nice work! Wish I could plan as well as you do. Also wish I had my first car (85 Cutlass)
Old 05-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Master Fabricator

You def didnt offend me. If anything I took it as a compliement. I have no real traning doing any of this stuff so its nice to hear that Im doing well. I play electrical engineer by day.

Dan
Old 05-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-rallye View Post
You have taken one of my 5 least favorite cars and successfully turned it into something badass, excellent work! What total weight are you shootin for?
X2 Bravo!!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
I play electrical engineer by day.

Dan

I knew it, I was reading this whole thread (which I have purposely avoided because I thought it was the pep-boys car club build) thinking this guy has to be a engineer. To have such a clean car (details wise) then modify it quite a bit then have it come back together cleaner takes some talent. The fabrication/creativity is awesome and would be at home on a speed record car, monster truck or prostock car.

Sorry about the Pep-Boys car club comment, yours is definently not that
Old 05-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks!

Front is now basically done other than a new grille. For now Im going to just sorta hack in the origial grille, even tho it fits like crap, until I can get all of my carbon fiber supplies.

Tomorrow, on to the decklid.

Dan
Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Master Fabricator

The front end if finally done. I basically hate the stock grille in there but it will have to do for now. Its also better than a big gaping hole. Ill start working on the new one eventually.

Almost finished with the trunk lid mounts. I have two more to mount once the last few camloc parts come in and two more to fab up still (the two under the rear window). The license plate is mounted using two LED lit bolts at the top for the plate lights and two rivets at the bottom.

Dan
Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Junior Fabricator

Why in the world would you spend all that energy and time on a Cavalier? Who in their right mind does that?
Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Talking

2 each,his own. I think that's COOL TO BE DIFFERENT. He's not following the herd,he's thinking outside the box.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahilj View Post
Why in the world would you spend all that energy and time on a Cavalier? Who in their right mind does that?
Haha, Very funny James. Why WOULD WE do that??

Dan
Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Do you have any video of this thing in action before the recent upgrades? I've been checking out videos made with the Harry's Laptimer app for iPhones/iPods - very cool option for cheap datalogging and a video overlayed with the current track position and speed of the car.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Master Fabricator

No vids. Last summer was super mega shakedown time. I had problem after problem and really only got to drive about 500mi. My clutch was slippping like mad with anything over 10psi so it wasnt really much fun.

This summer should be much better. Hopefully Ill have vids in the next month or so.

Dan
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Master Fabricator

I havent updated this in some time but I have been chipping away.

-added an attional brace to my jackshaft bracket
-installed passenger axle, FINALLY
-trunk lid mounts are complete. I still need to mount the spring terminal connections for the plate lights, but Ill get to that eventually
-finally fabbed up a shock hood prop. The top mount is quick release so I can unhook it in the garage (I like to tie the hood straight up and down for easy access). All parts for it were sourced from McMaster
-rear hubs and brakes are completely assembled along with all the front suspension (just needs alignment)
-clutch issue solved by adding a pedal stop

Also finally recieved my new oil cooler and Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate (took like 6 weeks to get)

And a few pics:

And the new oil cooler and tstat/sandwich adapter. My old seutp was rediculously complicated. Remote mount filter, separate Tstat and a crappy B&M cooler. By going to this setup I lose 10 connection points and like 450 degrees in fittings. Basicaly itll just be two hoses, win.

Tonight I backed it out of the garage, and right back in, no issues. The clutch was fine and it ran well. I just didnt have time to take it for a spin.

Dan