Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Master Fabricator

Personally, I prefer the smoothed down welds, do it all the time!
There are damn few welders that produce welds that I find perfect enough to leave, damn few and I sure ain't one of them!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Master Fabricator

i totally agree... i`m still not 100% happy with that tank the stop-starts are a bit dodgy... but i had to try and silence som doubters hhahaha
Old 03-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Master Fabricator

been a while but i have been doing stuff i promise!!!

started laying the dash out but think i`ve put the aux power socket and hazard too high.. so may well scrap it and start again....

finished the brackets for the wipers and also chopped the brackets on the frame that would have mounted to the scuttle:

then set about filling in all the bulkhead holes that werent needed.. TEDIOUS to say the least!!

now ya see it:

now ya dont!:

bloody loads over this side!!!

all gone!!

got the dash mocked up but i`m not happy with it.....

going to move the aux power socket and the hazard switch down and move 1 of the toggles (the engine start one) onto that row and move the rear fog up onto top row...

that`ll give 2 banks of 4 and at the bottom (looking from pasenger to driver) hazard - aux - engine start...

i`m not too disappointed as i`d kind of knew i`d be lucky to get the layout right first time...

the 4 push buttons to control the digital dash will be mounted up in the right hand side air vent blanking panel.. (i think they scroll through the display screens and control the lap timing functions of the dash)

the battery master switch will go where those 2 switch holes are to the right of the HORN toggle..

the relay box will be mounted in the dash hidden under the squishy bit in front of passenger..

fuel pumps will be controlled by the ECU via a realy so if i crash into a hideous twisted lump of metal or stall the fuel supply will be cut automatically...
Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Master Fabricator

the original layout was buggin me so i made another:

next job.. mount the facet pump..

first i needed a bracket.. luckily a rummage in the "useful" bucket found a suitable pressing:

i chopped a bit out and capped the ends.. welded some cative nuts in and buzzed it onto the shell:

facets require rubber mounts (something to do with vibrations..) so i found these doing very little on a scania at work and robbed them! works a treat!

swung into BGC for some more shiny shizzle!.. unfortunatly i still need a 180degree fitting to go from the top of the pump to the tank though that should be here thurs/fri and i can get all the pipes as far as the bulkhead:

Old 03-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Master Fabricator

awesome build argon guy

not sure how i missed this before ah well - subscribed now !

i see you have a photobucket account as well LOL

Old 03-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Master Fabricator

yup... photobucket is now starting to annoy me!! links failing all the time and VERY slow to use uploading!!

anyhow...

more progress!

the fuel and brake lines (not in shot) are all in as far as the bulkhead (and you can see all the holes i welded up in the bulkhead too)

at the buisness end....

then had a delivery from france and couldn`t resist taking a couple of shots...

Old 03-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonsniffer View Post
yup... photobucket is now starting to annoy me!! links failing all the time and VERY slow to use uploading!!
]

yea, sorry on that - it gets old when people start blaming you (or me) personaly for bad links - as though its something you did on purpose. - oh well -

nice work
Old 03-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:

anyhow...

more progress!

the fuel and brake lines (not in shot) are all in as far as the bulkhead (and you can see all the holes i welded up in the bulkhead too)

at the buisness end....

then had a delivery from france and couldn`t resist taking a couple of shots...

Now this is not a knock.. dont you worry about having the fuel delivery system in the open air in the cockpit?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Master Fabricator

yup.. its not the greatest solution.. if i had the choice to go back and do it again i think i might make the tank smaller and sit the low pressure pump inside the steel box then come out with a bulkhead fitting and have a lid on the box...

another future mod may be making another tank with an internal reservoir and having just the high pressure pump inside the steel box.. and do away with the swirl pot in the engine bay..
Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
haha many thanks... my mate BIC has a much much much bigger budget and is building a very nice wide arch example.. if you haven`t seen it i can give you details of his blog...

Would love to have a look at that blog - any link to it? Did you get the front TCA's made yet?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Master Fabricator

not 100% sure where theres a proper blog but all of his pics can be found here:

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...PUG/?start=all

not been on for a while due to work/laptop breaking/buying stuff for the house...

but this is how it stands at the minute....

i started making some new steering arms.. the outboard end is 5/8th UNF x 1/2" bore which wasn`t a problem... BUT the std peugeot inboard end was M14x1.5 LEFT HAND!!!! now this caused an issue in getting a threaded insert as nowhere in the uk had any.. so i had to buy a tap (30!) and making my own...

fingers crossed by moving the arm from above the strut to below it. and eing able to space it up and down i can dial out a bit of the dreaded bumpsteer..

decided to have a play with the topmounts and see how much camber i could now get......

A LOT was the answer!!

next up was a BIG mistake... a list of jobs "to do"... this is page 1 of 3 in total!

i also treated the car to a cover as i was sick of things getting covered in dust inside...

Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Master Fabricator

wow...ur car looks like a blast to drive!!! great work!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Master Fabricator

a bit of a s*itty day sunday!! during 1 of the many "sit in the car and make rev noises!" sessions i noticed that when strapped in the top of the dash was obscured by the top of the steering wheel!! a MAJOR oversight on my part.. partly due to me now using a smaller wheel and also dropping the colomn slightly from standard..

but!! despite being busy at work.. tea breaks + lunch = opportunity!!

1 new blanking plate and bracket to hold the display unit..

that bolts nicely onto the stalk mount on the colomn

it needs a tweak clockwise but at least i can see the full display now!!!

fingers crossed a few coats of etch+primer at work tommorow and i can have them all satin black`d ready to fit at the weekend!!

i ordered a few laser cut bits to fit a flange onto the motorbike bodies so i can fit aftermarket trumpets (think you US lot refer to them as velocity stacks??) anyhow,, the bits:

once arrived...

steel jig had the ally flanges bolted up to it.. it was then layed onto the bodies and they were tiggy-tig`d onto the bodies..

hey presto all cleaned up and the world of easily available jenvey trumpets is all mine!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Master Fabricator

inbetween perving at the birds friend and supping beer with northernphil + TDFmatt things have been done... HONEST!

matt talked me through things i have to do before its ready to get wired (as it happens i`m a bit closer than i thought so thats a WIN)

i then got thinking about that de-servo idea like on the JAMmotorsport maxi ...

after speaking to some bloke from JAM 2 things became apparent..

1- there ****ing shite at customer service and despite 2 calls they still haven`t got back to me with a price
2- when quized about just what goes into the kit they got a bit cagey and just mentioned "modified std parts"

so i did the only sensible thing....

yes folks i ripped the servo apart!!!

the important bits are the 2 items at the bottom..

the gold part fixes to the rocker on the bulkhead and pushes against the black part inside the servo and that in turn fits into the master cylinder and pushed the fluid...

so... in doing away with the black bit the servo can be binned and i can machine up an ally plate (20mm thick) and mount the master cylinder onto that!!!

happy days!!

i also started machining up the bungs for the secondary butterfly holes in the bodies...

these get pressed into the body and will be peened (posh term for HIT) so they stay put.. the inside can then be ground flush to the bore...

woop woop!!

seeings as the dash will get al its info from the wheel speed sensor i needed to block the speedo cable drive hole in the box so...

take a chunk of ally...

add a lathe and a lunch break and hey presto..

even took the time to cut a groove to reuse the std rubber Oring...

new water pipe to fit on the back of the block to do away with the heater matrix return......

the feed for it in the thermostat housing has already been chopped off and welded up....
Old 06-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Master Fabricator

as usual....great work!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Master Fabricator

many thanks kegger...

note to self: dust the coffee table before the missus starts moaning at me!! hahaha
Old 07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Master Fabricator

been a little while but i have been doing stuff.. (mostly NON car stuff but i have done some stuff!!)

as mentioned in post 94 /\/\/\/\ up there... i`m ditching the servo and mounting the master cylinder dirctly to the linkage...

unfortunatly JAMmotorsport proved to be useless at providing and info/prices even phoning me bak with details seemed to much for them.. so.. i drew this on CAD:

gave it to my mate Spanky along with a billet.. and after some CNC programming he came back with this:

while AUTOCAD was fired up i also drew some boorbar gussets.. these are a bit over the top... but. they look so cool hahahahaha

i also got around to getting my ECU and CANlink cable to connect to the digital dash display..

Old 07-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Fabricator

Dont know much about the car your building but I must say i appreciate the craftmanship invovled. Nice build, only one problem.............steering wheels on the wrong side. jk. gipperz
Old 07-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
as mentioned in post 94 /\/\/\/\ up there...
ASSuming that keyboards are the same there, just hit shift 6. ^^^ There, I just saved you more time in your life to work on the car
Old 07-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Master Fabricator

left hand drive over here just makes overtaking scary!! haha

decided to see if spankys machined item fitted earlier...

despite having been a CAD draughtsman for 5 years.. and being a machinist/fabricator/tinkerer for well over 16 years theres STILL always a niggle in the back of my head saying "what if i mis-measured something" this voice gets a LOT louder when someone else has invested time in the job.. however!!

the first 4 bolts went in a treat......

then i lined up the master cylinder and gave it a push...

happy days!!! a quick tweak on the brake bar to remove any slack in the linkage and the job was declared a winner!!!!

big big big thanks again to the mighty spank!! swarf producer par excellence!!!

i also took a pic of the worlds shortest 106 throttle cable lol