Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 PM
Fabricator

This is awesome. Perfect application for the fixture table. I'll be following this one for sure.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:50 AM
Master Fabricator

Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it soon. We've been overrun in the shop lately. We don't normally work Satudays but we have been working most of them trying to keep up. Having one day off a week kinda cuts short free time for projects. It will be nice to make some more progress on this.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:56 PM
Master Fabricator

We managed to make some more progress on this. We received all the material for the nose so we started off cutting tubing. After cutting everything, we had to drill 4 holes in 4 pieces of tubing. They need to line up pretty well because there are plates with weld nuts that get slid inside of the tubing to provide mounting points. Our Bridgeport is a great way to do this.

Once the pieces were drill and welded the inserts in, we used a square to lay them out. You can see the directions book in the background suggesting to o do it this way. It sure makes it way easy and quick.

Another sub assembly needed to be made before we could put the nose together. The jig table makes this pretty easy. We had to do several so we put the 90s on to make it easy to load a second set of tubing without having to do a bunch of centering again.

We put some tabs on them and called them done for now.

We cut out this alignment plate on our cnc plasma and bolted it to the inserts that we had welded in previously. This let us line up the sub assembly and the front lower control arm mount.

We rolled it up on it's front so we could put in the spacer tubes. It was close but not quite the correct dimensions we had to pull it in line.

We had to make one more sub assembly before we could put the nose together.

Here's one of the nose pieces with everything all tacked together.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Fabricator

Awesome documentation. It's looking great. There's no doubt that the effort you're putting into ensuring accuracy now will pay dividends as the chassis comes together. Good work.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Time sure flys by sometimes. I've not been able to work on the buggy as much as I would like. I've had a lot of things that have taken up my time instead of working on my buggy project. We made all the bushings for the front and rear control arms the other day. We decided to give a try making them in our newly accquired VMC. Getting the VMC delivered, setup, and tooled up is one of the things that has taken up my buggy project time. It's also a steep learning curve to go from manual machinery to running a cnc mill.

We cut all the bar stock to length. We cut the piece a bit longer as to have enough to hold onto. The excess was to be machined off afterwards in the second operation.

Here's Jason, my BIL who is building the second buggy, running bushings in our VMC.

Two full sets of bushings done with the first operation.

On to the second operation. This was just facing the shoulder to length and chamfering the holes.

Here's the full sets all done with 5 spares.

We'll be back to bending tube and building the frames shortly.

Last edited by stock93; 04-21-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:25 AM
Fabricator

COOL!! I am building one myself! I have a decent thread started here as well.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:01 PM
Master Fabricator

I've been following your build on mbn. Your much farther along than we are. It's definitely cool to watch other peoples progress on their ar51 builds. Good inspiration. Now if I could just find more time to work on mine.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Fabricator

I don't really have anything to add, just thoroughly enjoying seeing this being built. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Master Fabricator

Words of encouragement and questions are always welcome.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Master Fabricator

kick ass, can't wait for braaaping pix
Old 05-14-2017, 02:52 PM
Master Fabricator

Yeah I can't wait to drive this buggy. Unless things change, it's going to progress along slowly as time and money allow.

We started off this round cutting some more tubing.

Sometimes things just don't go as planned.

I of course forgot to order a spare blade last time I ordered stuff like this. Time to try my hand at welding it up. I figured getting it lined up good would be the first step.

These are pretty tedious to weld. I welded it on both sides then ground it down. I heated it up cherry red with a torch to try to anneal it. It worked out and is still on my saw a week later.

There's some odd notches in this part of the frame for the tubing to go through. We set them up in the mill to notch. Keep in mind since we are building two buggies that setup time isn't as much of a big deal if it means getting through the overall parts quicker. It's also hard to argue with the accuracy of using a mill. I didn't take any more pictures of stuff done in the mill but we also used it to drill all the holes in the tubes(10 ea). I'm getting fairly proficient at putting together a quick program to do things like this. I like being able to load a part in the machine and press the go button. We also made the tap plates for the motor mounts in the mill.

Laying out the next frame layer on the jig table.

Here it is all jigged up.

Jason holding up the two frame sections.

Last edited by stock93; 05-14-2017 at 03:00 PM.