Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Fabricator

So I figured an update was overdue.

I have been away for a few weeks so not as much has been done as I'd like but I am now able to put in a few days during the week so progress should speed up somewhat.

The lower link mounts are tacked in place, I think this is a stronger and more stout solution that I had previously drawn up. I will be adding in further bracing once I have a crossmember in place for the rear link mounts.

The box for the upper mounts will be coming out too and replaced with a section of tube that will brace the sill/ slider bar to the chassis rails. It seems like it will be a neater solution and will improve clearance. Looking at the boxed mount now and how low it is relative to everything else I think it'll keep getting caught up on stuff.

Then I started with the roll cage. I am using bend tech. I have to say it's awesome, there is no way I could have bent and notched the tube I did as well as I managed to without it.

So this is the idea, I haven't finished the front yet.

This is it taking shape

The box section from the seat is on is only temporary and was sued to find the height and location I wanted.

Im back at it tomorrow, planning on getting the B-Pillar area and rear section of the cage done. The two sill/slider bars were the hardest to bend up, I'd be lying if I said it didn't take a few attempts.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:06 AM
Master Fabricator

Looks awsome!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:40 AM
Expedition Vehicles Aust.

Had one of these (Bundera) as my first car back in 2000, Fitted a vortech 350. Great memories!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:30 AM
Fabricator

Bit more progress this weekend:

Old 05-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Fabricator

Hey Guys,

Been a while since my last update. A fair bits happened since then.

So while I waited for the laser cutting to be completed for the rear axle I spent some time figuring the front end out. I ended up cutting the tubes either side of the motor back. They weren't going to work the way they were. A bit of a lesson learnt here regarding the cage, don't make the tubes too complicated by adding multiple bends in multiple planes. The next one I build I'll try keep it to a max of two bends in a tube.

Anyway, back to the front end. I trimmed the fender somewhat and built the framework for the fenders to mounts to.

I managed to figure out what I was going to do for the frame within the cab, this was however the 4th iteration...

The rear axle profiles came in so that was the next job to be tackled. This is the CAD model I did.

And this is how it turned out...

Then I went on to do the shock mounts. I have the rear figured out but I still need to figure out the front shock mounts, what you see in the pics is temporary and was purely to allow the truck to support its own weight so that I could get it onto a trailer for the workshop move.

Then came the workshop move, what a ball ache that was...

So that is it for now. The new workshop is a mess so there wont be much progress over the next week or so. I have relegated myself to the fact that it wont be ready for the King of Wales race in July, so targets are now set on the King of Britain race in October, which is fine. I'd rather not try rush it and I should also then have a good bit of time for testing and working out niggles.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Badass build!