Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Fabricator

Shop Drill Press table

so this is my first personal fabrication since I have joined this forum.

I'm looking to fine tune my welding skills. I have some experience with MIG and TIG and have a little lincoln 220 mig with gas.

feel free to comment as I go along with this.....

Reciently I had a friend make a shop donation and passed along this drill press. Looks to be light duty industrial.

I needed some where to put it so I decided to make a short table for the Drill press to reside on....

started tonight... cut the frame out of 1" square and tacked together.

here are a couple shots of the tacks and fit.

I plan on covering it with a piece of 1/4" plate that overhangs the frame by an inch and adding jack screws for level adjustment.

More over the next couple of days.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Fabricator

so a couple of things happened today....

First... a new toy.... I havd a hard time seeing out of thsi old shield I have.... so its time to retire it. Picked up this auto darkenning variable control shield by miller....

I must say that I like that much better than the old one.

So I finished welding the table up today and decided to use a piece of 3/4" 12 ply plywood. It will do the job without issue and I get to keep my plate for the skid that going under my Jeep.

Here are a few pictures.... first the one that I welded last night with the old shield on.... Woa....

now some other ones from today.... I think they look better.

I'm a grinder kind of guy... I like to clean up the outside surfaces to keep the smooth look.

How do you guys like the welding? I'm still learning so critisim is welcome.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Fabricator

To continue with the day...

I decided that I needed to keep my drill bits with the drill press and get them off of my work bench so I did this....

it hold these...

and I also addressed the floor leveling issue...

Ground a 1/2" nut to fit for each corner.

then set, tacked and welded....

then to paint and wait to assemble....

just gonna put it together and mount the Drill press.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Master Fabricator

Looks pretty good to me. Its amazing how the weld quality can change simply by swapping out the helmet (or lense)!...
Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Fabricator

^ thanks... and yes, I can't believe how much better it is when you can see what you are doing. LOL

No one else have any comments? This is where most people start with fabrication.... I would rather get schooled on my welding on this than to find out that I'm not doing a good job after I build a cage for my Jeep....
Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Jack, you picked the right project for practice welding. There are lots of corners in multiple positions and nothing life dependent! Your welds look okay - you'll get better with practice. Looking at the pictures, I'd say the things to work on are (1) prepping the metal around the weld (flapper, grinder, whatever it takes to get it CLEAN) and (2) practicing a steady-consistent movement of your hand.

For a table-top drill press, this is a hell of a table. Nice work! I'd consider putting a steel top on it and making a welding table out of it. Here's my little table to give you ideas: link

Playboys, fly swatter, engine on a stand, cylinder heads on a work bench - your pictures have a lot of background content!

Ongoing 70 Nova build: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8160
Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Fabricator

on the welds, it looks like you left the thing standing up the same way for every weld. your horizontal welds look a lot better then your vertical welds (which they should when your learning). take the time to position your workpiece as flat as you can for every weld bead, it makes things easier. until you get a bit more practice you really need to adjust your settings for vertical versus horizontal welding. when welding down the puddle is pulled by gravity so you need to crank the amperage and wirespeed up a bit and move faster. also always go top to bottom. but honestly you did plenty good for that type of project.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElScorcho View Post
when welding down the puddle is pulled by gravity so you need to crank the amperage and wirespeed up a bit and move faster. also always go top to bottom.
Vertical up (going bottom to top) will give better penetration, but it's harder to make a nice looking weld.

Ongoing 70 Nova build: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8160

Last edited by TheBandit; 01-28-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Master Fabricator

Table looks good to me. I'd like to help with the weld critique more, but unless I can see them in person, I'm bad at judging them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Vertical up (going bottom to top) will give better penetration, but it's harder to make a nice looking weld.
+1. I know I don't have a ton of experience with this stuff, but everyone I know preaches that you if doing any sort of vertical weld, go up to get better Penetration. I think Vertical Up is quite easy now. Now if only you could do Spray with vertical up.

Last edited by SniperX103; 01-28-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I'd say the things to work on are (1) prepping the metal around the weld (flapper, grinder, whatever it takes to get it CLEAN) and (2) practicing a steady-consistent movement of your hand.

For a table-top drill press, this is a hell of a table. Nice work! I'd consider putting a steel top on it and making a welding table out of it. Here's my little table to give you ideas: link

Playboys, fly swatter, engine on a stand, cylinder heads on a work bench - your pictures have a lot of background content!
thanks... after looking at the pictures again it was obvious that I was lazy a bit on the clean-up of the material... I will have to be more dilligent next time. I also found there to be a big difference with hand control after the new shield... and this table will be way to short for a welding table as it is only 26" tall. I do have a piece of 1" plate on my bench for welding so I don't burn the bench (much).

and yes I have lots of crap/stuff in the shop. The engine is a fresh 350 old school style producing about 400HP and the mags were put there for effect.... you would be supprized how many people missed them in the picture.

I'm somewhat of a hoarder.... I just did a major shop clean-up and I tell ya... its very clean now. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElScorcho View Post
on the welds, it looks like you left the thing standing up the same way for every weld. your horizontal welds look a lot better then your vertical welds (which they should when your learning). take the time to position your workpiece as flat as you can for every weld bead, it makes things easier. until you get a bit more practice you really need to adjust your settings for vertical versus horizontal welding. when welding down the puddle is pulled by gravity so you need to crank the amperage and wirespeed up a bit and move faster. also always go top to bottom. but honestly you did plenty good for that type of project.
I only stood it up when I was doing the 90` inside corners and rolled it around for the sides and flipped it for the underside. But great advice...

So my welder is a lincoln 175 model... it has variable control for the wire feed but notches for the voltage.... how much more wire feed should I use when do the vertical welds? (10-15% or more) I like the "tack/tack" look so I did the 3 count pause then move.... and the top to bottom yup I knew that. A veteran welder told me that some years ago.

again, thanks for the feed back....

is there a thread on here that will help me with my welder settings for material/size/wire?

Last edited by Jak Flash; 01-28-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Fabricator

I usually will add about 10% wirespeed but it totally depends on your machine. Look under the side panel of your welder for a chart on material thickness/settings. Set it to the machines suggested setting and practice, theyre usually pretty close but your hand controls half of the process. Also, any penetration advantage you would have welding "vertical up" can be nullified with your amperage/wirespeed settings, and you'll have way better control of the puddle.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Fabricator

^ thanks again... I will practice.

Are there any issues with welding the "tack/tack" look when it comes to overall strength of the weld?

and is recommended to push or pull the weld bead? I've heard from different people that either one is superior to the other.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Master Fabricator

when you do get to welding your self a bed cage or suspension components i would strongly advise aganst grinding your weld down... if you like the smoth look use a little bondo in the welds then sand it smoth a bunch of my dads harley buddies do this they call it a seamless finish
Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Fabricator

all done...

thanks for all the feedback. I have been reading tons on this forum and I have much more to read and learn.

what A great site.