View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Master Fabricator

A vertical down weld will typically produce a flat to concave weld which has less elongation as opposed to a vertical up weld producing a convex weld. According to the theory on vertical up welding, it is supposed to produce better penetration than a vertical down. This is sometimes hard for me to believe, since to weld vertical up, you need to turn your machine way down as compared to a flat or vertical down weld on the same material. Of course you are moving a bit slower with a vertical up weld giving it more time to heat the material. I have some pics of some vertical up welds, but they are on my home computer....I'll try and post them up later.

As for vertical down welding, one of the advantages of it is speed. The machine can be turned up fairly hot and the travel speed can be increased considerably. Of course to produce a quality weld in that position and speed takes an experienced welder. During all the years I worked in production shops building wood stoves, pellet stoves, and gun safes we always welded vertical down. On the heavier material, such as 3/16 and 1/4, we would run either .035 or .045 in a spray or semi-spray transfer mode. The only time we had any failures was from an inexperienced welder that wasn't familiar with the process