View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
Well this post is mostly for CarterKraft but it might help out others too.

Primary air comes in through the front door goes up the sides and washes down the door glass (to keep it clean) and feeds the fire at the front bottom. The smoke rises and travels forward, up and around the smoke shelf and across the secondary combustion tubes finally going back along the roof of the stove to the chimney. Secondary air travels from the front lower corners through 1" x 2" rectangular tube along the bottom corners and up the back corners and feed out through 4- 1" stainless steel tubes with a series of 3/16 holes drilled down their length. The long path for the secondary air allows it to preheat before it enters the hot smoke. I hope that all makes sense.

To have secondary combustion occur the smoke and fresh air needs to be really hot (somewhere between 700 and 1200 degrees F, the info on the net is pretty vague on this) so the fire box needs to be lined with refractory insulation. The fire box is everything below the smoke shelf, the smoke shelf should also be refractory insulation.

Here you can see the insulation and the secondary combustion tubes.

The door needs to have a rope seal all the way around it so that primary air can have positive control, we don't want an uncontrolled over fire.

Here you can see the seal. My primary air control is in the door so I also needed to seal this to the air inlet in the front of the fire box.

Jaysin
Sorry for all the questions but you have built the finest example i have seen to date, this stove is on par with what I would like to build.

Ok so if you had to do this again since the air has to be sealed through the door might you keep the air controls out of the door? It would just make it easier to package I think but might not look near as clean.

Do you think there is a benefit to separating the secondary and primary air supplies for individual control of each air supply and tuning?

Glass.... Did you have it made, buy a premade piece for another stove or?
How is it attached, I see the blocks and what looks like bolts/studs but can't make out what is actually going on. Did you seal the glass to the door, high temp RTV or fireplace glue?

Refractory, those pieces look like one piece. Does that mean you made your own refractory cement?

Air tube holes, I was going to copy the air holes from a similar sized commercial stove I have downloaded the manual for, did you just guess or do something similar.

Smoke shelf, did you buy a ceramic plate for the top of the secondary tubes, or make a refractory piece or?

Again sorry to bomb you with these questions but I feel like you have a grasp on what you are doing and the theory behind it. Also don't worry about being to thorough, I am just curious what you did and if you would do something different. I have a design but would love to hear any thing you could have done differently.