OFN Forums

OFN Forums (http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fabrication (http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Bending Brass Tube (http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11365)

Bray D 09-22-2015 02:48 PM

Bending Brass Tube
 
I have a buddy that is building a bar and wants to integrate some brass into it. I've never worked with brass, so I'm not sure how well it takes to bending and such. He's wanting a wrap around foot rest as well as some corner brackets.

I did some brief searching (onlinemetals.com) and it looks like 330 brass has decent properties for form-ability. Respectable strength numbers as well.

I'd be looking to roll it in my Swag outfitted HF tube roller and possibly bend it with my Pro Tools 105 rotary draw bender.

Is it worth giving it a shot? I was hoping to hear from others who have had success before investing a bunch of money on material. This stuff isn't cheap.

deaner 09-22-2015 10:46 PM

Don't know, but would love to see pics if you bend some up.

Bray D 09-23-2015 07:52 AM

I may have jumped the gun a bit. Sounds like he's leaning towards polished aluminum after seeing the price of the brass.

I still haven't bent aluminum before, so it'll be a new venture for me regardless. I'll post up some pics if we follow through with it.

entropy 09-23-2015 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bray D (Post 138568)
I may have jumped the gun a bit. Sounds like he's leaning towards polished aluminum after seeing the price of the brass.

I still haven't bent aluminum before, so it'll be a new venture for me regardless. I'll post up some pics if we follow through with it.

You'll want it in a 'T0' state, or buy pipe because it is a bunch cheaper and is in T0 or close to it.

E

jackalope 09-23-2015 12:26 PM

Man, I would really push for brass on a bar. I am not sure what the rest of the bar looks like but Aluminum sounds questionable. That's a big deal so price shouldn't be THE main issue for such a focal point.

Bray D 10-19-2015 02:27 PM

The price of aluminum scared him too. We ultimately landed on steel and I've been waiting on final dims for the table so I can present a design.

No word for a couple weeks. This project may be dead in the water.

RogueFab 11-18-2015 07:05 PM

Well, a bit late now... but I should share anyway.

We just tested 2.0x.125 in our bender (another rotary draw machine, like your 105 except it's vertical and electric/hydraulic). It bent just fine, all the way past 90 degrees.

We have also bent 1.75x.125, 1.50x.125, 1.0x.125 square.

We ran all the tests on the tougher to bend (read- likes to crack) 6061 alloy in T6 temper. No heat, no sand.

Steel will be easy to finish and make it look nice, and most benders are best suited for that material.

Bray D 11-21-2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueFab (Post 139319)
Well, a bit late now... but I should share anyway.

We just tested 2.0x.125 in our bender (another rotary draw machine, like your 105 except it's vertical and electric/hydraulic). It bent just fine, all the way past 90 degrees.

We have also bent 1.75x.125, 1.50x.125, 1.0x.125 square.

Brass? Which alloy? What bend radii?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueFab (Post 139319)
We ran all the tests on the tougher to bend (read- likes to crack) 6061 alloy in T6 temper. No heat, no sand.

I haven't played around with aluminum tube yet, but I used my brake to bend some flat stock a few weeks ago. It was 6061-T6 and I didn't have any issues. 1/8" thick flat stock with a surprisingly small bend radius. I don't have a set of radius gauges, but I'd approximate a .0625" inside radius.

That being said, I could see far more stress being induced with bending tube.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueFab (Post 139319)
Steel will be easy to finish and make it look nice, and most benders are best suited for that material.

Indeed.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2012, Offroad Fabrication Network