OFN Forums

OFN Forums (http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/index.php)
-   OFN-FE Chit Chat (http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   CAD file(s) for Gear tooth (http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10027)

entropy 09-21-2012 05:30 PM

CAD file(s) for Gear tooth
 
So I'm curious if anyone has or knows where to find a (preferably) simple Gear Tooth Profile. I have a personal project that I need to generate a set of gears for; both of the gears that mesh will be plazma cut so that should give you the level of precision I need.

E

JaysinSpaceman 09-21-2012 08:12 PM

My 19th edition on Machinery's Handbook has a good section on gearing including spur gears which is what I think you want.

Here's a link to a PDF version of the 28th edition. I didn't look to see that it has the same section but I would think it would.

Don't bother with that link it is just the index, but you could probably find the chapter(s) you need on the web.

Jaysin

CarterKraft 09-21-2012 08:28 PM

there is a gear plug in for sketchup that makes cool gears Involute gear , the makers of mach3 also have a gear creator Gearotic

not what you asked for but it's all I have to add...

there is a dxf exporter for sketchup also, I know sketchup is just a toy compared to SW etc but it does work.

entropy 09-21-2012 09:42 PM

Have that book and others, but nothing in CAD.
Just looking for a 2D sketch of something like a 6DP for instance.

E

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman (Post 122996)
My 19th edition on Machinery's Handbook has a good section on gearing including spur gears which is what I think you want.

Here's a link to a PDF version of the 28th edition. I didn't look to see that it has the same section but I would think it would.

Don't bother with that link it is just the index, but you could probably find the chapter(s) you need on the web.

Jaysin


TheBandit 09-21-2012 09:47 PM

If you decide to make it from scratch here's a decent writeup.
http://www.cartertools.com/involute.html

entropy 09-21-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarterKraft (Post 122997)
there is a gear plug in for sketchup that makes cool gears Involute gear , the makers of mach3 also have a gear creator Gearotic

not what you asked for but it's all I have to add...

there is a dxf exporter for sketchup also, I know sketchup is just a toy compared to SW etc but it does work.

Thank You that second one may be just the ticket!:beer:

Oh and SW is a long way out of my budget at the moment:laughing1:

SomeGuyFromOlympia 09-22-2012 12:24 AM

here

http://www.idleamusements.com/Software/sprocketeer2.htm

CarterKraft 09-23-2012 06:37 PM

I have both the plugins for the gear and DXF exporter, If you want me to demo a a gear I need the,

1. number of teeth= ?
2. pressure angle = 14.5, 20.0, 25.0
3. pitch radius = ?

And if you want it in a dxf, polyface mesh, polylines, triangular mesh, lines or stl.

entropy 09-23-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarterKraft (Post 123036)
I have both the plugins for the gear and DXF exporter, If you want me to demo a a gear I need the,

1. number of teeth= ?
2. pressure angle = 14.5, 20.0, 25.0
3. pitch radius = ?

And if you want it in a dxf, polyface mesh, polylines, triangular mesh, lines or stl.

:laughing1::beer:Haven't managed to get beyond the pitch circles and it is going to be a bit as I'm tied up in Six:smokin:

CarterKraft 09-23-2012 07:43 PM

No worries there. I played with it again to get familiar but quickly realized there is gonna be some measuring that has to take place to before you can just "make" some gears.
If you need em' let me know.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2012, Offroad Fabrication Network